Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More than 11,000 use 'Granny Rule' to secure Irish citizenship

• 06-01-2011 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/19121050/?view=Standard
    eircom.net wrote:
    Up to 11,500 people have tried to use the "Granny Rule" to claim Irish citizenship in the past year.

It first came to prominence when Republic of Ireland soccer manager Jack Charlton used it to secure top players for the team.

They showed up at Irish embassies around the world during 2010, claiming Irish citizenship because they have an Irish grandmother or grandfather.

Demand has spiked in the past two years following the Global Irish Economic Forum in Farmleigh in Dublin which raised awareness on the rule.

Commenting on the figures, the Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin said they underline the strong demand from the 70 million strong global Irish family to maintain their links with Ireland.

And for those not entitled to a passport and full citizenship there is the Certificate of Irish Heritage which the Minister said is being finalised and an announcement will be made in the coming weeks.

Another brilliant Irish idea.
    Does anybody else think the applicants might have other motives than to simply 'maintain links with Ireland?'

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Commenting on the figures, the Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin said they underline the strong demand from the 70 million strong global Irish family to maintain their links with Ireland.

Yeah, all 1/60 of 1% of them, at this rate they'll all have citizenship by next Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'd love to know where the claimants currently reside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Does anybody else think the applicants might have other motives than to simply 'maintain links with Ireland?'

It's not specifically an 'Irish' idea though and we're hardly as extreme as states like Israel in that regard. In fairness, I would welcome people who have Irish ancestry back to their roots. The many people in the world who are of Irish decent, many are very accomplished people, could help boost the economy. It's a very David McWilliams-y idea though.

Yes, but the whole concept was dreamed up to allow Jack Charlton to recruit foreign footballers.
    And now they could have to grant citizenship to god knows how many immigrants.

That's my point about it being 'Irish'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What if your granny is Tony Cascarino?

• Advertisement

Well that changes things doesn't it.

Yes, but the whole concept was dreamed up to allow Jack Charlton to recruit foreign footballers.

Well if they can't find any well trained skilled players who are of international standard then I say why not? What do you make of the French team where around 2/3 of the team are black?

I don't give a **** about footballers nationalities.

My point is that this mickey mouse concept that was drawn up to accommodate international football, could actually have serious consequences that nobody saw coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Sure I'll start this thread off where it's eventually going - As long as they're white i think it's a good idea!

Well if they can't find any well trained skilled players who are of international standard then I say why not? What do you make of the French team where around 2/3 of the team are black?

Don't you mean African American?

• Advertisement

The many people in the world who are of Irish decent, .

Are the Irish decent?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Don't you mean African American?

in France?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

My point is that this mickey mouse concept that was drawn up to accommodate international football, could actually have serious consequences that nobody saw coming.

Complete bollocks.

It wasn't "dreamed up" for that reason there are provisions in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1935 for claims if your father is Irish but this was fully clarified when Ireland declared itself a republic (in 1956) and the UK and Ireland made some agreements about citizenship rights (an Irish person can claim British citizenship if their grandparents were born before Dec 1922 and within the 1922 borders of the UK). The root of the current laws were laid down in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 which allows people with parents who are Irish through their parents to claim Irish citizenship (you can go further back but your parents would need to have been registered on the foreign births register).

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are the Irish decent?

Oh thanks for spotting that babes, God you're so cute.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Are the Irish decent?

No, but they do try god bless them.

in France?

You're right, they've probably paid them to leave by now! Those crafty racist French!

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Complete bollocks.

It wasn't "dreamed up" for that reason there are provisions in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1935 for claims if your father is Irish but this was fully clarified when Ireland declared itself a republic (in 1956) and the UK and Ireland made some agreements about citizenship rights (an Irish person can claim British citizenship if their grandparents were born before Dec 1922 and within the 1922 borders of the UK). The root of the current laws were laid down in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 which allows people with parents who are Irish through their parents to claim Irish citizenship (you can go further back but your parents would need to have been registered on the foreign births register).

And does all that only encompass the UK or does it stretch beyond it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

And does all that only encompass the UK or does it stretch beyond it?
    Covers everywhere (as it should), they just had to rewrite the laws when the country left British dominion to avoid confusion/legal wrangling. Britain on the other hand has to have legislation which covers a lot of "edge" cases as it is has gotten around a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So what exactly is your beef?

And where is the conspiracy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 RP Mc murphy

Yes, they must be really keen to join the rest of us rats on our sinking ship. We should welcome them with open paws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

listermint wrote: »

I think he is trying to imply that the US government (or someone) will convince all their citizens of Irish descent to claim Irish citizenship and then vote in a puppet regime that will sell our sought after beef and potatoes to them for low low crazy prices. Or something. :confused:

strobe wrote: »
    I think he is trying to imply that the US government (or someone) will convince all their citizens of Irish descent to claim Irish citizenship and then vote in a puppet regime that will sell our sought after beef and potatoes to them for low low crazy prices. Or something. :confused:

And we'll all be eating Brazilian beef!

TAKE ACTION PEOPLE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When the 70 million show up, there won't be any ghost estates left rotting.

But seriously, as I pondered on the previous page, how many of them want to comply with Michael Martins beliefs and how many might have other motivations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

But seriously, as I pondered on the previous page, how many of them want to comply with Michael Martins beliefs and how many might have other motivations.

Other Motivations? Such as....

Other Motivations? Such as....

Bypassing regular immigration procedures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bypassing regular immigration procedures?
    But if they're legally entitled to Irish citizenship, why shouldn't they be allowed apply for it and bypass regular immigration procedures?

If I was legally entitled to U.S. citizenship, for example, I would apply for it in order to bypass U.S. immigration whenever I go there.

If I was entitled to Indian citizenship, sure I'd apply for it, even though I've no intention of going there. But to have it, is handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Irish Halo wrote: »
    The root of the current laws were laid down in the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 which allows people with parents who are Irish through their parents to claim Irish citizenship (you can go further back but your parents would need to have been registered on the foreign births register).

Thank you Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956!! I was born in London to Irish parents and the family came back to live here in the late 70's and have stayed since. Have Irish passport too so feck ye begrudgers who think anyone who is born abroad is not Irish! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

With the amount of young people emigrating now, it is likely a large proportion will not be able to return here to have a family. I'd like to think that if I have to emigrate (which is looking more and more likely) that my future grandkids will be entitled to Irish citizenship should they want it. My family line more than likely goes back well over a thousand years, it would unfortunate that due to circumstances that had nothing to do with me, my children or my future grandchildren, that it's link to this country will be severed forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I don't give a **** about footballers nationalities.

Tripe. The policy has been in place for decades, long before Jack Charlton, has nothing to do with football and everything to do with the fact that millions of Irish people have been forced to emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Newsflash: Lots of people born in France are black.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

They took our jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What do you make of the French team where around 2/3 of the team are black?

I'd just call them the French national side? Are you suggesting that 2/3 of the team are not French citizens or only claimed to be so as to be put on the national team?

Edit: Quick look at the current French squad would reveal one player out of 22 or so born outside of French territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You can't be black and French?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I know a Canadian and a New Zealander who have Irish passports through the Granny Rule. Neither of them have even set foot here.

I don't know anything about the other 11,498 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

They took our jobs?

They took our passports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

MrStuffins wrote: »
    What if your granny is Tony Cascarino?

Or Steve Ireland who did the opposite and used his granny to avoid playing for Ireland.

Advertisement