Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress Alterations

Options
  • 06-01-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

HI there,

Does anyone know a good dressmaker in the city.

There's a dress I had an eye out for for ages & it is online now in a bi size 20.

I wonder could I perhaps buy it & have it taken in ? I am approx 14- 16..

Any idea where I could go & how much etc??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭03046290

There is a place down Sea Road (accross from the Jes).

Not sure how much it would be to have it taken in but they are VERY cheap. I think I paid €5 to get straps put on a dress before.

They are incredibly nice in there and super quick.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

mary forde dressmakers beside hickeys upstairs in corbett court,
    she is very good but not too cheap

there is also a place on abbeygate street near the new asian food shop, across from CPs

It would be no problem to buy the dress a couple of sizes bigger than what you need and have it taken in, what fabric is it? most materials will be easy to alter.

try a few places, bring the dress with you, explain exactly what you want done and get the best price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 zealano

Agreed that the place on Sea Road is very good and reasonable. I've used her to repair zips and to patch jeans so far. Urgitas is the name I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

There's a new alteration shop on the lower Eyre Square exit of the Eyre Square Centre. She's taken in a couple of suits for me and did really good work, and wasn't too expensive.

The also the Sewing Studio above Fahy Foto on High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I am also looking for recommendations for a dressmaker....

Someone you would trust with a wedding dress? I don't mind how much it costs really, but if its not done right it will be ruined so I really need personal recommendations!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

+1 for Jurgitas (sp?) on Sea Road. I've been to her twice and she is cheap and the work is good.

I don't know about wedding dress alteration, but I would try bringing it to different dressmakers and see how much they would charge and if they are willing to take it on. There's another dressmaker out near Parkmore (maybe in that Ind Est where DID Electrical is? I'm not sure) and a friend got a dress taken in there. Good job. I can find out her name if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Thank you all for your replies but alas the dress has been sold out in the large size too! Darned Littlewoods :(

I found the dress! So I might check out he girl on Sea Road so..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you're ever in this position again bear in mind:

1) Differences of more than 1 size (you're talking 2.5 sizes) can be quite difficult and even with a skilled seamstress might not always turn out great

2) The style of the dress has a lot to do with it, something with loads of tiered ruffles is just a pain in the hole and wouldn't be worth the work in most cases, but something with a 50s silhouette might not be too bad as long as the neckline isn't wide.

3) The neckline and armholes are the things to watch: wider sizes have wider necklines (and larger arm holes) and this is not so easy to fix since you can't ADD material there. It's actually really difficult to fix a neckline if it's anything other than a relatively high necked dress, actually. Again, how far off the starting size is has huge bearing on how well the altered dress will turn out.

Thanks Xiney, its mostly the top part that's to loose (lack of boobs)..
    I hope something can be done..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, good luck!

Also I forgot about strapless... those are pretty easy to deal with. It's the shoulder/armpit area that's the hardest in a dress.

Does anyone know if it works the opposite way?
    What is it like taking out a dress?

I have a fab Coast one and as I broke my ankle it's very tight on top..
    Funny that I was originally looking up information on taking in a dress ha ha.

Is Sea Road the best place to go to still?
    Somewhere easy to hop to.:rolleyes:

This is the dress?
    http://reviews.coast-stores.com/7865-en_gb/2224684980/reviews.htm?sort=rating

The crutches have made me gain muscle & boobs so the top 3 inches or so will not close..:(

Has anyone used ZipYard??

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Little My wrote: »
    I am also looking for recommendations for a dressmaker....

Someone you would trust with a wedding dress? I don't mind how much it costs really, but if its not done right it will be ruined so I really need personal recommendations!

Great repairs/alterations place in Moycullen, 5 miles from Galway city. Not too sure of the name but she repaired my wedding dress (after a dry cleaner had their evil way with it) - not even noticeable. I've heard others recommend her too. Also not expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Quote - Is Sea Road the best place to go to still?

She has moved to Liosbaun now, went there recently and she did a great job on a top for me.

Hennybug wrote: »
    Quote - Is Sea Road the best place to go to still?

She has moved to Liosbaun now, went there recently and she did a great job on a top for me.

HI,

I can't find a number for her at all.
    Can anyone help!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's a woman on St James' Road my gf swears by, don't have number or name though.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

HI,

Can anyone help!

Sorry i just popped into her so don't have a number

Has anyone used Silver Needle in Terryland?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Chibodee

I used SilverNeedle in Terryland to have my bridesmaid dress made from scratch - they were amazing! :D Gave me time to discuss exactly what I wanted and styles, etc. They also provided expert suggestions and tips so that the dress would look great on! And the finish was top notch! Couldn't reccomend them highly enough! :) Also OP I can pm you a photo of the finished dress if you wanna see the quality!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

HI,

Can anyone help!

Urgita's number is 085 <PM for this>, she's in Liosban. I used her recently and she did a great job and is reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MashaK

The dressmaker in Moycullen 08 <PM user for number>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement