Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College confusion is killing me?! :S

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Ok, so i'm from athlone, did my leaving cert in 2009, Accepted a Law course in Letterkenny.. I failed my first year and im repeating first year in Letterkenny again but i absoloutly hate it up there. I applied for Law and Accounting in AIT last year but i declined the CAO offer because i thought i'd give it a go in LYIT again, but i know now it's the worst thing i could have done :( Does anyone know if i can transfer at all, if i complete this repeat year in LYIT?... Pleeeeease help, i feel like im gunna craic up being nearly 500 miles away from home with all the durdle-urdle craic :eek: Also, I got a grant in my 1st year in LYIT but not in my repeating year.. If i was able to transfer would i be legible for a grant next year because i didnt get one this year?.. I really appreciate your helpppp :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

I don't know about the transferring, but you should be eligible for a grant next year alright. I dropped out of a Level 8 course in Dundalk IT after 1st year (got a grant), then for my first year back in Athlone IT I wasn't eligible, but I have been for 2nd and 3rd year.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

If you're going back to college in 1st year in AIT then no, you're not eligible for a grant. If you're transferring to AIT having passed your first year in LYIT, then you are eligible for a grant, on the grounds that you are transferring to a course that allows you to start in 2nd year from your previous course.

The only other way to get around it is that you're eligible for a mature student grant next year, which cancels out the normal grant. Don't think you're old enough based on that you done the LC in 2009 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

even at that, I don't think the mature student grant can be applied for on top of the regular grant. I.E. one or the other when you start the course. I know I couldn't get it when I entered 3rd Year, even at that, I couldn't get the regular grant :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

The general rule of thumb with grants is you dont get paid to do anything twice i.e the first year of college.You will be eligible for a grant next year. With regard to the question of transferring mid year to AIT I doubt that you'll be able to return to Athlone until the next academic year.

Letterkenny in a long way from Athlone (although it's not the 500miles you claim it to be) however it seems to me that your just a bit homesick or something, dont have a lot of friends up there maybe ? It cant be a bigger dump that Athlone can it ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 x-Sinners-x

The general rule of thumb with grants is you dont get paid to do anything twice i.e the first year of college.You will be eligible for a grant next year. With regard to the question of transferring mid year to AIT I doubt that you'll be able to return to Athlone until the next academic year.

Letterkenny in a long way from Athlone (although it's not the 500miles you claim it to be) however it seems to me that your just a bit homesick or something, dont have a lot of friends up there maybe ? It cant be a bigger dump that Athlone can it ?? :D

Oh yes.. It is a serious dive! This is my second year there now and i seriously cannot stand being up there anymore.. It takes me at least 7 hours to get up there, and i know it's an EXTREME amount of miles away, i just remember measuring the distance in my dads car :confused: haha..
    I'm going into the office now in the college and gunna ask about the Grant.. Hopefully it'll all work out :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Let us know how you get on mate and if you get any useful information.

Best of luck

Advertisement