Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting a couple of Goldfish

Options
  • 06-01-2011 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was considering getting a couple of Goldfish for a small fish tank. I just want something that's not to complicated. Want to get a black and White one if possible.

Is there anything I need to know? Tap water ok? Food I should feed them? Where to buy the fish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭boatbuilder

Ok here are a few pointers.

Anything other than a standard gold coloured fish is weaker and more prone to dying. For a beginner, I'd stick to a standard "gold" fish.

Tap water is ok, but ONLY if you treat it with water conditioner to remove the harmful chemicals in the tap water first.

Food...all they need is a few flakes of goldfish food. One pinch a day. No more or you'll kill em. Underfed is better than overfed.

Its good practice to change half the water every week or so. Never use any cleaning products or detergents when cleaning.
    Even using tap water to clean the tank is not good...you should use old water from the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

make sure you have a filter in there too.

many seem to think its ok not to bother if its just goldfish but this will stress them out and mean more frequent water changes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Goldfish are actually the worst fish to get for a small tank - they start small but grow big.
    It's recommended to have 30 gallons of water for one goldfish, and an extra 10 gallons for each additional goldfish.

They can and do survive in small tanks and bowls, but it's like raising a puppy in a birdcage. There's no room for them to grow, and they can get stressed out and ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

http://www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/small-plastic-fish-tank/391496

What fish would you recommend for this tank?

A betta / Siamese fighting fish, if you get one of the little water heaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Its actually too small for even one goldfish IMO. Get 3/4 white clouds and they would have enough room to swim around.

+ goldfish are quite messy fish. My goldfish/white cloud tank requires a lot more work than my warm water tank

Ya they look pretty funky. Would they be available in most Pet shops? Are they expensive? So I need a heater and water conditioner and fish food. Any brands models I should try to get?

The White clouds look nice too. Really glad I started this thread. Really appreciate the advice. Would have felt bad if I just bunged a couple of gold fish in treated water in a tank to small for them.

Could a Betta and two clouds survive in the tank I linked to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

I think that was also my first tank. White clouds and bettas can live together fine (had them together myself before but in a much bigger tank) but whether the tank is big enough is another thing.

You need to consider the sizes they will grow to when fully plus the space taken up by the heater if you betta route as well as anything else you want to put in like plants etc.

with something that size I'd think you'd be better of with a small shoal of tetras or similar. 6 or so small fish and will provide plenty of colour and movement, one or two small plants (real or plastic) and cover the rear of the tank to give a bit of "protection" to the fish to make them feel less exposed and more comfortable.

Thanks again so much for the advice. I'm getting a bit confused now with all the different species recommendations. What type of fish is this tank specifically designed for. I would like to build an artificial environment that suits that species.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

That tank is good for nothing and will break your heart, it would be cruel to put any fish into it Imo.

All fish tanks should be filtered and a small tank like that will be hard to get set up and keep the water stable.

If you spend a small amount of money on getting a proper set up and do it right it will work out a lot better for you and the fish :)

That tank is good for nothing and will break your heart, it would be cruel to put any fish into it Imo.

All fish tanks should be filtered and a small tank like that will be hard to get set up and keep the water stable.

If you spend a small amount of money on getting a proper set up and do it right it will work out a lot better for you and the fish :)

Ya, don't really have any money to spend on the tank. Even a small amount of money. The only reason I wanted to get fish is I'm getting the tank free. It's just a small hobby I want. Haven't room for anything much bigger really.

Ya, don't really have any money to spend on the tank. Even a small amount of money. The only reason I wanted to get fish is I'm getting the tank free. It's just a small hobby I want. Haven't room for anything much bigger really. Do you think I should leave it till I have more space/money to get some fish?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Ya, don't really have any money to spend on the tank. Even a small amount of money. The only reason I wanted to get fish is I'm getting the tank free. It's just a small hobby I want. Haven't room for anything much bigger really.

There's a decent sized tank on there for a fiver even :/

The thing with keeping healthy fish is it starts cheap, then the next thing you know is there's tanks everywhere, you're buying Stress Coat by the gallon drum and you've more fish medication than Seaworld.

You could probably get away with the free tank there and some White Clouds or tetras, I think they're cheap enough. The fish themselves are the cheapest part usually.

What I'd advise you to do is read up a bit on keeping those fish in a small tank - how often will you need to change water, how much water each time etc and get an idea of how to keep it going until you can upgrade.
    Keep an eye out on adverts and gumtree or wherever for people getting rid of filters or accessories.

Silverfish wrote: »
    There's a decent sized tank on there for a fiver even :/

The thing with keeping healthy fish is it starts cheap, then the next thing you know is there's tanks everywhere, you're buying Stress Coat by the gallon drum and you've more fish medication than Seaworld.

You could probably get away with the free tank there and some White Clouds or tetras, I think they're cheap enough. The fish themselves are the cheapest part usually.

What I'd advise you to do is read up a bit on keeping those fish in a small tank - how often will you need to change water, how much water each time etc and get an idea of how to keep it going until you can upgrade.
    Keep an eye out on adverts and gumtree or wherever for people getting rid of filters or accessories.

