Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accessing RTE Live Player outside Ireland

Options
  • 06-01-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving to England for 2 years and want to watch a couple of Irish programmes and sports events using my laptop and the RTE website. However the RTE Live player only allows you to use the service if you have an Irish proxy.

I've had a quick look on the web bout how to get around this but I've found fairly old thread which aren't much good to me. I know my way around a laptop and have a good standard of computer literacy but am no means a tech genius.

The question is how do those based outside Ireland use the RTE Live Player service and get around the geographical blocking of non Irish users?

Any help on this matter would be very much appreciated,

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

An Irish proxy is the way to go. You have two options:

Search for a free one (good luck with that)
    Pay a small monthly fee for access to one.

However, putting traffic through a proxy can considerably slow that traffic depending on how much traffic is going through it. Some of the pay-for-proxy services allow you to have a free trial so you could look at that to see if the speed you're getting is good enough for your needs. Google it.

I haven't bothered, I just use the RTÉ international player, it's not as good obviously but I can keep up with News, current affairs and the Late Late (if I want to :D).

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

r3nu4l wrote: »
    An Irish proxy is the way to go. You have two options:

Search for a free one (good luck with that)
    Pay a small monthly fee for access to one.

However, putting traffic through a proxy can considerably slow that traffic depending on how much traffic is going through it. Some of the pay-for-proxy services allow you to have a free trial so you could look at that to see if the speed you're getting is good enough for your needs. Google it.

I haven't bothered, I just use the RTÉ international player, it's not as good obviously but I can keep up with News, current affairs and the Late Late (if I want to :D).

Thanks for the advice. Very much appreciate. I will look through the RTE website for the international player.

Again much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I use https://www.overplay.net/ for this. No problems in the last 8 months or so I've been with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

RT66 wrote: »
    I use https://www.overplay.net/ for this. No problems in the last 8 months or so I've been with them.

What's performance like with these? Is it just the Irish VPN you've accessed or what about the UK one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

dartsfan wrote: »
    What's performance like with these? Is it just the Irish VPN you've accessed or what about the UK one?

I've used the US and UK VPNs through Overplay for nearly a year now and I've had no speed issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

dartsfan wrote: »

I've used the Irish, UK, US and Italian ones to stream TV and have never encountered any delay. I generally use the US ones, but when I'm abroad I use the Irish. Performance has always been excellent.

Advertisement