Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank Robbery on Camden Street

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen this pop up on twitter... anyone know what happened? Apparently the ulster bank got it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Can't hear any sirens or helicopter, or haven't since 10.50.

EDIT: Here's the copter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Apparently there were gunshots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Wow. didn't think that people robed banks these days, what with all those stringent security measures and stuff:confused: :P

Taken from Twitter
    Bank robbery in Ulster Bank, Camden St just now. Witnessed by gf. 2 guys ran out. Gunshot heard. Cops screaming around now.

Helicopter still about, and just heard a good few sirens. Weird place to rob a bank imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Taken from Twitter

Helicopter still about, and just heard a good few sirens. Weird place to rob a bank imo.

Seen that on the same twitter a/c earlier...

Bit mad robbing a bank now what with all the security measures

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Seen that on the same twitter a/c earlier...

Bit mad robbing a bank now what with all the security measures

Bit mad robbing a bank that is basically in the centre of an arse load of garda stations, Kevin St, Harcourt Tce, Pearse St, Rathmines, Donnybrook, literally every angle covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Bit mad robbing a bank that is basically in the centre of an arse load of garda stations, Kevin St, Harcourt Tce, Pearse St, Rathmines, Donnybrook, literally every angle covered.

I seem to remember the BoI there getting robbed not so long ago. Must be something to do with the "relatively" wide straight road leading to a quick get-away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What are all these security measures you speak of?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

IMF,ECB etc.

They hold all the money now so banks don't have it to rob anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

Alarms, double doors, time delay entrances, exploding dye packs, security screens on the counters, cctv, security guards, panic buttons connected to the nearest garda station, you name it!

• Advertisement

Alarms, double doors, time delay entrances, exploding dye packs, security screens on the counters, cctv, security guards, panic buttons connected to the nearest garda station, you name it!

Fair enough. Im skeptical on whether they actually use the double doors in Ireland. This kinda threatens the lives of customers inside when you have a boxed in armed robber in the house amongst the customers.
    I dont know of any cases here where double doors in a bank was used that helped catch an armed robber. You see it used in bookies in the uk though.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Any news reports yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

what are you planning:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wish i could rob a bank :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Fair enough. Im skeptical on whether they actually use the double doors in Ireland. This kinda threatens the lives of customers inside when you have a boxed in armed robber in the house amongst the customers.
    I dont know of any cases here where double doors in a bank was used that helped catch an armed robber. You see it used in bookies in the uk though.

The thief gets caught in between the 2 doors so isnt boxed in with customers. I've seen it used in a few AIB branches (templeogue, Baggot Street)

The reason you never hear of robbers getting caught in these double doors is because you'd have to be particularly stupid to rob a bank with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

It's a sad day when twitter knows about a bank robbery before the cops do:(

shoulda used the #999 hashtag loike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

didnt seem like too much of a fuss went on,2 cop cars didn't see a helicopter.
    I heard what sounded like a shotgun but i never heard a shotgun before so???

Could have been the dye pack going off rather than a gun shot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Odd that there's nothing about it on BreakingNews.ie yet - that tweet went out about 3 hours ago.

• Advertisement

Danbo! wrote: »
    The thief gets caught in between the 2 doors so isnt boxed in with customers. I've seen it used in a few AIB branches (templeogue, Baggot Street)

The reason you never hear of robbers getting caught in these double doors is because you'd have to be particularly stupid to rob a bank with them.

Oh right, forgot about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

The Ulster Bank on Camden St. doesn't have double doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

kellsred wrote: »
    The Ulster Bank on Camden St. doesn't have double doors

You seem to know an awful lot about this crime, was it you?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Dancor wrote: »
    You seem to know an awful lot about this crime, was it you?

I've said too much...

On an entirely unrelated point, anyone know how to get industrial blue dye off materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Still nothing about this on any news site.

Did it actually happen?

[edit] Re-edit - apparently it did. But for some reason news sites ignored it until hours and hours and hours later. [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 37 nearyj

I heard the electricity was cut on camden st. Tesco had to close. Gf just told me now. When I googled "ulster bank robbery Camden st", boards.ie was top of the results ,followed by a report on the robbery by the Belfast telegraph. The 3rd news source was the corkman. Rte and breaking news aren't covering it.

Corkman.ie
    "Two men are being questioned over a bank robbery in Dublin.
    Raiders entered the Ulster Bank in Camden Street at about 11.30am on Thursday and threatened staff to hand over money. They fled with an undisclosed amount of cash in a 07 D-registered Ford Fiesta, which was later found abandoned near Portobello Bridge."

Edit: just as I was about to post rte just released the story on their site. Better late then never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

nearyj wrote: »
    "Two men are being questioned over a bank robbery in Dublin.
    Raiders entered the Ulster Bank in Camden Street at about 11.30am on Thursday and threatened staff to hand over money. They fled with an undisclosed amount of cash in a 07 D-registered Ford Fiesta, which was later found abandoned near Portobello Bridge."

Didn't get very far!

Methinks RTE have jumped the gun and left themselves open to a libel case if these lads are'nt convicted:

"The men both aged 41 were arrested in the Rialto and Basin Street areas of Dublin.
    Both men entered the bank and threatened staff to hand over cash and drove away in an 07D Ford Fiesta car.

The car was found abandoned near Portobello Bridge a short time later.
    Investigations are continuing, to date no money has been recovered.
    The men are being held at Harcourt Terrace and Kevin Street Garda Stations."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Methinks RTE have jumped the gun and left themselves open to a libel case if these lads are'nt convicted:

"The men both aged 41 were arrested in the Rialto and Basin Street areas of Dublin.
    Both men entered the bank and threatened staff to hand over cash and drove away in an 07D Ford Fiesta car.

The car was found abandoned near Portobello Bridge a short time later.
    Investigations are continuing, to date no money has been recovered.
    The men are being held at Harcourt Terrace and Kevin Street Garda Stations."

How? No names mentioned?

Advertisement