Where's the tank for a fiver SF? Its a complicated affair isn't it? So a filter and a water conditioner is absolutely vital?

Where's the tank for a fiver SF? Its a complicated affair isn't it? So a filter and a water conditioner is absolutely vital?

filter, yes definitly. but you can get very small one that are suitable for such a tank and they shouldn't cost a whole lot.

water conditioner in a tank that size probably is also. I tend to still you, but not all the time. Chlorine will dissipate from water if you leave it standing in a basin for a while, this will also allow tap water to warm up to room temp, reducing the temp differential.

http://www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/large-fishtank-with-stand/237949 - it's in Limerick though :/

Love the price, far to big for what I am after though. I have only a very small amount of space for the tank.

Love the price, far to big for what I am after though. I have only a very small amount of space for the tank.

Ah. Well then I'd say get that one, and get a filter and small heater - like this one maybe.

White clouds are about 2 quid, and tetras are about 2-4 quid, a betta is a fiver or so, so the fish will definitely be the cheapest part.

I'd say try 2 or so fish at the start anyway, and see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Silverfish wrote: »

White clouds are about 2 quid, and tetras are about 2-4 quid, a betta is a fiver or so, so the fish will definitely be the cheapest part.

Where did you see Bettas for a fiver?

• Advertisement

Where did you see Bettas for a fiver?

Actually yeah, I checked the receipt for mine and he was 7 quid, sorry.

Seahorse aquariums have them for 5.99 for a male - 3.99 for a female.

Called into a pet shop today, I was pricing filters and water conditioners. 19.99 for an aqua one filter, and €4 for water conditioner. Would I get a filter cheaper anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Called into a pet shop today, I was pricing filters and water conditioners. 19.99 for an aqua one filter, and €4 for water conditioner. Would I get a filter cheaper anywhere?

I don't think so- for 19.99 you're probably talking about the smallest filter. If you were to go for a sponge filter it would cost as much by the time you got airtubing, airstone and compressor.

You can save on the water conditioner- I don't use and have never had any problems but the I use rainwater collected in water butts.

As mentioned earlier if you let the water for water changes stand in a bucket or basin for a while before adding them to the tank the chlorine will dissipate.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

Ya they look pretty funky. Would they be available in most Pet shops? Are they expensive? So I need a heater and water conditioner and fish food. Any brands models I should try to get?

The White clouds look nice too. Really glad I started this thread. Really appreciate the advice. Would have felt bad if I just bunged a couple of gold fish in treated water in a tank to small for them.

Could a Betta and two clouds survive in the tank I linked to above?

Stick with the betta fish on it's own. Two clouds is not enough. Clouds are a shooling fish and need at least 5 to feel safe and secure in their surroundings. Betta fish are great and come in a lot of colours. When ever a pet shop gets new fish stock in they always have wonderful selection of Betta's. Be careful though the pet store may tell you that betta females can co exist with a male which is not true. Female betta's can sometime's co exist with other females but they are just as likely to stay in the same tank for months peacefully only to suddenly turn and rip each other to shreds.

e-bay sell little water heaters perfect for your tank size. I kept my Betta in a 12 gallon tank on his own but moved him to a 5 gallon and he is still happy and bright. They can do well in smaller but you got to be more vigilant.

Karma25 wrote: »
    Stick with the betta fish on it's own. Two clouds is not enough. Clouds are a shooling fish and need at least 5 to feel safe and secure in their surroundings. Betta fish are great and come in a lot of colours. When ever a pet shop gets new fish stock in they always have wonderful selection of Betta's. Be careful though the pet store may tell you that betta females can co exist with a male which is not true. Female betta's can sometime's co exist with other females but they are just as likely to stay in the same tank for months peacefully only to suddenly turn and rip each other to shreds.

e-bay sell little water heaters perfect for your tank size. I kept my Betta in a 12 gallon tank on his own but moved him to a 5 gallon and he is still happy and bright. They can do well in smaller but you got to be more vigilant.

So you are suggesting I get a single Betta? Would it not be lonely? If not, great? Could anyone post a link for a suitable filter and heater for this tank? Just so I am 100% sure I am getting the right thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Karma25

So you are suggesting I get a single Betta? Would it not be lonely? If not, great? Could anyone post a link for a suitable filter and heater for this tank? Just so I am 100% sure I am getting the right thing?

They do better lonely! The wild version of a Betta fish are found in mud puddles so they fight for whatever Territory's they can get. Trust me if you get a male he will fight with anything fancy or colourful. The best things you can get are shrimp to clean the tank or miniature aquatic frogs and they can still eat your shrimp and nip the frog.

Any small heater or filter will do. They are not messy and the heater only designs to keep it at room temp. I will get a link for you soon. Trust me you will love them as they have such personality and vibrant colours. Some have been known to only to recognize their owners voice and only eat food of them!

Perfect Heater.
    Filter

The two items above should do well for any tank bout 5 gallons. I cant say how good the products are cause I have never used but they should do fine.

Advertisement