Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steep Back Garden

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi, i recently bought a house which has a nice garden out the back, the problem is, theres a really steep slope which i really dont fancy mowing as it could be a total nightmare, so Im looking to do something low maintenance with it, was thinking about using mulch, which seems like a good option. Would anyone have any experience with this or any other suggestions for it? thanks a million, Ted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Hi ted29, we would need to know a few things about the area like the direction it faces, in shade or sun , soil type, wet or dry. with some more info i am sure you would get more suggestions:).

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

tedd29 wrote: »
    hi, i recently bought a house which has a nice garden out the back, the problem is, theres a really steep slope which i really dont fancy mowing as it could be a total nightmare, so Im looking to do something low maintenance with it, was thinking about using mulch, which seems like a good option. Would anyone have any experience with this or any other suggestions for it? thanks a million, Ted

How big is this area?,you could plant a blast of ground cover but if its too big an area that wont look right,if yer thinking of mowing it yer going to need a diesel engined machine for the job,the lack of an oil pump in most petrol engined mowers means they wont be suitable for use on steep slopes.Also bark mulch,dont do it its only going to breed weeds and dirt no matter how much you keep it topped up at considerable expense and hassle,pebbles are a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tedd29

Hi, thanks for the suggestions mountainy man, its a west facing garden, it is pretty shaded. i have no idea what type of soil it is unfortunately, gardening is not my strong point! how would i find that out?
    The link; pebbles sound like a great idea actually. Where would i get them do you know? Same places as sell the mulch i suppose?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

tedd29 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the suggestions mountainy man, its a west facing garden, it is pretty shaded. i have no idea what type of soil it is unfortunately, gardening is not my strong point! how would i find that out?
    The link; pebbles sound like a great idea actually. Where would i get them do you know? Same places as sell the mulch i suppose?[/QUOTE]

Be careful not to be conned when buying the pebbles,its washed pebbles you will be looking for,price a few different quarries nearby or maybe a wholesale sand and gravel place,i havent bought them for a good while but you should buy 15 or 16 tonnes delivered for around €200 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My brother's garden is on a slope, so he's planted it with clover. It makes a lovely, mow-free, lawn that's also good for the bees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

A steep slope with pebbles? What will Gravity say?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Totally agree about the pebbles/gravity situation. Also when it rains you are likely to get little waterfalls forming and anything loose will end up at the bottom of the garden.

Its a lot of work initially, but would you consider terracing it? We had a very steeply sloping garden that we divided into about 4 slightly sloping terraces with block walls (with plants hanging over) holding up two terraces and a rockery on another. We were able to grow veg at the top where there was some reasonable soil, one of the terraces was paved (level) and the rest was grassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

looksee wrote: »
    Totally agree about the pebbles/gravity situation. Also when it rains you are likely to get little waterfalls forming and anything loose will end up at the bottom of the garden.

Its a lot of work initially, but would you consider terracing it? We had a very steeply sloping garden that we divided into about 4 slightly sloping terraces with block walls (with plants hanging over) holding up two terraces and a rockery on another. We were able to grow veg at the top where there was some reasonable soil, one of the terraces was paved (level) and the rest was grassed.

A man after my own heart, please put up a photo, it sounds delightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

looksee wrote: »

Would also love to see some pics of this. I'm currently in the process of terracing my steeply sloping back garden. Lots of work but hopefully will be worth it :)

Advertisement