Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night feeding - 7 week old

• 06-01-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Hi, my little man who is nearly 7 weeks now has developed a problem with his last feed before he goes down for the night. He now stays awake from his feed at 8 till 11 maybe getting 20 minutes snooze here and there and cries a little on & off and stops when we pick him up, no problem with that but he cries with bad wind pains kicking his legs as soon as his touches the bottle at around 11 even after getting up wind from the 8 oclock feed. He gets up the same wind for all his other feeds during the day no problem, sleeps great from midnight till 4:30am sometimes after 5 and acts normal for the day again feeding every 3 hours taking 3/4oz and winding and sleeping untill evening time that is.

We tried winding him for longer periods after the 8pm feed but no extra wind coming up, heating up the bottle a little extra, making sure the room temp was just right but the more he cries the more wind he seems to get? He likes to be more upright during his spell from 8 till 11, doesnt like it as soon as he feels he is been lowered.

Just a phase? or anyone had the same expierence?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are you sure it's wind that's bothering him and not something like silent reflux? That can come on babies in the evening after feeding fine all day.

Is he arching his back or straining? Refusing his bottle? They can associate the bottle with the reflux even then if they have it.

Might be worth considering. If you think this might be the case there's a few threads around - like this one - suggesting Infant Gaviscon. (Obviously ask your GP or Health Nurse first...)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Could be a fart buildup? Have you tried baby massage?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

Dades wrote: »

Is he arching his back or straining? Refusing his bottle? They can associate the bottle with the reflux even then if they have it.

Yes, he will nearly stand up arching his back in pain but he does look for the bottle, takes one mouthfull and roars, rub his back for a while, maybe get a small burp, looks for the bottle but roars again. This can happen for an hour but eventually he will quiten down and drink about 2-3oz and fine again till same time tomorrow night.

I'll look into that silent reflux,

Thanks.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Could be a fart buildup? Have you tried baby massage?

Yeah we tried massaging and it does help but only for a little while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

From your username maybe it is Liverpools current form that is doing this to him.
    I have a friend who had a child with the reflux and it sounded pretty similar.
    Good luck

• Advertisement

kwalshe wrote: »
    From your username maybe it is Liverpools current form that is doing this to him.
    I have a friend who had a child with the reflux and it sounded pretty similar.
    Good luck

Yup I'm a liverpool supporter, I too had reflux watching that game last night :mad:

Anyway off to the GP Monday if it continues.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You could call your public health nurse for a faster answer. esp if its reflux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Yes, went through this as well. My little man is now 1year old but had this problem from about 6-7 weeks until 4.5 months. tried everything, several things from pharmacy, nothing helped. Tried an elimination diet in case he was reacting to something I was eating, again no help. The best thing that we found helped was Gripe Water (luckily we live near the border!). In the end a homeopathic remedy helped to relieve our little man and eventually at about 4.5 months he started sleeping at night. It was really tough going though for that first few months, getting about 20 mins sleep at a time... I thought I would lose my mind at various stages through lack of sleep!! Thankfully though now we have come out the other side and now sleeps all night.

Maybe bring your baby to the pharmacist to see if they could recommend anything to you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kop77 wrote: »
    Yes, he will nearly stand up arching his back in pain but he does look for the bottle, takes one mouthfull and roars, rub his back for a while, maybe get a small burp, looks for the bottle but roars again. This can happen for an hour but eventually he will quiten down and drink about 2-3oz and fine again till same time tomorrow night.

I'll look into that silent reflux,

Thanks.
    Sounds exactly like what our fella had.

I've posted about it elsewhere here, but the short story is the reflux was building during the day, so every evening it was paining him something awful, causing him to act like that.

Do check first with your GP or Health Nurse, but I'd certainly try him on Infant Gaviscon. It's not major stuff - you can buy it over the counter - and it may help him and you. :)

A month on & he still has the problem. We use the infant gaviscon which does help but it has to get into his tummy first and he sometimes cries & arches bis back as soon as you put the bib around his neck.

Although he doesnt seem to feel it as bad as before its though seing him suffer. We find that white noise helps, I even whistle while feeding him & it works. Sometimes he can go a day or two without the problem but soon returns to normal. Hopefully he will grow out of it in another month or so. I wonder would those Dr. Brown bottles help?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

We had something similar recently- could be colic.
    Our fella was kranky from 8 till about 1.30 every night, pulling up the legs, red face crying etc.
    We solved it by changing the formula to Milupa Aptimal Comfort, Cow & gate do a version too ( can get it in tesco,dunnes etc), it seems easier on the digestive system & the stools are way softer.

Our fella is a new man since we made the change.

TheWarrior wrote: »
    We solved it by changing the formula to Milupa Aptimal Comfort, it seems easier on the digestive system & the stools are way softer.

Our fella is a new man since we made the change.

Worth a try,

thanks, I'll let ye know how I get on.

I got Aptimal Comfort on Friday and it took him a couple of feeds to get used to the stuff as he only took 1 - 2oz's for the first 3 feeds but he is now taking his usual 4-5oz. 3 days on and it seems to be working, fingers crossed it will last. He will kick a bit after the first ounce but much more settled.

Having said all that that he does go through a phase for a couple of days of been okay & settled but soon returns to his episodes so hopefully its not just one of those good phases and it will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hi Kop, out of interest what bottle are you feeding him with. I noticed with ours that when we started him on an Avent bottle that he suffered a bit with the same symptons, then we changed him to Dr.Brown bottles and thankfully never looked back. We feed him SMA.

Hi, were using the ordinary Avent bottles. I'll pay a visit to Mothercare at lunch time for some, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Hi Kop, i'm afraid to ask, but is there any improvement?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bangra bangra

kop77 wrote: »
    A month on & he still has the problem. We use the infant gaviscon which does help but it has to get into his tummy first and he sometimes cries & arches bis back as soon as you put the bib around his neck.

Although he doesnt seem to feel it as bad as before its though seing him suffer. We find that white noise helps, I even whistle while feeding him & it works. Sometimes he can go a day or two without the problem but soon returns to normal. Hopefully he will grow out of it in another month or so. I wonder would those Dr. Brown bottles help?

Only came across this thread now !... immediately I was going to suggest the Dr Browns bottles, I swore by them, once we started using them we never had a problem with wind etc - would be def worth a try, best of luck!

So we have been using Dr Brown bottles since last Thursday and the comfort formula a week now and not much has changed, still the same problem in the evenings and the odd episode during the day. The only thing that helps is Infacol. We give him two drops before the bottle to help get wind up. The comfort formula is making his poo green and more watery but this is okay according to public health nurse.

The measurements in the Dr Brown bottles & the Avent are totally different, 6 oz's in the Dr Brown bottles is 6 & 1/2 UK oz's or 6 1/4 US oz's?? and why didn't they put the measurements writing in colour on the Dr Browns like the Avent, hard to see how much your pouring in with steam...

Spoke to the public health nurse again today and she didn't have much else to add other than maybe when he starts taking solids it might help,

Other than that he is the perfect baby, very contented, smiles at everyone and won't cry for no reason until feeding time.

Advertisement