Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killeen not to contest

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

When I heard that this morning the first thing I thought was "f**k it anyway, that's Dooley in", whatever about FF holding onto their 2 seats in Clare, they aren't going to drop to 0 seats whatsoever, there are too many hardliners that will vote FF no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Clareman wrote: »
    When I heard that this morning the first thing I thought was "f**k it anyway, that's Dooley in", whatever about FF holding onto their 2 seats in Clare, they aren't going to drop to 0 seats whatsoever, there are too many hardliners that will vote FF no matter what.

Sadly true. 2 FG 1 FF and 1 Lab methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

All those dirty <snip> are retiring so they can get the full pension. In Killeens case, he will get the extra ministers pension in full as well.

<snip>

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It all depends on who runs imvho, I think Pat Breen and Joe Carey will make it next time. Dooley topped the poll (shudder) last time around, I don't think he'll drop enough votes not to be eleceted, so the final seat will be up for grabs. Labour don't have a great history in Clare, although Bamjee got elected in the past and Kilrush has always had a big Labour following, I would imagine it would be more likely to have an independant returning, don't be surprised to see James Breen back in Dublin............

I would like to point out that Tony Killeen is retiring because of cancer, whatever about him getting what he's entitled to, and whether pensions are right or not, I don't think it's right to be name calling someone who has servered Clare for 20 odd years and is retiring on medical grounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

I would like to point out that Tony Killeen is retiring because of cancer, whatever about him getting what he's entitled to, and whether pensions are right or not, I don't think it's right to be name calling someone who has servered Clare for 20 odd years and is retiring on medical grounds.

He's a traitor, cancer or not. Playing that card is despicable.

Tell the 569 on trolleys about poor Tony's problems and I'm sure they'll have sympathy for him.

I'm only sorry he won't be calling to my door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

golfball37 wrote: »
    He's a traitor, cancer or not. Playing that card is despicable.

Tell the 569 on trolleys about poor Tony's problems and I'm sure they'll have sympathy for him.

I'm only sorry he won't be calling to my door.

He says he has been medically advised not to stand. Not exactly playing a card. Most of those on trolleys are not facing a life threatening illness however uncomfortable their situation might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Good riddance he was a useless TD and Minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Palmach wrote: »
    He says he has been medically advised not to stand. Not exactly playing a card. Most of those on trolleys are not facing a life threatening illness however uncomfortable their situation might be.

Brian Lenihan is some man for one man then isnt he !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

He's only a waste of space, second only to Timmy. I can't believe I voted for them... most foolish moment of my life.

Does he get that severance package for not running?

• Advertisement

I would like to point out that Tony Killeen is retiring because of cancer,

And didn't he take the defense job because the cancer was in remission? more like to bump up his pension.

He was already on the ministrial pension scale when he took over defence

stand corrected but i tought he was only junior ministers before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

If only we could have Dev back in the Banner:cool:1449.jpg&t=1&h=78&w=57&usg=__AXxeKo8YzQRRuv4NZAGGaoa7bik=

The ideal Ireland that we would have, the Ireland that we dreamed of, would be the home of a people who valued material wealth only as a basis for right living, of a people who, satisfied with frugal comfort, devoted their leisure to the things of the spirit – a land whose countryside would be bright with cosy homesteads, whose fields and villages would be joyous with the sounds of industry, with the romping of sturdy children, the contest of athletic youths and the laughter of happy maidens, whose firesides would be forums for the wisdom of serene old age. The home, in short, of a people living the life that God desires that men should live. With the tidings that make such an Ireland possible, St. Patrick came to our ancestors fifteen hundred years ago promising happiness here no less than happiness hereafter. It was the pursuit of such an Ireland that later made our country worthy to be called the island of saints and scholars. It was the idea of such an Ireland - happy, vigorous, spiritual - that fired the imagination of our poets; that made successive generations of patriotic men give their lives to win religious and political liberty; and that will urge men in our own and future generations to die, if need be, so that these liberties may be preserved. One hundred years ago, the Young Irelanders, by holding up the vision of such an Ireland before the people, inspired and moved them spiritually as our people had hardly been moved since the Golden Age of Irish civilisation. Fifty years later, the founders of the Gaelic League similarly inspired and moved the people of their day. So, later, did the leaders of the Irish Volunteers. We of this time, if we have the will and active enthusiasm, have the opportunity to inspire and move our generation in like manner. We can do so by keeping this thought of a noble future for our country constantly before our eyes, ever seeking in action to bring that future into being, and ever remembering that it is for our nation as a whole that future must be sought.

