Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a Rifle Privately

Options
  • 06-01-2011 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a question on selling my rifle, Can I sell this to a private buyer without handing the rifle into a dealer who will charge money for the "privilege" of storing it? Also, how do I go about selling it correctly/legally without getting into trouble from the Garda?

Thanks in advance and sorry of this was asked before.

Regards.
    Medicman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

medicman wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a question on selling my rifle, Can I sell this to a private buyer without handing the rifle into a dealer who will charge money for the "privilege" of storing it? Also, how do I go about selling it correctly/legally without getting into trouble from the Garda?

Regards.
    Medicman

My understanding is no.
    I tried to do same many years ago, gardaí insisted I hand it in to an RFD while the other guy waited for a licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Regards.
    Medicman

Yes you can..... Its not that hard....

Get a deposit off the guy ( or he may in a months time tell you to p!ss off)

Print off a reciept stating your name and address, his name and address, your rifle make model and caliber as well as licence number.....

He will then fill in the licence application and instead of dealer info he will be putting in your licence number.

He waits for licence....

If he gets his licence you can then hand the gun over to him. along with you recieving the remainder of the money.

Personally, I like to give a reciept to for this as well as my own records just in case !

Honestly .. the hardest part is waiting !

Ive atttacted a template of what ive given to others to give to there FO if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The answer is YES

'Cos I have just completed the buying of a shotgun from a man and the letter for payment came it the post today. I will now pay and wait for the license to come to hand and then go collect the shotgun. No can do without the license for the shotgun.

I have also sold a shotgun the same way. The buyer applied for the license and when he had it he came and collected the gun from me. And you must also inform the FO that you have sold the gun and you no longer have possession of it.

It's all on the current firearms application form. Just complete the correct sections.

clivej wrote: »
    The answer is YES

'Cos I have just completed the buying of a shotgun from a man and the letter for payment came it the post today. I will now pay and wait for the license to come to hand and then go collect the shotgun. No can do without the license for the shotgun.

I have also sold a shotgun the same way. The buyer applied for the license and when he had it he came and collected the gun from me. And you must also inform the FO that you have sold the gun and you no longer have possession of it.

It's all on the current firearms application form. Just complete the correct sections.

As I said it was a good few years ago, pre internet that I tried same.

The new licensing system (although flawed) Is easier than when we got those old green hand written licences ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

As I said it was a good few years ago, pre internet that I tried same.

The new licensing system (although flawed) Is easier than when we got those old green hand written licences ;)

The old system also allowed you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Exactly as GunHappy say above. we were posting at the same time :)

Thats how I insisted that a bought the shotty.

Exactly as GunHappy say above. we were posting at the same time :)

Thats how I insisted that a bought the shotty.

In the late 90's early naughties, I went to FO to say I wanted to sell my brother a shotty, he told me to put it in RFD's for ~2 weeks until the brother licenced it.

As I said, pre-internet when knowledge was not freely available.

Our local shop had a RFD licence and stored it for £5punt

Was in the same era that local super would give a 16 year old a shotgun but not a rifle/airrifle.......

God bless the internet for liberating us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Regards.
    Medicman

Once you have a current licence for the gun you can hold it until the the buyer produces his licence, there is no need to hand it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭foxboy

Exactly as GunHappy said above.
    no need to get a dealer involved if your licence will last until the person buying the gun gets theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I tried to do same many years ago, gardaí insisted I hand it in to an RFD while the other guy waited for a licence
    That's not because of the law; it's for reasons of personal security (look up GUBU on wikipedia for the full tale).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

when i got my 22 your mans licence waz out 2 years the nut job but i just letter of him sayin he was sellin to me with all thr details of gun gave it to the guards with the app form no prob maybe the just didnt act on it but i got the licence and every thin is fine now

Sparks wrote: »
    That's not because of the law; it's for reasons of personal security (look up GUBU on wikipedia for the full tale).

I was never a fan of Conor Cruise O'Brien......

It was because the local FO were the final say, as back then there had been no court case success etc

Thankfully we are now far better informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

Thanks to all for the replies, very good information from all as usual.

Thanks and best regards for 2011

:):)

p.s. selling to a good friend and not to someone I dont know, Looking up the GUBU on Wiki I'm glad it is someone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mountainy Jack

The answer is YES

Clive did you submit any additional info with the FCA1? Like a letter that gunhappy supplied?

Advertisement