Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant causes huge damage in just 3 weeks

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I don't think there would be any point persuing this case...in the future make sure you get references for prospective tenants..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

delllat wrote: »
    t.... but ive always imagined that a furnished house would be more "rentable"

Fast food vs the healthy option maybe.

When I was in germany yourented a white painted empty apartment. Thats the way you returned it. Empty and freshly painted. Don't know if that common or not. It would save of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

BostonB wrote: »

When I was in germany yourented a white painted empty apartment. Thats the way you returned it. Empty and freshly painted. Don't know if that common or not. It would save of hassle.

It would certainly be a good idea to implement this as common custom here. As others have mentioned, if you own your own furniture etc you are more likely to take care of it and less likely to have wild parties where god knows what damage could be done, thus leaving the LL unexposed to having to replace broken and damaged furniture and/or having damage done to walls and carpets, and you have the added bonus as a tenant of having furniture that you actually like and can use comfortably as opposed to a heap of old dirty worn junk that is all too often the standard in rental properties in Ireland.

The LL would have less of a headache if all they had to ensure was that the actual property was looked after and left clean and usable, rather than worrying about myriad furniture/white goods/sundries. Also would be handy to have the walls freshly painted as standard, that way if the tenant wants some mental colour scheme they're free to do so as long as they paint it back plain white/magnolia upon vacating.

We have all our own furniture and white goods (barring a cooker) and it's hard enough to find unfurnished houses, so we go for semi-furnished, or ask the LL if they will remove some stuff/can store the stuff in a garage etc. We also tend to go for longer tenancies as it's such a hassle to move everything once every 12 months :)

As for the original poster's problem - TBH it'll be a headache to pursue this through courts etc. Use the deposit to cover as much as you can - you need 2 new beds, 2 new diningroom chairs, a new carpet, and the shower fixed up. The dog crap can be cleaned (although it is a horrible job).

You could go down the route of advertising it as furnished or unfurnished, and you might get lucky and get someone who wants it unfurnished, then you only have to replace the carpet, fix the shower and clear the dogcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

I would prefer unfurnished, there is a market of people who have furniture such as myself and husband. We own good quality furniture and do not want to use old shabby stuff that ll thinks is good enough for tenants. There is a new breed of tenants around now, people who sold houses a few years ago and then delayed rebuying because of the recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i was in germany too a few years back and the concept of renting anything fully furnished was unheard off :)

for the rent you get walls and a floor and provide the rest yourself if you need/want it

unfortunately fast food outsells healthy food in most countries these days and the sales fiqures back it up

but its not a fair comparison because junk food is cheap,fast,easily accesable to kids and and a healthy meal costs more/takes longer/isnt as widely available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In NI and England the unfurnished rentals were marketed a little bit under what a furnished property would be - i.e. £600 as opposed to £650 for example. It's a really good idea for the reasons everyone else already gave so I won't repeat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

I didn't think that this would come under their remit?

"consumer claims"

Wrong!!!!

According to the Courts Service web site you can claim up to €2000 for

"(b) a claim for minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)"

It only costs €15 is easy to use and if you are in the right you will win.

NWPat wrote: »
    Wrong!!!!

According to the Courts Service web site you can claim up to €2000 for

"(b) a claim for minor damage to property (but excluding personal injuries)"

It only costs €15 is easy to use and if you are in the right you will win.

It also says

The Private Residential Tenancies Board handles such claims for the mainstream private rented housing sector.

It does not apply to claims in relation to: Breaches of leasing agreements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

There is one sure way to find out. Lodge a small claim for the damage to the property. If it is not applicable to your case you get your €15 back. If it is, you will get paid for the damage, assuming he/she has the money to pay. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Anon1234 wrote: »
    Hi,

So here's the story. I have a rental property for the last 2 years. We did a lot of work renovating and updating when we got the property. All now furniture and fittings were installed. We rented to our first tenants in summer 08. They stayed 18mths. They left the place in November last in pristine condition. All looked good. We then rented it out in early December to a single guy. He was in the house 3 weeks when he txted to tell us he was moving out (the day before his rent was due). When we went to see the house we found that it had been trashed. 2 double begs broken. He had a dog in the house who wrecked one of the carpets, pulling at it with his paws. He ate through the lef of one of the kitchen chairs, another chair is broken, living room carpet has massive stains from spills, shower taken apart, back yard covered in dog crap... etc. etc.. It just look slike they used it as a party house for 3 weeks and have cause so much damage

As he was only in 3 weeks we hadn't even got around to registering with the PTRB - planning to do it this week.

Deposit doesn't come near covering the damage. So what should I do. I have pictures, but I am tempted to call the Guards to show them the state of the place... what do you think? Then persue him through the small claims court?

As he was only in 3 weeks and the place was in perfect nic before, can any of this be put down to wear and tear?

Advice please???

Really sorry to hear this. There was a LL on here a while back complaining because the previous tenant didn't clean the flat before vacating it and wanted to withhold the deposit ... this puts it in perspective !

My experience in other areas is that unless you are talking tens of thousands the legal route is not worth it.

I wonder is there insurance for LL's against this kind of thing ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

echosound wrote: »
    It would certainly be a good idea to implement this as common custom here. As others have mentioned, if you own your own furniture etc you are more likely to take care of it and less likely to have wild parties where god knows what damage could be done, thus leaving the LL unexposed to having to replace broken and damaged furniture and/or having damage done to walls and carpets, and you have the added bonus as a tenant of having furniture that you actually like and can use comfortably as opposed to a heap of old dirty worn junk that is all too often the standard in rental properties in Ireland.

