Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest - Saturday 8th January - Sligo

Options
  • 06-01-2011 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

There shall be another protest outside J. Devins offices this Saturday 8th January at 12 Noon.

They're talking about the election being in March at the earliest now.

This isn't good enough. FF lost their mandate a long time ago and the people need to demonstrate that they want a general election NOW.

Hope to see at least one other Boardsie there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i hate silly pointless protests like these. no offense mate but do you think this is doing any good. find something better to do with your sat morning. the election will be whenever cowen decides to call it and not before. some silly protest out jimmy devins offce in sligo is hardly likely to change that fact. thats just my opinion protest if you want though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Shane10 wrote: »
    i hate silly pointless protests like these. no offense mate but do you think this is doing any good. find something better to do with your sat morning. the election will be whenever cowen decides to call it and not before. some silly protest out jimmy devins offce in sligo is hardly likely to change that fact. thats just my opinion protest if you want though.

No offence taken, but I think that yes maybe it is doing a l'il bit of good. I have plenty ways of filling my Saturday morning, but I personally think that this type of protest is important and I will gladly attend and so will friends of mine too, hopefully.

Our not so illustrious leader will decide to call an election for many reasons and maybe we can give him one more, albeit a small one.

I'm not even asking you or anyone to come, just letting you know that it is happening. Obviously it's up to you to go or not to go.

You've used the word silly twice and it's amazing what different people think are silly, walks, fashion, fishing, football, politics, facebook, so that isn't really saying much except that you aren't interested. Fair enough, many people are.

And yes I will protest if I want, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

What ever happened Balckiebeast's protest thing?

Will SuperJim even be there Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

it's apathetic attitudes like this that help retain the status quo & keep this current government in power. the citizens of this country should have revolted long ago.. just my opinion don't protest if you don't want to

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Agree and disagree, whilst it might not make much diffenernce just out side one local office, if it was coincided with other protests out side other local offices (for all I know it could be), then it might make a difference.

You only have to see what happened when the OAPs protested a few years ago when it was proposed to means test the medical card for them.

If FF think for one moment public reaction might be damaging or have implications for them, then they will do what ever it is to prevent that. Now calling an election might not be their answer, but am sure they will be keeping notes.

• Advertisement

How could any of these protests be made more forceful yet non violent and within the law - any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Sorry but i agree with shane - this country have been revolting for the last 5 months but its like water off a ducks back.AND ALL THE MINISTERS ARE JUMPING OFF THE DUCKS BACK
    Having a protest outside Jimmy devins office is akin to pi**ing into the wind because they did not listen to him when the hospital issue arose and it will make no difference at all.
    I am all for democracy and i want the current regime put out to grass but a bit more imagination to the protest is required.
    You might be better off spending a couple of hours outside secondary schools pointing out and giving handouts to the 12-18 year olds pointing out the wrongs that have happened and MAKING SURE THAT THE FUTURE OF IRELAND WONT LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN LIKE WE DID.

Sligored wrote: »
    Sorry but i agree with shane - this country have been revolting for the last 5 months but its like water off a ducks back.AND ALL THE MINISTERS ARE JUMPING OFF THE DUCKS BACK

rats ... ship...

Sligored wrote: »
    Having a protest outside Jimmy devins office is akin to pi**ing into the wind because they did not listen to him when the hospital issue arose and it will make no difference at all.

my thoughts exactly and why I aske how could it be made forceful but non violent and still legal?

sligopark wrote: »
    rats ... ship...

my thoughts exactly and why I asked how could it be made forceful but non violent and still legal?

Well it is entirely up to you how you protest.

The more imagination and coverage of that the better.

Don't just do nothing maybe?

It would certainly be made more forceful by the attendance of your good self, perhaps.

fair enough and attendance in numbers is the target but given how the bol' jimmy has a neck like a jockey what else would get coverage of his non standing up for his voters?

Public urination on his windows? (are there toilets nearby?) Discharge of slurry? Poorly parked vehicles with anti ff slogans? Power washing slogans onto the paths outside his office (technically cleaning)? Buckets of earth dropped off against the door to his office? Occupation of offices by a mass of people waiting in turn to tell him what a gombeen pension seeking liar he is?

• Advertisement

fair enough and attendance in numbers is the target but given how the bol' jimmy has a neck like a jockey what else would get coverage of his non standing up for his voters?

Public urination on his windows? (are there toilets nearby?) Discharge of slurry? Poorly parked vehicles with anti ff slogans? Power washing slogans onto the paths outside his office (technically cleaning)? Buckets of earth dropped off against the door to his office? Occupation of offices by a mass of people waiting in turn to tell him what a gombeen pension seeking liar he is?

No sign of Jimmy at the protest, but a decent enough turn out considering the weather.

I suppose there were a good 30-40 people there.

No unusual forms of protest were registered afaik. There wasn't not even a placard.

