Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please sir, can we have some more?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Darragh wrote: »
    Am open to that - but can I get a suggestion on what you think we should charge?

10 Euro per year or a one off fee that would allow you your own avatar :) And the option to pay via paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually, the discussion with my collegue has come back to me in more clarity (it was a long night).

He'd actually said that there should be a one-off lifetime subscription which gives access to stuff like S & S, but then for things like name changes, custom avatars, custom taglines, etc, these can be "bought" for a fiver a go.

So every time you want a name change you stick a fiver in the pot. If you want to be able to use your own avatar, a fiver. And so forth.

Personally I don't think that's very boards' style and whether people are prepared to pay a fiver for something as whimsical as a name change - I don't think so. But maybe I'm wrong. I would imagine that existing subscribers would neeed to be given a special lifetime membership or summat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I like that idea, but I also like the ability to change my avatar for a few mins for a running joke or whatever.

Also, would a custom title change require the fiver etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Tallon wrote: »
    I like that idea, but I also like the ability to change my avatar for a few mins for a running joke or whatever.

Also, would a custom title change require the fiver etc?
    I think the idea that any "fiddling" would require a fiver. I think it's probably a bit of a pisstake asking someone for a fiver every time they want to change their avatar or tagline, but perhaps five changes for a fiver or something would be good? Take the iTunes/App Store approach and make every change cheap (like a euro) and people might be more willing to accept it.

The only problem is that to make it worthwhile using paypal, you'd have to have minimum spends of a fiver or so, perhaps allowing people to buy "credits" to make changes to their account?

Sounds way too messy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

sounds horrible, I've no idea why subscription is so expensive for the benefits you get

why not a one-time subscription that has all the benefits of the current subscription? and grant that life time subscription to all subscribers then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Subscription is a misnomer it's always been more of a donation to the site.
    This was back when there would be a jar for fundraising for new servers at beers or people would be sticking money in Dev's Pocket.

So a way for posters to donate to the site was set up and a few benefits given in exchange for donating to the site, it was never about value for money it was about keeping this place running and even with Daft ltd buying into to boards ltd this place is still running at a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Is the money actually needed?

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Subscription is a misnomer it's always been more of a donation to the site.
    This was back when there would be a jar for fundraising for new servers at beers or people would be sticking money in Dev's Pocket.

So a way for posters to donate to the site was set up and a few benefits given in exchange for donating to the site, it was never about value for money it was about keeping this place running and even with Daft ltd buying into to boards ltd this place is still running at a loss.
    Yes, and as the site has grown, and people want to become individuals, it has become much much more than just donating.

I'm pretty sure boards wont go down the tube if I stop subscribing, but if I should lose my user title and avatar, I shall be devestated.

I help the community as much as I can on this site, that is my donation, not a few Euro that is pocket change in comparison to the rest of the income of the site

I have no idea what the revenue is from subscriptions but I do know the site doesn't break even. There has been talk of overhuling subscriptions, it's something which is in the works but unfortunatly every time some muppet looses the head and threathens to sue that eats into the time the staff have which means stuff like this get pushed back.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I have no idea what the revenue is from subscriptions but I do know the site doesn't break even.

I seriously doubt that, or are you officially stating that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I doubt a mod like Thaedydal (no offense) would have access to that kind of information; what need would the mods have to access it? The admins (and Dav, Connor and Ross), yes but the rest? Nah

Morkarleth wrote: »
    I doubt a mod like Thaedydal (no offense) would have access to that kind of information; what need would the mods have to access it? The admins (and Dav, Connor and Ross), yes but the rest? Nah
    Exactly, so why the comment?

Edit: Sorry, I missed this post...
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Is the money actually needed?

This is exactly what I'm getting at. I have a strong feeling the site is not depending on subscriptions alone and doubt it will have to close down due to lack therof subs

A once off or reduced cost sub would be the best way forward to get high numbers of subscriber, that coupled with the ability to pay laser etc. as per the discusion at the start of this thread

I know a lof people who want to sub, but either think it's too expensive or they don't have paypal

Morkarleth wrote: »

Anyone can look at the profits and loss of a company they are public records and it was stated in the last 3 months that boards made a loss last year and it's value was marked down. It was reported in the Indo ffs.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/dafts-pretax-up-25pc-despite-writedowns-2358981.html

It was reported on September 30th and was posted about and linked to in AH on October 1st.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048485&highlight=daft.ie+shares

And here is DeV's post clarifying.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68297674&postcount=37

So wow look gee whiz I do have that info, so does anyone who can use the site search or google be they be a mod, a poster or someone who doesn't have an account. :P
    Tallon wrote: »
    A once off or reduced cost sub would be the best way forward to get high numbers of subscriber, that coupled with the ability to pay laser etc. as per the discusion at the start of this thread

I know a lot people who want to sub, but either think it's too expensive or they don't have paypal

Paypal is a pain, I am sure that it's on the list of things to be looked at and over hauled, cos it's been said that it is but every time some one gets their knickers in a knot or thinks that the site has money they start making legal threats or some other issue crops up that takes up the staffs time.

A site this big there is always going to be a fire to be fought some where,
    and balls now I have a horrid image of Dav, Darragh, Devore, Connor and Ross
    in fireman outfits, jayus come back fireman Sam all is forgiven.

Any indication of a time frame of when changes if any to subscriptions might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Tallon thinks this fits here, so copying from my other post
    Zynks wrote: »
    Boards.ie, in my view, could bee much more successful in attracting paid subscriptions if a review was made of the current approach.

At the moment the fee is €50 per year and the vast majority of people are not even aware of this option or its 'benefits'.

Overall there is a lot of goodwill towards boards, and that could easily be monetized to ensure that boards is well funded and in a position to improve the services overtime.

My first issue is with the price. €50 is too high for most people, no matter how much they like boards. €20 would be in a range that people would find it easy to decide, and I suggest that additional sign ups would more than compensate for the lower price.

Promotion 1: There should be more visibility of this option, advertised either as a means to support boards (and advertised as such) or as a 'status' symbol, such as the avatar option.

Promotion 2: Why not have competitions where the prize is the subscription? It costs nothing and will create awareness and desirability.

Promotion 3: Why not have a 30 day promotion to test the theory of takeup on a lower price? Offer it for €20 for a limited period of time.

Of course, you could also adopt payment in kind for work done. For instance, I think I deserve a free paid subscription for this great advice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

I am looking at this, just so you know. Next week's task :) Thanks for the input!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Darragh wrote: »
    I am looking at this, just so you know. Next week's task :) Thanks for the input!

Hi Darragh,

Just whilst you're looking at the subs and taking this thread even further off topic :) ....

Would it be worthwhile to offer other incentives to subscribers. I know that you have boards deals up and running now providing a revenue stream and group discounts etc but how about tying up with retailers to offer smaller discounts (as in not the massive one off promos on boards deals but regular 5% off type discounts) to subscribers. Be that 5% off at Gamesnash, Elara, Pizza Companies whomever - there are plenty of companies who would be happy to offer small discounts in exchange for a large group of potential customers.

If you had a list of 10 or 20 retailers or maybe more who would offer discounts to subscribers you may find that users here could pay for the subscription with the savings made which would surely lead to a big increase in subscribers. A win win for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Just make it so I can pay with laser, and Il be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think "Subscription" should be renamed "Donations" and shouldn't be linked to any benefits (at all). It should be completely voluntary.

=====

I think we should look at charging something like:

€20 administration charge for name change
    €20 administration charge to unlock "upload your own avatar"
    €10 administration charge to unlock "personalise your tagline"

• Advertisement

To add to the points in my post above, another source of revenue would be having iPhone and Android apps in two flavors: free with ads or paid with no ads. That could raise a few extra yo-yos...

I know I would go for the paid Android app.

The paid app could also entitle the buyer to a three month paid sub, creating a precedent that should increase acceptance of paid subs.

In any case, the free app should generate a nice income anyway - I suggest checking out reported experiences of developers who distribute the apps under both models. Here is a ling to a good study on the subject of paid vs free: http://www.slideshare.net/pinchmedia/iphone-appstore-secrets-pinch-media?from=ss_embed

There are little similarities between a boards app and the average app in terms of use and stickiness, so I would expect the ad revenue from the free apps would be much higher in comparison.

Trojan wrote: »
    I think "Subscription" should be renamed "Donations" and shouldn't be linked to any benefits (at all). It should be completely voluntary.

=====

I take it you don't mean 20 euro per avatar change :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not trying to sound awkward, but thats a horrible idea.

Its screams of BS charges the government get for doing nothing.

Its essentially similar to what is being suggested elsewhere, but the wording of it is importantvital from a marketing perspective, to maintain goodwill and avoid the us v's "the man" arguements

"administration charge" *spit*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

snyper wrote: »
    Not trying to sound awkward, but thats a horrible idea.

Its screams of BS charges the government get for doing nothing.

Its essentially similar to what is being suggested elsewhere, but the wording of it is importantvital from a marketing perspective, to maintain goodwill and avoid the us v's "the man" arguements

"administration charge" *spit*

That's you're opinion, and you're welcome to it. I don't think it's a horrible idea :)

I agree with you that the wording is important, that's why I think Donations is a far better word than Subscription, as mentioned by some folks before.

To answer a previous question, I think the name changes should be an "per change" charge, and the avatar change should be "pay once, unlock the ability to change any time" charge.

I think it is fair to charge for name changes and avatar changes. Having a name change charge dissuades people from requesting them too often, which is a good thing because a) VBulletin can't physically rename loads of people regularly because the database tables are an unholy mess and b) communities get very confusing when folks are regularly changing names. There is also a bit of work implementing the changes - not a massive amount, but enough to take some time. Regards the naming, if you don't want to call it an "administration charge", that's fine by me.

At the end of the day, the guys at HQ will look at our posts here and have a chat about it and make their own call on what they think is best.

To answer a previous question, I think the name changes should be an "per change" charge, and the avatar change should be "pay once, unlock the ability to change any time" charge.

This, this is the best idea... imo of course

I think Trojan is on to something here. Subscription is not the best word. But donation feels a bit like charity. What about sponsorship? There could be a little logo "I sponsor boards.ie" to go with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

All I wanted were some avatars....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

That's you're opinion, and you're welcome to it. I don't think it's a horrible idea :)

I apologise if the tone of my post was a little short, i think horrible is perhaps the wrong word, (I'm just in a really pissy mood, I'm losing my job and Ive slept for about 3 hours in the last 3 days *sigh*)

Anyhow, its was merely the term "administration charge" that i don't like, oddly if you called it something different to do the same thing it wouldn't bother me as much.. go figure.

I think boards should look at revenue generation, but i think the figure discussed for the demographic of members we have is too high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

=====

Those prices are way too high for what they are giving.

A name change should be something like €2-3.

Maybe charge €5 for "upload your own avatar" "personalize your tagline" together.

The prices in the quoted post above would only put people off. I'd say with cheaper prices like above people would be more willing to pay for them.

Also i'd like to echo the request for more avatars.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement