Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black sugarpaste

Options
  • 06-01-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Anybody know where I can get black sugar paste/fondant in the Limerick area, have a fortnight so can go to net if no other option, but would like to see it in my hand so I know roughly how much i need.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Petite Treats

Hi showgirlrita

I recently ordered from a company called Stuff4cakes- she's based in Galway and her prices were good so it was great to support an Irish company. Not sure if she stocks what you are looking for but have a look maybe.

Alternatively- decobake in Kildare deliver for 8euro no matter what size the package I think.

Think I saw small packets of Black sugarpaste in Anthony Ryans over Christmas also if that is helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

Thanks for reply PT, Ive gone ahead and ordered sugarflair extra black paste so i am going to try that with some white fondant & cocoa see does that work on a trial basis first, if not i will have to look in to buying ready made black. Its for a guinness cake so will need a good bit and it has to be black black to look authentic.
    PS its great to have an irish company to supply things will def take a look.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Its for a guinness cake so will need a good bit and it has to be black black to look authentic.
    :D

Very dark brown will look perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

I did the Guinness cake anyway you can see a pic here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055154264&page=15

i said previously i had ordered the food colouring. So itried to dye the fondant but it would have taken Gallons of the stuff to get it black - so i went ahead and ordered ready coloured black fondant unfortunately it didnt arrive on time.
    So i improvised, the end result is white fondant mixed with cocoa powder(so i wasnt working with a white white background) and sponged on thinned out black paste..surprisingly enough it worked even if it did take a while to dry! My future sister-in-law was delighted with her cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I did the Guinness cake anyway you can see a pic here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055154264&page=15

i said previously i had ordered the food colouring. So itried to dye the fondant but it would have taken Gallons of the stuff to get it black - so i went ahead and ordered ready coloured black fondant unfortunately it didnt arrive on time.
    So i improvised, the end result is white fondant mixed with cocoa powder(so i wasnt working with a white white background) and sponged on thinned out black paste..surprisingly enough it worked even if it did take a while to dry! My future sister-in-law was delighted with her cake.

That looks fantastic.
    Now you just have to make one based on a decent, Irish owned, stout like O Hara's, Shandon Stout, Porterhouse Oyster stout, Black Rock Stout etc. ett.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That looks great! Yeah black is pretty much impossible to make, and even if you could add enough colouring to white sugarpaste it would be so dry and cracked from kneading at that stage. I always have a box of black, most other colours can be made (except good grassy green and deep purple!) but the black is a good one to have.

I'm making a Baileys bottle in a few weeks, can't wait, have done a good few bottles of wine but the shape will be a challenge and I love painting the labels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Spadina, I noticed your cake pic, wow! loved it :)

Advertisement