Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows on ARM! / Windows on mobile phones

• 06-01-2011 3:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12124887
    Microsoft has shown a full version of Windows running on chips usually found in mobile phones.
    The desktop version of Windows was demonstrated working with three processors built around chips designed by UK firm Arm.
    The demonstration is significant because before now Windows has been closely connected with Intel chips.
    Microsoft would not be drawn on when the first products using these chips would go on sale.
    As well as running Windows, Microsoft also showed the work it was doing to get applications such as Word, Powerpoint and Internet Explorer running on Arm chips.
    Microsoft was doing the work to get a full version of Windows running on mobile chips in a bid to end the compromises people typically have to make when using portable gadgets, said Steven Sinofsky, president of the Windows and Windows Live division during the demo.
    Also, he said, turning to Arm designed chips should mean lower power consumption and much improved battery life for future gadgets.
    About 80% of all mobiles, including Apple's iPhone4, are built around chips made from Arm designs.
    'Next Windows generation' During its demonstration, Microsoft showed Windows running natively on chips made by Qualcomm, Texas Instruments and Nvidia.
    Microsoft has a mobile version of Windows, known as Windows Phone 7, that already runs on Arm-designed chips. But, said Mr Sinofsky, Windows Phone 7 was aimed at smaller devices and the full version would be for larger tablets, slates and netbooks.
    Mr Sinofsky would not say which version of Windows was running on its demonstration devices. He would only say that it was the "next generation of Windows". Many took this to be a reference to Windows 8, which is due in 2012 and is expected to support multi-touch interfaces - capabilities missing from Windows 7.
    He also refused to speculate when the first Arm-powered devices running the full version of Windows would appear.
    "We've got the chip work done and now we start talking to partners about what kind of devices we can make," he said.
    Microsoft was also continuing its work with long-time partners Intel and AMD to get Windows working on the low-power processors they were producing.
    The demonstration came during a briefing at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas held prior to the formal opening of the show. Microsoft boss Steve Ballmer will give the opening keynote and is expected to expand on the firm's plans for Windows on Arm.

Windows is going to multiplatform (Again) by moving to x86, x64 and ARM. The last multiplatform of Windows that I remember is NT4 with support for Power PC. Personally i'd love to have a full version of Windows running on ARM. A full Windows handheld device with ARM efficiency would be amazing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12124887

Windows is going to multiplatform (Again) by moving to x86, x64 and ARM. The last multiplatform of Windows that I remember is NT4 with support for Power PC. Personally i'd love to have a full version of Windows running on ARM. A full Windows handheld device with ARM efficiency would be amazing.

Call me when it runs on the likes of: IA-32, x86-64, PowerPC, SPARC, DEC Alpha, ARM, MIPS, PA-RISC, S390, IA-64

It's no Debian:pac: http://www.debian.org/ports/
    </Linux troll>

One question though, why is this being aimed at the desktop? ARM is not the type of platform you would expect your x86 drivers to be ported over for. Still, it's good Microsoft is considering more
    than just the bog standard x86 platform. Increased competition is the most likely cause for this shift. Last time I heard of PowerPC Windows, was the NT releases back in the mid 1990's. Long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Naikon wrote: »
    One question though, why is this being aimed at the desktop? ARM is not the type of platform you would expect your x86 drivers to be ported over for.

I think ultimately they're going to develop a touchscreen-friendly UI for tablet PCs. What they demonstrated at CES was a set of large test SoC boards and the next version of Windows with the 7 UI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I think ultimately they're going to develop a touchscreen-friendly UI for tablet PCs. What they demonstrated at CES was a set of large test SoC boards and the next version of Windows with the 7 UI.

This is good news for the consumer so. It's pretty interesting that they are moving away from just using ARM as a testbed for smartphones, to fully fledged tablets and whatnot. Apple might have a bit of a worry on their shoulders dues to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

As popular as Apple may be there's no denying that many people would prefer a full Windows environment to an interface like the iPad.

