Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of building a 4 bed?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Any idea how much it would cost to build a 4 bed house circa 127m2 and kit it out etc.? Interested in a site for sale that has fpp for such a house, but couldn't realistically buy site until we knew how much build would cost, we wouldn't be able to anything ourselves, so would need a builder / project manager who would do it start to finish.

Site is in Dublin North if thats a factor.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Expect to pay between 1500-2000 €/m2 depending on spec

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MC21

ok thats a really good guideline, thanks. So €250K would be a reasonable assumption then. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

MC21 wrote: »
    ok thats a really good guideline, thanks. So €250K would be a reasonable assumption then. Thanks for that.

Seems a bit too much IMHO, about 1000 sq m builders finish

Its the finishes that could really bring up prices but that depends on needs, eg things like mhrv,stove,marble,solid floors etc

Also site works could be significant cost people might not think of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I was talking turnkey , Dublin . As I say spec is key - e.g. for floor finishes materials only can vary from €30 to €100+ /m2.

Thank you again for the replies, I like to know the absolute max to make sure I can afford it and then if it works out less than that, happy days. I will be bargaining and negotiating, don't worry ! I would like a fairly decent finish so its good to know if thats affordable too.

What site work would you mean ei.sdraob?

Thanks again, its all really helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭observer2u

€1500 - €2000 is bang on and if your talking furniture kitchens etc. it will be on the higher end of that scale.

I would love to see these houses that are getting built for 1000 per m2. I'd definitely like to see them in 5 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

observer2u wrote: »
    €1500 - €2000 is bang on and if your talking furniture kitchens etc. it will be on the higher end of that scale.

I would love to see these houses that are getting built for 1000 per m2. I'd definitely like to see them in 5 years

at 1500 -2000 ,m2 what is market value of completed house ?, are you building into negative equity , i can only speak for area i know but you would defiantly buy cheaper than new build now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

sinnerboy wrote: »
    I was talking turnkey , Dublin . As I say spec is key - e.g. for floor finishes materials only can vary from €30 to €100+ /m2.

of course, the question is a how long a peace of string is :)
    even "builders finish" definition varies

costs could vary wildly especially based on taste, something as often overlooked as stairs could come up as much as 6K with oak/glass etc or much less if precast
    groundworks is something that alot of people dont plan for either but could be large depending on site conditions too, example site needing levelling with a lot of rock underneath requiring a rock-breaker
    and then there's kitchens and don't get me started on marble flooring!

i could go on and on, so the question the OP should be asking is how to complete it to builders finish and then how much are they willing to spend on finishes

MC21 wrote: »
    What site work would you mean ei.sdraob?
    basically everything on the outside of the house and within the site.

things like driveway and paving,
    putting in cables/pipes deep trenches (important with the cold!) & where do ESB and telecoms come in
    waste treatment plant and a hole for one,
    proper drainage,
    boundary walls,
    levelling the site,
    garage,
    heating and pipes,
    outside lightning,
    gates

thats just few top of my head, of course some site might not need these some might and so on, thats before even getting into planting things that might be required under a planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭bigmanhole

I would say use €1,500/m2 as a guide but consult a good QS if your serious about bidding on a site.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have seen costs for North Co Dublin in recent times, supplied to me by a QS. Finished costs were €1059 per m2 - see attached sheet. Note (important) all prices INCLUDE VAT.

Note: this is a high spec. If you were to adjust, or strip out certain things, it would obviously be even lower.

As with all things, YMMV and all that.....caveat emptor.......veni vidi vici........et tu Brute.........andiamo.........due cappucine por favore.........:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for all the really useful and helpful information.

Advertisement