Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

• 06-01-2011 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

Manchester-United-icon.png v Liverpool-FC-icon.png
    eonLogo_468x244.jpg

FA CUP 3rd Round:

Manchester United:
    Injuries/ Injury Worries: Rooney (Ankle), Ferdinand (?), van Der Sar (?), Scholes(Groin), O'Shea (Calf),

Long Term: Valencia (Broken Foot), Hargreaves (Hamstring)

Fergie has said that VDS, Rooney and Ferdinand are doubts.

My predicted team:

VDS/Lindegaard

Rafael--Vidic--Ferdinand/Smalling---Evra

Nani---Fletcher----Carrick
    Obertan

Berbatov
    Rooney/Hernandez--

Liverpool:
    Injuries/Injury Worries: Raul Merieles (Ankle/Foot), Spearing (Foot)

Long Term: Carragher (Shoulder)

My Predicted Team (wild guess):

Reina

Johnson--Kyrgiakos--Skrtel---Konchesky

Kuyt
    Gerrard----Lucas----Cole

Torres
    N'gog

I think United are going too strong for Liverpool although saying that the FA Cup throws away the form book.

Still I'll go for a 2-1 Home win - (Berbatov, Nani) (Gerrard)

Betting:
    Man Utd 8/13 -- Draw 14/5 -- Liverpool 9/2

First Goal:
    W Rooney 4/1
    D Berbatov 4/1
    J Hernandez 9/2
    M Owen 11/2
    Nani 6/1
    G Obertan 8/1
    Bebe 9/1
    R Giggs 9/1
    --

F Torres 13/2
    D N'Gog 10/1
    S Gerrard 10/1
    J Cole 12/1
    N Eccleston 12/1
    D Kuyt 12/1
    Maxi Rodriguez 14/1
    R Babel 14/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

A United win but it won't be easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I'm looking forward to Raf and Nani destroying Cole and Konchesky. Still, is this thread not a little early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

thread lacking obligatory image to start/prewarn.....

train_wreck.jpg

this will be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Will United play their full team? Magic of the cup :rolleyes: and a Liverpool surprise win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,465 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

dsmythy wrote: »
    Will United play their full team? Magic of the cup :rolleyes: and a Liverpool surprise win.

based on the fact we rested a players in midweek - i would say it is quite likely that United will play a very strong team at least. Don't see it being a stereotypical 'Carling Cup' team.

As for the result, I honestly don't know. On form, United should win this easily, but you can never really tell what will happen in games like this. Liverpool have nothing to lose really.

If Roy is still in charge people will expect them to lose.
    If Roy is gone, people will still expect them to lose as there will be not enough time for people to have the expectation that a caretaker manager could have fixed all that was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

No matter how many Danny Murphy winners and 1-4 wins before or ever after, I cannot still get over this game.

Never a foul by Redknapp

*refuses to watch* :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

2-1 Utd, Owen to score the winner and run the length of the pitch Adebayor-style...and pull his hamstring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think United are going too strong for Liverpool although saying that the FA Cup throws away the form book.

I'm sure Liverpool fans will be glad to read this. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

utd to win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

United 3-0.

This thread is up far too early btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

smokedeels wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Raf and Nani destroying Cole and Konchesky. Still, is this thread not a little early?

Nonsense, this thread has the potential to be epic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United 2-1.

if Hodgson is still in charge united should win by 4 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Utd walkover please!

mike65 wrote: »
    Utd walkover please!

What??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am glad I will not be on duty for this one.

Dub13 wrote: »

:D

rarnes1 wrote: »
    What??

You heard! **** this game if Hodgson is still at the helm. Even if he isn't its still a distraction in which case I'll go for a narrow defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

"You are getting sacked in morning" chants to come from Liverpool fans, again, if they get beat to United, just like last night.

You heard! **** this game if Hodgson is still at the helm. Even if he isn't its still a distraction in which case I'll go for a narrow defeat.

Do you actually want your team to lose? I know it's an FA Cup game but I'd have to question your "support" to your team if you're hoping they'll lose.

• Advertisement

You can't be hoping for a defeat especially against united. Can't see anything other than one though if the trainwreck s still in charge.

The FA cup is bottom of our priorities tbf.

That_Guy you can question my parentage if you like, its a long lousy season and the % call is to forget everything other than the league and the EL (until/unless that becomes a drain on resorces)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool are 9/2 to win??

definitely worth €20

That_Guy you can question my parentage if you like, its a long lousy season and the % call is to forget everything other than the league and the EL (until/unless that becomes a drain on resorces)

Our main goal this year is to stay up. That said, I'll gladly support my team in whatever competition we're in. I can't understand why you wouldn't do the same? Are you honestly gonna tell me that you'll be pissed off if you beat Man United on Sunday?

