Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbeyfeale- what the hell?

• 06-01-2011 4:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey folks,

Quick background, I'm in Abbeyfeale for the next week or so, visiting my mother for New Year. I find myself facing the question, what the **** is there to do here? I can't spend a week sitting in the living room without going utterly utterly mad, but it doesn't seem like a great idea to sit on my own in a pub getting steadily drunker until I fall off my chair.

Is there anything at all to do here? In an ideal world it would be nice to meet some girls (or even one), although it's not like I could invite anyone back to my mother's house anyway. And there isn't even a bloody cinema. Is there anything at all to do to stop my head from exploding?

Cheers,

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Trhiggy83

Hey folks,

Quick background, I'm in Abbeyfeale for the next week or so, visiting my mother for New Year. I find myself facing the question, what the **** is there to do here? I can't spend a week sitting in the living room without going utterly utterly mad, but it doesn't seem like a great idea to sit on my own in a pub getting steadily drunker until I fall off my chair.

Is there anything at all to do here? In an ideal world it would be nice to meet some girls (or even one), although it's not like I could invite anyone back to my mother's house anyway. And there isn't even a bloody cinema. Is there anything at all to do to stop my head from exploding?

Cheers,

K

I reckon the pub is your best option my friend sadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MagnificentK

Thought as much, thought I'd ask anyway. If you see someone falling off their chair in a combination of boredom and drunkenness it's likely me. Thanks anway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Get yourself off your arse and head down to Killarney....its only a hour away from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MagnificentK

Would if I could, but since I'm not driving it's a hassle. Booze it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Would if I could, but since I'm not driving it's a hassle. Booze it is.
    You could walk around the town to sober up. It is a long town but no real width. You could count the numbers of pubs. You could bore yourself looking at the river Or just get the bi-hourly/daily bus to Killarney/Tralee and back to get the hell out of there for a few hours since you can afford to booze yourself in the pub, you can afford a bus ticket of Price €14.13 return.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1277306626-13.pdf
    http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1277306627-new14.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yeah i'd suggest heading to Tralee/Killarney/Limerick for the day too. Another idea would be Ballybunion if you're into scenery or fancy a swim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

If your feeling in an energetic mood you could walk or cycle a bit of the West Limerick trail. Just down to the Railway bar on the Athea road and into the carpark at the back from where the West Limerick trail awaits! You wont see much apart from some countryside but it is peaceful if your looking for some MagnicicentK time too!

You could also try the raft of new chippers in the town to find out which ones the best. If you do this please report back to me with your opinion;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

A little bit off topic here, but I heard a few years ago that Abbeyfeale had the highest pub ratio per head of population in the country. Is/Was this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I believe it that was certainly true at least at one stage grenache. Listowel was never too far behind though I believe. Changing drinking patterns ain't doing them any favours though. Even the "busier" pubs open only one or two nights a week in turn in agreement between themselves I do believe. Many od the smaller pubs only open at weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Abbeyfeale have a serious amount of pubs though!

Could you not go up to the golf driving range?

• Advertisement
Advertisement