Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mix corsair and ripjaw ram

Options
  • 06-01-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭

I am tempted by pixmania's offer on Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800 as pointed out in a thread here. The price is pretty damn good! Currently I have 4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw ram in my machine - would it be a bad idea to mix the two?
    Both are 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24, but the voltage is different - 1.5v for the ripjaws, 1.65 for the corsair.
    What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

shnaek wrote: »
    What do ye think?

Rule of thumb is never to mix RAM sets, I've seen mixed RAM kits cause all sorts of problems in computers before, after looking up the deal on those XMS3, its not that great of a deal. I remember seeing Ripjaws for about a fiver more on Memoryc.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Deano12345 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb is never to mix RAM sets, I've seen mixed RAM kits cause all sorts of problems in computers before
    This. The main reason being that each kit - two 2GB sticks, two 4GB sticks, 4 2GB sticks, 3 2GB sticks, etc.. - are tested together. You're not guaranteed that two 4GB kits will work together, even if from the same manufacturer. Usually, it does. However, there is that proviso.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

Yeah - I wasn't keen on mixing alright, so I think I'll just give the offer a skip. Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Yeah, try get a set of ripjaws, or another kit that runs at 1.5.

Advertisement