Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking water softener recommedations

• 06-01-2011 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

In the last while, as some of you may be aware, the water supply in Kildare has been changed and is, as a result, much harder than before. This is really starting to show at home now especially in the kitchen (kettle, scum on tea/coffee) and shower. I'm sure the dishwasher and washing machine can't be great either. This has led us down the road of looking for a water softener so I'm looking for recommendations.

The main limiting factor here is size as it will have to fit under the sink where the incoming water pipe is located and also the only access to the pipes feeding the rest of the house. I intend to fit whatever unit we end up with myself. I do not want to put the unit outside as I don't want problems with it freezing.

As per many recommendations (though there does appear to be quite a difference of opinion) we are considering leaving the cold water tap in the kitchen sink with the standard unsoftened water. This, however, means that one of our main criteria will go unfulfilled. Is there any such animal as a water filter - for drinking water and cooking - which will remove limescale and, if we do fit a filter, chlorine (the only other noticeable problem since the water changed is an increase in chlorine).

We have for the past 4/5 years, and still are, drinking the tap water and, aside from the limescale and the increase in chlorine, we have never had any problem with the water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

On the subject of leaving the kitchen tap on unsoftened water - this is because, I understand it, of higher sodium levels? From a bit of research I see suggestions that the newer breed of softener in particular result in much lower sodium levels than found in say milk?

I'm kind of leaning towards softening this tap too and then adding a basic carbon filter to remove the chlorine in the future if we feel we need it. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Right I'm removing the company/product references so I don't upset anyone but I would welcome pm recommendations either way.

I'm still interested in peoples opinions on the kitchen supply and the filters.

I noticed this evening that the saucepans were showing a nice hint of scale coming out of the dishwasher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I'm in Monasterevin and we have very hard water here. So I fitted this softener. It's doing the whole house, cold kitchen tap included.
    It's a large unit and takes up 2/3 of the kitchen press.

This one, by the same company is the compact version and may suit your needs.

Good stuff - I had been looking at their products but wasn't sure if they were any good. At this stage I've all but sacrificed the press already ;) but I don't really have anywhere else that's logical for the softener to go.

Reasonable prices too - I'd probably go for the metered version though seeing as it's not hugely more expensive.

It not a great idea to go for the metered version. The metering is carried out by an impeller in the system, positioned before the softening of the water. So the impellor will end up covered in limescale! and stop working properly.
    The timer version I have uses very little salt, a bag every 6 weeks or so, and at €8 a bag is well worth it.

• Advertisement

Now there's something I hadn't even considered - all I was thinking of was the water & salt savings.

BTW where do you source your salt?

The local hardware shop (Willoughbys) has it.

Just in case anyone else is reading this I did speak to a company today about a metered softener and he confirmed that the meter is after the softening process and will therefore not suffer any limesale buildup. This may not be the case for all systems as indicated by Cmar above - be sure to ask the question is my advice.

FWIW I doubt I'll be using the recommendation as I do not have sufficient space for their unit (though as a kitchen redesign may be happening shortly I'm not sure this is a realistic concern now) and I'm not so sure about the efficiency - it doesn't seem to have a high throughput and I can't find any figures to know if it uses a lot of water regenerating - important given that water will soon be an expensive commodity the way things are looking.

I'm pricing other units and I'm finding that I may have to head up on €800 to get an efficient metered version.

Advertisement