Junior minisiters were entitled to full pensions depending on how long they were in the post, also a lot of opposition TD's would be entitled depending on service also, pensions for TDs are a bit "special"

Its a great country alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Ah sure Dev was an economic disaster as well. Let the country go to bits while he was drawing 3 pensions and riding around in a limo telling us to go dancing at the crossroads. Irish politics needs less 1916 nostalgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I presume then that he'll also officially retire as a school teacher and not be on an indefinite leave of absence, and let someone else get the full time position.

(I'm assuming that he took a leave of absence, the same as the rest of the teachers that are in the dail.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Ah sure Dev was an economic disaster as well. Let the country go to bits while he was drawing 3 pensions and riding around in a limo telling us to go dancing at the crossroads. Irish politics needs less 1916 nostalgia.

Ok, ok, .......... if we could have this guy back images?q=tbn:GFsJr2DP1BukIM:

OR BETTR STILL this guy brian-boru.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

The likes of Dooley and Killeen are not interested in representing Clare or the people of Clare, they are only interested in representing Fianna Fail and themselves, they sold out the hospital and shannon, scum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Palmach wrote: »
    Sadly true. 2 FG 1 FF and 1 Lab methinks.

Who'd be the Labour candidate? Pascal Fitzgeralnd got less than 1,000 in '07 and was voted onto the local council in '09. Is Bhamjee making a comeback? :D

I'd say Sinn Fein could make a run this time, although I'd be surprised if James Breen doesn't make it back in this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

How many ministers have decided not to run this time around because of 'health' reasons? It's utter ****e. They know they have no chance of getting elected, and even less of chance of being a majority in government, so they are taking their huge pensions before they lose them and fecking off.

To date, there are 11 FF TD's who are doing this - all the top brass. This number is expected to grow as many areas have not yet had their annual meet to nominate candidates.

See the thread on Politics.ie here:

http://www.politics.ie/elections/125453-confirmed-retirements-tds-14.html

It is rumoured that there will be at least 20 more who go before the election is in motion.

Anyone who believes that this is all because they are all somehow ill is seriously delusional. It's that sort of thinking that got our nation into the state it is in now. Giving them one last pass while they raid the coffers on the way out the door is nothing short of treason.

maybe we need a boards.ie candidate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

We need a Default candidate. Whoever gets in, has to default on the banks. We can't afford it. Get the country sorted first, and then we can sort out the county.

If you're not sure who to vote for, take the Default option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Who'd be the Labour candidate? Pascal Fitzgeralnd got less than 1,000 in '07 and was voted onto the local council in '09. Is Bhamjee making a comeback? :D

I heard Michael McNamara from Scariff. Not the hurler I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

5h4mr0(k wrote: »
    We need a Default candidate. Whoever gets in, has to default on the banks. We can't afford it. Get the country sorted first, and then we can sort out the county.

If you're not sure who to vote for, take the Default option.

Preach! I wouldn't have gone near voting for Sinn Fein in the past but they seem to be the only ones even contemplating default. However I've a suspicion it's them just being populist because they'll never be in a position to actually do it.

Bleh.. I wish Fine Gael would show some fighting spirit. They would have been in 2 years ago if the current lot weren't so cackhanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Michael McNamara from Scarriff was canvassing in our area yest eve. I think he was a candidate for the European Elections and remember hearing good things about him at that time. Only thing I have against him is Eamon Gilmore can't take to him just don't trust a man who's all things to all people. Ditto for Enda Kenny and looking at the expences that were published before for Clare TD's Fine Gael are every bit as bad as Fianna Fail for feathering the nest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Claregirl wrote: »
    Michael McNamara from Scarriff was canvassing in our area yest eve. I think he was a candidate for the European Elections and remember hearing good things about him at that time. Only thing I have against him is Eamon Gilmore can't take to him just don't trust a man who's all things to all people. Ditto for Enda Kenny and looking at the expences that were published before for Clare TD's Fine Gael are every bit as bad as Fianna Fail for feathering the nest.

Will keep an eye out for him. Gilmore's in the same mould as Rabbitte for me so I don't pay much heed to him. Isn't as toxic as Rabbitte though, in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

golfball37 wrote: »
    I heard Michael McNamara from Scariff. Not the hurler I assume?

It's this guy :confused:..

http://www.labour.ie/michaelmcnamara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement