Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please sir, can we have some more?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭

More avatars that is. I totally appreciate that having a customised avatar soley for donators is important, but I'm guessing that since the site started and when we got these avatars there were far less people on the website. It does get repetitive seeing the same old avatars every few minutes and it makes it hard to keep track of posters at times.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There are 100's there, if people would be original, and scroll past the first page they would find a lot more

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Terry and Dr. Bollocko avatars wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i hate my avatar - but i could be bothered to change it - i must subscribe some day.

when the subscription plans are reviewed *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

a few more would be nice

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That_Guy wrote: »
    Terry and Dr. Bollocko avatars wouldn't go amiss.

:confused:
    What did I do now?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

:confused:
    What did I do now?!

I think he just want to have your nekkid pic as his avatar..

alwaysadub wrote: »
    I think he just want to have your nekkid pic as his avatar..

Gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

How do you get an actual picture as your avatar?

I see some mods have bigger and different ones.

Is it possible for us to get them?

DMG_49 wrote: »
    How do you get an actual picture as your avatar?

I see some mods have bigger and different ones.

Is it possible for us to get them?

You have to be a subscriber I'm afraid.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311348

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

You have to be a subscriber I'm afraid.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=311348

Aw I see....So there is us and THEM:D

• Advertisement

DMG_49 wrote: »
    Aw I see....So there is us and THEM:D

Well yeah... But you can move to the axis of evil for a fiver a month.

Well yeah... But you can move to the axis of evil for a fiver a month.

If i pay a fiver a month to boards, with the recession and balancing loaves and fishes - there will be a small village in africa going without clean drinking water every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

snyper wrote: »
    i must subscribe some day.

when the subscription plans are reviewed *cough*

What would you suggest? What would be a fair price do you reckon?

Darragh wrote: »
    What would you suggest? What would be a fair price do you reckon?

It is fair, but not what i would pay
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055829124

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

In light of the current economic climate it might be prudent to reconsider subscription fees, imho. In times like these it's often necessary to make a short term loss to get a long term gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Am open to that - but can I get a suggestion on what you think we should charge?

Am open to that - but can I get a suggestion on what you think we should charge?

You do realise you're leaving yourself open to somebody suggesting about tree fiddy right?

615_image-13.jpg

Maybe €25

I don't think thats too much
    You do realise you're leaving yourself open to somebody suggesting about tree fiddy right?

"I gave him a dolla"

If you plan on just keeping the one sub package as is - 30 for the year tops, and leave the 5 per single month as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While I was massively drunk at the Xmas party, a colleague suggested a change of subscription model to me.

More along the lines of somethingawful, you pay a "lifetime" subscription for the various subscriber benefits. That is, a one-off payment which gets you all the usual subscriber benefits.

The obvious rationale being that you may bring in a lot more cash if you have a one-off say €25 payment, rather than €50/year.

It would depend on looking at the figures though. As far as I can tell, there are about 400 subscribers, though a small chunk of them aren't actual subscribers, just happen to be in the usergroup.

If they all pay €50/year (they don't :)), that's €20k. On the other hand, if you assume that you currently have 2,000 regulars (i.e. online all the time), all of whom would pay the €25 one-off fee, minus the current subscribers that's an instant drop of €40k into the kitty.

According to big-boards.com, boards.ie had around 100,000 new users last year (that can't be right?). If you have a 1% subscription rate from new sign-ups, that's €25k per year into the kitty.

Just throwing it out there, my figures are largely plucked out of the air.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    While I was massively drunk at the Xmas party, a colleague suggested a change of subscription model to me.

More along the lines of somethingawful, you pay a "lifetime" subscription for the various subscriber benefits. That is, a one-off payment which gets you all the usual subscriber benefits.

The obvious rationale being that you may bring in a lot more cash if you have a one-off say €25 payment, rather than €50/year.

It would depend on looking at the figures though. As far as I can tell, there are about 400 subscribers, though a small chunk of them aren't actual subscribers, just happen to be in the usergroup.

If they all pay €50/year (they don't :)), that's €20k. On the other hand, if you assume that you currently have 2,000 regulars (i.e. online all the time), all of whom would pay the €25 one-off fee, minus the current subscribers that's an instant drop of €40k into the kitty.

According to big-boards.com, boards.ie had around 100,000 new users last year (that can't be right?). If you have a 1% subscription rate from new sign-ups, that's €25k per year into the kitty.

Just throwing it out there, my figures are largely plucked out of the air.

Only a small fraction would pay the once off fee, and there are currently only 400ish subscribers, so i would envisage perhaps 600 more "hardcore" members taking that offer up initally, and perhaps a fraction that again in subsequent years.

I still think my tiered system would increase revenue & increase subscriber numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Tallon wrote: »
    "I gave him a dolla"

What!? You gave him a dolla?!

I read Snyper's linked thread, I think that the "bronze" is too cheap for what it gives. Especially the custom avatar, maybe the bronze should allow a greater selection of avatars not custom ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Let us pay with laser, I was all geared up to do so a week or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

If subscriptions are a one time 25 euro payment, would that come with the same benefits as the 50 euro per year subscription?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Going back to the topic....I'll give the leftover roast ham from dinner for some new avatars.

What kind of ham?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Nice ham....I'll also trade ham for a subscription so I can upload my own avatar...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

roast ham? Boiling's the only way to cook a ham!

As a not very frequent subscriber, I'd be more likely to pay say about 20-25 quid a year purely for the custom avatar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Links234 wrote: »
    If subscriptions are a one time 25 euro payment, would that come with the same benefits as the 50 euro per year subscription?

Probably too early to speculate.
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    Cue people claiming they never 'get' these cards, or that they stopped being funny 8 years ago (If at all).

It's all about the Boards.ie Crazy Bands these days. I have one shaped like a ban-hammer* around my wrist to remind me of what I once was.

*It's like a regular hammer but limp on one end and aflame on the other end.*

*Obviously a metaphor. To use such a hammer would be impractical and very dangerous in real life.*

*Presumably. I have never used a hammer in real life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭clln

Tallon wrote: »
    There are 100's there, if people would be original, and scroll past the first page they would find a lot more

LoLth: personal insult snipped.

Advertisement