The LL would have less of a headache if all they had to ensure was that the actual property was looked after and left clean and usable, rather than worrying about myriad furniture/white goods/sundries. Also would be handy to have the walls freshly painted as standard, that way if the tenant wants some mental colour scheme they're free to do so as long as they paint it back plain white/magnolia upon vacating.

We have all our own furniture and white goods (barring a cooker) and it's hard enough to find unfurnished houses, so we go for semi-furnished, or ask the LL if they will remove some stuff/can store the stuff in a garage etc. We also tend to go for longer tenancies as it's such a hassle to move everything once every 12 months :)

As for the original poster's problem - TBH it'll be a headache to pursue this through courts etc. Use the deposit to cover as much as you can - you need 2 new beds, 2 new diningroom chairs, a new carpet, and the shower fixed up. The dog crap can be cleaned (although it is a horrible job).

You could go down the route of advertising it as furnished or unfurnished, and you might get lucky and get someone who wants it unfurnished, then you only have to replace the carpet, fix the shower and clear the dogcrap.

Great idea ... worked this way in Belgium too. Also you would mostly attract tenants saving for a house and would take much better care of an apartment full of their own stuff. I reckon if you offered a discounted rent unfurnished you would have a lot of success with this approach.

People from the continent would already be familiar with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭hsi

Did you ask for a Months deposit and a Months rent!?? Did you get references.

Renting is always risky, Always better to get the homework done beforehand.

Have rented to Polish Families many times and found them the best, (Families not men)
    They leave the house 100% clean.
    They don't wear shoes at all in the house and Carpets never get wrecked.

Have rented to 2 Irish Families, also had no issues.

Single men... You are taking your life in your hands, They will never hoover, Mattreses will be stained beyond use. Not to generalise.

Rented to a Gay guy once. No issues.

hsi wrote: »
    Did you ask for a Months deposit and a Months rent!?? Did you get references.

Renting is always risky, Always better to get the homework done beforehand.

Have rented to Polish Families many times and found them the best, (Families not men)
    They leave the house 100% clean.
    They don't wear shoes at all in the house and Carpets never get wrecked.

Have rented to 2 Irish Families, also had no issues.

Single men... You are taking your life in your hands, They will never hoover, Mattreses will be stained beyond use. Not to generalise.

Rented to a Gay guy once. No issues.

complete generalistation followed by "Not to generalise." :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

complete generalistation followed by "Not to generalise." :rolleyes:

Well those are the facts as happened, its not an opinion.

alex73 wrote: »
    Well those are the facts as happened, its not an opinion.

still you cant say if anyone rents to an irish man the mattress will be stained beyond use (unless hes gay ) LOL and the hoovering never will be done :D

if i changed that statment the other way around id either be labelled racist against polish people or homophobic against gay people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

still you cant say if anyone rents to an irish man the mattress will be stained beyond use (unless hes gay ) LOL and the hoovering never will be done :D

if i changed that statment the other way around id either be labelled racist against polish people or homophobic against gay people

Just do the homework is all I am saying. Single men in general from my experience are the worst. Or worse still a house full of 2 or 3 men who rent the rooms.

Families tend to have more pride in their houses.

At the end of the day the poster was left with a wrecked house.

NWPat wrote: »
    There is one sure way to find out. Lodge a small claim for the damage to the property. If it is not applicable to your case you get your €15 back. If it is, you will get paid for the damage, assuming he/she has the money to pay. You have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

Good point.

alex73 wrote: »
    Just do the homework is all I am saying. Single men in general from my experience are the worst. Or worse still a house full of 2 or 3 men who rent the rooms.

Families tend to have more pride in their houses.

At the end of the day the poster was left with a wrecked house.

i agree families would almost always make better tenants than a gang of young men regardless of them being /irish/polish/gay

ive seen plenty of houses getting completely destroyed by young people having parties in them and the deposit doesnt come close

i know a woman who rented a brand new house to 5 young unemployed irish guys and they just stopped paying the rent into the landlords bank after the second month + trashed the house and terrorised the neighbours for months with anti-social behaviour and by the time she realised they hadnt been putting the money in the bank she was owed thousands and they were all broke so she kicked them out but it was a massive learning curve for her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Anon1234

Thanks all for the feedback... spent Saturday with my brother cleaning the place from top to bottom and salvaging as much as possible. Got alot done and the place is looking back to normal now... but guess what the guy has left me as a parting gift... his dog... yes the dog is still my tennant.

Tried contacting him, not answering phone... sent txt's etc... no answer. So we phoned the ISPCA to have the dog taken into care....they are coming today we hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Anon1234 wrote: »
    T but guess what the guy has left me as a parting gift... his dog... yes the dog is still my tennant.

Tried contacting him, not answering phone... sent txt's etc... no answer. So we phoned the ISPCA to have the dog taken into care....they are coming today we hope.

Jesus sounds like you're well shot of this guy :mad: What a wonderful person he sounds like. Poor dog. Better off with a new owner that actually cares about him, and good on you for taking care of that.

Glad you got the house back into a decent state again, and hope you will find a decent tenant that will respect the house this time round.

• Advertisement
Advertisement