As popular as Apple may be there's no denying that many people would prefer a full Windows environment to an interface like the iPad.

Myself included.

My major concern is that software that's running on x86 will either have to be re-compiled for ARM, or use some special Windows libraries that allow it (similar I suppose to running 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS). The former's going to be a headache for developers and publishers, who will have to accomodate the two architectures in development and selling the software. The latter might affect performance, which may make-or-break the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Myself included.

My major concern is that software that's running on x86 will either have to be re-compiled for ARM, or use some special Windows libraries that allow it (similar I suppose to running 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS). The former's going to be a headache for developers and publishers, who will have to accomodate the two architectures in development and selling the software. The latter might affect performance, which may make-or-break the whole thing.

This is a potential concern but given the release of WP7 I can see .net take up increasing quite a bit. Anything done in .net should work across windows x86, WP7 and windows ARM with relative ease.

Plus, I imagine X86 will still rule in the vast majority of laptops and desktops and arm will be bigger in the tablet/netbook area (or atleast at first). On a netbook/tablet I think a lot of people would be happy with a smaller range of applications than they would be on a proper laptop. As long as skype, decent browser (I'd prefer to have chrome myself), decent media player that handles most codecs, office, instant messenging, email client, pdf reader and some downlaoding apps (utorrent etc) are on there I can see it keeping most people happy. I don't have much more than that on my laptop that I'm using now and anything I do have I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't on a tablet or netbook. Saying that I can see microsoft being extremely friendly with developers and the WP7 app store is already over 5,000 so while I do have my concerns I wouldn't be overly worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That does look very very promising.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That does look very very promising.

That is impressive. The ironman trailer didn't blow me away as much as it was probably meant to simply because I know tegra can handle HD video. What did surprise me is how well that build of windows runs on it. For something that is at an early stage of development (I assume so anyways) everything is smooth and quick. I'd expect it to run like a fecking dog.

This is a potential concern but given the release of WP7 I can see .net take up increasing quite a bit. Anything done in .net should work across windows x86, WP7 and windows ARM with relative ease.

Plus, I imagine X86 will still rule in the vast majority of laptops and desktops and arm will be bigger in the tablet/netbook area (or atleast at first). On a netbook/tablet I think a lot of people would be happy with a smaller range of applications than they would be on a proper laptop. As long as skype, decent browser (I'd prefer to have chrome myself), decent media player that handles most codecs, office, instant messenging, email client, pdf reader and some downlaoding apps (utorrent etc) are on there I can see it keeping most people happy. I don't have much more than that on my laptop that I'm using now and anything I do have I probably wouldn't care if it wasn't on a tablet or netbook. Saying that I can see microsoft being extremely friendly with developers and the WP7 app store is already over 5,000 so while I do have my concerns I wouldn't be overly worried.

Absolutely. I have a lot of love for .NET, and I hope it gets more exposure. If Microsoft open a Marketplace for Windows 8 similar to what Apple (and Google somewhat) have done then it'll be an absolute joy.

I just hope that the transition will be smooth and simple. But if they work as closely with developers as they have before then it should be a (relatively!) painless experience.

Absolutely. I have a lot of love for .NET, and I hope it gets more exposure. If Microsoft open a Marketplace for Windows 8 similar to what Apple (and Google somewhat) have done then it'll be an absolute joy.

I just hope that the transition will be smooth and simple. But if they work as closely with developers as they have before then it should be a (relatively!) painless experience.

.Net is great. Currently designing a game for WP7 using xna as part of my final year project. Never designed a game before but I can see myself making a few more in XNA. :)

Now that I think about it I remember someone high up at microsoft (can't remember who now) saying that silverlight was taking a different direction from what it was originally meant to. Maybe he meant that the focus was shifting away from solely or mostly web based development to a much greater importance in windows applications.

• Advertisement
Advertisement