Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Brew

Options
  • 06-01-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

So I'm starting my first brew this weekend from the Coopers kit as it arrived yesterday. It's a lager kit and reading the booklet yesterday it says to ferment betweent 21-27 degrees. This seems quite high? I don't know where I'm going to get 21 degrees at this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

jimmybeige wrote: »
    So I'm starting my first brew this weekend from the Coopers kit as it arrived yesterday. It's a lager kit and reading the booklet yesterday it says to ferment betweent 21-27 degrees. This seems quite high? I don't know where I'm going to get 21 degrees at this time of year?

It isn't going to be a lager, despite it's name - it probably has ale yeast, hence the 21ish degrees. I'd suggest not making the lager kit and getting an ale or stout one instead, much easier in terms of temperature control, and will be more like commercial examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Well I already have the kit so will probably make a stab at it.

Would the ale or stout ferment at a lower temperature? I will struggle to get anywhere at 21 degrees these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm a few days into my first brew with that exact same coopers kit.
    My hot press is always between 18 and 22. The DVD that comes with the kit says that 21.7 is the sweet spot. Try stickin the fermenter in some place with the temperature sticker on the side and see if it stays around the 20 degree mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What about using something like a Brew Belt? Haven't used one myself so don't know if it'll get warm enough for you.

you can ferment anywhere between 16 or so and 20+
    Different temperatures will introduce different flavours as a result of the yeast.
    that coopers kit will *not* taste like a lager, especially at 21degrees, what you'll most likely get is something akin to Steam Beer.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that guys. Yea not expecting it to taste great but worth a shot just to get one brew done at least and learn from there.

That brew belt sounds handy alright!

jimmybeige wrote: »
    Cheers for that guys. Yea not expecting it to taste great but worth a shot just to get one brew done at least and learn from there.
    Absolutely, but just as long as you don't take one mouthful and go "this is sh1t" and stop making beer.

Ah not at all! I know not to expect too much at the start.

Been doing a good bit of reading up on it and would like to progress to doing all grain eventually with a little more investment, but just trying to get the basics with the kits just to see how it turns out and get a feel for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Just trying a brew belt for the first time and seems good, tested the temp today and it was about 21 degrees. Seems like a good investment..
    You just slide it up or down your fermanter depending on the room temperature. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

kenmc wrote: »
    you can ferment anywhere between 16 or so and 20+
    Different temperatures will introduce different flavours as a result of the yeast.
    that coopers kit will *not* taste like a lager, especially at 21degrees, what you'll most likely get is something akin to Steam Beer.

So would it taste better at higher or lower temps?

• Advertisement

mgray wrote: »
    Just trying a brew belt for the first time and seems good, tested the temp today and it was about 21 degrees. Seems like a good investment..
    You just slide it up or down your fermanter depending on the room temperature. :)

Cool, thanks for that. I started the brew on Saturday, and the hot press actually seems about right. Hovering around 22 degrees, so not bad! Haven't seen any movement yet though. No bubbling or anything, just a little condensation in the airlock, which I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. Guess time will tell!

Advertisement