Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Its saying on the SIS website that "Registration for modules in this semester is currently closed." on most of them! Will this change or stay like that, since we should be able to register now for some semester 2 modules?? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

It'll open some time today (as in Thursday 6th) and you will be able to change them then. As far as I know, they don't publish an exact time when it opens, but a few of my friends have been saying 3pm (and they are waiting to change electives).

I personally think it'll be earlier than 3, keep an eye on SIS anyway. I don't think they want everybody flooding on there at once, and hence don't give an exact time for when it opens. I believe it was the same system before Semester 1 started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

As Tim said, they don't give a definite time so the servers don't crash. It's usually about 6am, could be later though. You just have to keep checking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭MariaBabii

Cool will do!!! Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I hate the old waiting game for online registration or modules changes. For some strange reason it makes me a wee bit nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Anyone else awake waiting for reg to open? so tired... *yawn*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Caro88

Anyone any idea of whether it'll be up in like the am or pm at least?? so annoying, am afraid to go to sleep in case i miss out!!:(

I've stayed up all night but it's not like I put much effort into staying up. My sleeping patterns have gone absolutely haywire over the Christmas, to such an extent that I'm now fully nocturnal - I haven't seen the light of day in two days!!!

It normally opens around this time! Think it opened at 6.30am in September but that was unusually early!

9am and still no action!! Am so sleepy!!! This has to be the earliest I've ever been awake for college and they would seem to be asleep!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭tommylizard

The online registration `change of mind´dates for Semester 2 modules are from Thurs, 6 January 2011 to Fri, 28 January 2011 at 5pm inclusive??. The `change of mind´dates for Smurfit School of Business students are different, this semester, and are confirmed directly to students by their Programme.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/registration.html

The online registration `change of mind´dates for Semester 2 modules are from Thurs, 6 January 2011 to Fri, 28 January 2011 at 5pm inclusive??. The `change of mind´dates for Smurfit School of Business students are different, this semester, and are confirmed directly to students by their Programme.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/registration.html

That means it closes on Jan 28th at 5pm. They never give an opening time so that the servers don't crash.

kkumk wrote: »
    That means it closes on Jan 28th at 5pm. They never give an opening time so that the servers don't crash.

Well they have given the opening times before if I do recall, unfortunately not on this occasion.

We're in business.

Can you not pick up new subject streams??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Can't swap modules!!!

I doubt it at this stage, you'd probably have to go to the programme office. Just electives and option modules online.

Well they have given the opening times before if I do recall, unfortunately not on this occasion.

Really!? This is my 3rd year in UCD and I don't remember ever being told what time reg opens at!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Painful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

The drop/swap action isn't working for me. Can I drop a module and then pick the module I want?

• Advertisement

Has anybody here swapped an option module for another before (within History)? The option I want is full - should I ask the programme office of school of History could I squeeze into the one I want...

If it's full, I doubt they can do anything. Just keep checking back while registration is open. In September I had none of the modules I wanted, but I just kept checking back and eventually got them all. I'd say that's what the programme office will just advise you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

Has anybody here swapped an option module for another before (within History)? The option I want is full - should I ask the programme office of school of History could I squeeze into the one I want...

I'm in History as wel and everything is full. But after checking a good few times every hour since this morning I'm after getting into one of my options.. Thats pretty much what ya have to keep doing,you have to hope someone drops their option and you see it to register before someone else gets it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Don't forget to check this page every so often. If a module is full, contact the programme office as extra places can be offered in certain cases. Then as is mentioned above, some students drop a module and it can be selected on SIS.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/moduleplaces.html
    Where possible, additional places on previously full Semester two modules will be made available from 3.00pm each day from Thursday 6th January until Friday 28th January.
    Details of modules for which places will be released are listed below. This page is updated frequently so please add it to your favourites and check it regularly for updates.

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    I'm in History as wel and everything is full. But after checking a good few times every hour since this morning I'm after getting into one of my options.. Thats pretty much what ya have to keep doing,you have to hope someone drops their option and you see it to register before someone else gets it!

Hey what are you looking to swap? Just on the off chance! I want to drop Causes of WW1 and do the Australian History one...

I'd say there are a few ppl in the same boat as no one can drop anything because the others are full. I mean ppl doing it as option rather than elective.

I wanted to take 'introduction to Analysis' but unfortunately it's clashing with one of my physics microlabs, anyone know if I can change microlabs around?

Anyway, I put down a second year history module, 'Modern America', in case I can't do that. It only has one lecture and one seminar each week, lol. I want to know more about American 19th century American history as it's a little vague in my mind. Downside is that it has a 4,000 word essay (being a science student I don't do much of those :P)

I wanted to take 'introduction to Analysis' but unfortunately it's clashing with one of my physics microlabs, anyone know if I can change microlabs around?

Anyway, I put down a second year history module, 'Modern America', in case I can't do that. It only has one lecture and one seminar each week, lol. I want to know more about American 19th century American history as it's a little vague in my mind. Downside is that it has a 4,000 word essay (being a science student I don't do much of those :P)

Not sure about the microlabs - do you choose the times like tutorials?

Is Modern America not a level 3 semester 1 module?

Not sure about the microlabs - do you choose the times like tutorials?
    Doesn't seem to work that way unfortunately, they were assigned a couple of weeks ago automatically, maybe I'll have a word with the science programme office.
    Is Modern America not semester 1 module?

Well according to this it's semester 2, maybe it's offered in both semesters though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It only has one lecture and one seminar each week, lol. I want to know more about American 19th century American history as it's a little vague in my mind. Downside is that it has a 4,000 word essay (being a science student I don't do much of those :P)

It may only have one lecture and one seminar a week, but you won't be lolling if you think the work stops at the door of the class! Too many of my science student friends thought that we have it handy ignoring all the hours spent reading in the library and doing essays! That downside you speak of requires proper work if you want a good result.

• Advertisement

It may only have one lecture and one seminar a week, but you won't be lolling if you think the work stops at the door of the class! Too many of my science student friends thought that we have it handy ignoring all the hours spent reading in the library and doing essays! That downside you speak of requires proper work if you want a good result.

There's only one essay to do though half way through the semester!!

Advertisement