But it happened and there is another in Ballymote next Saturday at 12 noon to share our feelings with Scanlon.

*heads off to think of clever slogan and manufacture placard*

couldn't make this and tbh forgot - was up from 4 vomiting like something out of the exorcist - woke up at a record for me 2.45pm (and then vomited) - been in all day although feeling better - sorry - hope I am well enough to travel to work again 2mw

Whoa :eek:

Sounds nasty, hope you feel better soon. Lots of sickness going round.

And don't be apologising, no bother.

See if you can make the next one.

We have to keep it up. They have to go.

And dog only knows what's coming down the tracks...

Be well.

Thanks - better today (although had a moment at Dooney Rock where a cough turned into something else LOL)

Back to the big smoke now - Pete what ever happened to Blackiebeast's protest idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jimmy Devins announced today that he's not going to stand in the next election.

The protest must have worked!

Yeah, maybe, it would be nice to think that maybe the protests played a part in his decision alright.

But in fairness, if he hadn't twigged the vibes anyway, then he'd be a bit thick.

Now we have Mark McSharry having to run, whoopdeedoo. A somewhat Pyrrhic victory.

And Starbelgrade, you live quite close to Ballymote, maybe we'll see you outside 'The Bubble's' office this Saturday at 12 noon maybe?

As for Blackie's idea, I haven't heard from him in a while and never got the low down so still waiting too.

I'd say he got an idea of what was coming on the doorstep - I imagine people giving him what for - hopefully Eamon Scanlon will get the idea too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pete M. wrote: »

And Starbelgrade, you live quite close to Ballymote, maybe we'll see you outside 'The Bubble's' office this Saturday at 12 noon maybe?

I doubt it... I rarely get out of bed before noon of a weekend!

Good to see another Fianna Failer bite the dust.. but one thing to note - under the current terms of pay for the incoming opposition party members after the next election, the outgoing TDs from government actually stand to make more money from their Dail pensions than if they stayed with their respective parties in opposition.

Though, surely they couldn't be that cynical? Surely their principles and the good of the country are more important to them than the cash in their own pockets?

Good to see another Fianna Failer bite the dust.. but one thing to note - under the current terms of pay for the incoming opposition party members after the next election, the outgoing TDs from government actually stand to make more money from their Dail pensions than if they stayed with their respective parties in opposition.

Though, surely they couldn't be that cynical? Surely their principles and the good of the country are more important to them than the cash in their own pockets?

LOL
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

PeteM question i would like to ask who do you represent are these protests part of a political party ????????

• Advertisement

sligono1 wrote: »
    PeteM question i would like to ask who do you represent are these protests part of a political party ????????

Well I suppose I represent only myself really. But lots of people I know would also support the protests even if they don't attend.

I am not a member of any political party.

There are people who are members of various 'left' parties involved though.

But we all share the view that the current government has let us all down badly and that there should be a general election as soon as possible.

We are trying to facilitate people out there who feel like protesting.

AFAIK everybody involved would support the United Left Alliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Anyone turn up for your protest in Ballyremote today?

There were around 12 people there, not great but it still happened.

Declan Bree and Michael Clarke both participated.

The office is down the end of the street away from the centre of Ballymote.

And there were no placards or banners

Didn't got it together in time.

Anyhoo, we shall continue with these protests and intend to have another in Manorhamilton in three weeks time outside Eamon Scanlon's office there in the town.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Declan Bree and Michael Clarke both participated.

your protest was taken over - almost 20% were potential candidates in the next election PeteM

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Is it just me or is there not some irony that Michael Clarke was protesting at a FF office accusing FF of economic treason?

Nothing againest whats being accused just the person doing the accusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Saw this on Sligo Today
    1295250700.jpg

10 people at a protest, whoa what a turn out. Which one are you OP?

bobcar61 wrote: »
    10 people at a protest, whoa what a turn out. Which one are you OP?

Thanks for the support :rolleyes:

And maybe I took the photo, that'd be eleven :P

Your derision suggests support for Eamon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I am completely impartial to the politics in Ireland, I'm not living there at the moment so I won't even be voting.

your protest was taken over - almost 20% were potential candidates in the next election PeteM

25% if you count me:D

Not that you should. But I did think about it and today was told that I should concentrate less on policy and manifestos and just try to develop a contemporary version of this.....

serious.jpg

The fcuking state of him...........

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I am completely impartial to the politics in Ireland, I'm not living there at the moment so I won't even be voting.

Fair enough. But he did 'regain' the party whip (whatever the hell that really means...:eek:) last week.

The same whip he originally lost as a result of his protest against the removal of cancer services in Sligo General.
    So therefore it can only be taken that this protest is over and he doesn't give a sh1t anymore about this issue.
    It's over for him and he has a general election to look forward to.

So therefore I think, and so do at least 9 or 10 other people, that to protest outside his office is the right thing to do.

Call me a head banger if you will........
    :pac:

Advertisement