Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent tax relief

Options
  • 06-01-2011 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey

Sorry if my post sounds stupid but this is my first time renting :D

I was reading a few threads here and came across that you can claim tax back from renting, I googled it but didn't get much information.

How does this work, If I send the form in do I get a cheque for the tax I paid or is it further tax relief at the job or what? If you can get tax relief why bother having a tax in the first place?

I'm paying 250 a month so for the year it would be 3 grand, how much can I claim back out of this?

Again sorry if my post sounds a little green but like I said this is my first time posting! Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

As far as I'm aware it has been done away with in the latest budget but people who were renting before the budget can still claim for up to 8 years on a decreasing scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

I have been renting since September so lucky me I'm good for now :)

How does it work though? If they offer tax back why bother charging tax in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Limericks wrote: »
    I have been renting since September so lucky me I'm good for now :)

How does it work though? If they offer tax back why bother charging tax in the first place?

See here for detail:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

kippy wrote: »

Thank you very much, surprised google didn't show me this!

Limericks wrote: »
    Thank you very much, surprised google didn't show me this!

Citizensinformation.ie is a fairly good side for any of that kinda thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

250 * 4 (sept-Dec) = 1000, you get a credit of 200 quid for last year. 20% of rent paid up to a max of 400

the max last year was 400 quid, down to 320 this year. Easy to do online with PAYE online.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Cheapo

Just to follow on this, if you were living at home and paying rent to your parents can you still claim this?

Cheapo wrote: »
    Just to follow on this, if you were living at home and paying rent to your parents can you still claim this?

You probably could but you could be opening up a whole different can of worms for your parents (depending on numerous variables).

Advertisement