If you want Roy out then fine but you should be at least getting behind the team.
    slingerz wrote: »

definitely worth €20

May as well just take that 20 and burn it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

slingerz wrote: »

definitely worth €20

Id prefer to fold that 20 into a paper boat and sail it down the Mersey.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think if United do thrash Liverpool, it won't be that big a thread...it's only if Howard Webb is referee and the game is tight, decided late on....again.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Id prefer to fold that 20 into a paper boat and sail it down the Mersey.

Unconfirmed reports that Hodgson might be sacked. A new manager in and this game might resemble a contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭secman

As a united fan, I know that irrespect of who is in charge of Pool, or how bad they are currently playing , they WILL RAISE their game against united, I am for one expecting a tough match.

Secman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Give Roy a break. Every thread I go on you guys are talking about him getting sacked. It's not his fault he got the job. He is trying his best with a poor set of players who finished 7th last year.

Man Utd 1-2 Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

This match should be closer than a lot of people expect. There certainly wont be any thrashings here. Will be a close contest and Liverpool will raise their game and play for the shirt ,even if it seems like they arent playing for the manager. The match yesterday should have no bearing on this contest. Form goes out the window in Derby matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Unconfirmed reports that Hodgson might be sacked. A new manager in and this game might resemble a contest.

Im aware of that, but I have a duty as a united fan to wind up Liverpool fans at every opportunity :P

Obviously deep down Im scared sh*tless that Liverpool will up their game tenfold against us on Sunday and beat us which is highly possible due to the nature of both United v Liverpool and the FA cup.

That said, I really don't think theres enough time before Sunday to sack Roy and find a suitable replacement, should he be sacked Pool will probably be in the hands of a caretaker manager (Hopefully not 'King Kenny').

Im staying optimistic for this one but deep down all United fans have that same sinking feeling that Pool will shock us again and cling on to their victory against United in the FA cup for the rest of the season despite winning shag all else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Give Roy a break. Every thread I go on you guys are talking about him getting sacked. It's not his fault he got the job. He is trying his best with a poor set of players who finished 7th last year.

Man Utd 1-2 Liverpool

Then why you think "a poor set of players" will beat the league leaders :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DH2K9 wrote:

Man Utd 1-2 Liverpool

I agree with everything you say except your prediction. I do expect United to win but history suggests anything could happen seeing as Leeds knocked United out at Old Trafford last season and Pompey did likewise two years prior to that. I also seem to recall everything looked to be going fantastic for United ahead of the 4-1 defeat to Liverpool so I don't think this result is a foregone conclusion by any means. Will say United to win it but for there to be a few hairy moments. I'd feel more confident if Park was around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

United to win comfortably and Liverpool fans to claim they didn't give a sh1t anyway :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That_Guy wrote: »
    Do you actually want your team to lose? I know it's an FA Cup game but I'd have to question your "support" to your team if you're hoping they'll lose.

The only reason I don't want to lose is because it's United, but anyone else and I would. Once it's not a draw I don't really care.. We have a thin enough squad and we're already in the Europa League. Last thing I want is another cup run to distract us from our relegation battle.

• Advertisement

Wanting your team to lose makes a mockery of a person's claim to be a supporter. In fact, it vindicates Hodgson's comments recently where he implored fans to behave like supporters:
    "I have to hope the fans will become supporters because we need support. We are not deliberately losing games."

I listened to a chap from the Liverpool area on Sky Sports News earlier who said the fans needed to 'stop expecting miracles this season' and start supporting the team. How right he was I thought, and how his views contrasted hugely with many of the Liverpool 'faithful' on Boards. I note also that more and more former Liverpool legends are coming out in support of Hodgson. Rush, Keegan, Barnes etc.

Again this is in stark contrast to many Liverpool supporters on this board (not all but many), who are nestled safely in their blissful cocoon of ignorance, more interested in seeing a good man fail than actually getting behind the team they claim to follow. Why not grow up and stop thinking you have a divine right to win based on what was done in the past. History is bunk.

The irony is that these 'followers' (more trend followers than team followers if you ask me) claim that Hodgson has lost credibility when in fact it is rather their own claims to have Liverpool's best interests at heart which have lost credibility.

Hodgson will no doubt be sacked in due course but the man will come out of it with his dignity in tact whereas the same cannot be said for the lynch mob. No doubt this will go over many heads and will be met with either rolleyes smilies, some stupid internet slang phrase, maybe a picture of a cat, anything to avoid dealing with the real issue - the trumped up players just haven't pulled their weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

1990, Utd 15th in the table and Mark robbins saves Fergies job. surely not ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Credit to some RAWK poster for this, he sees the future

kennyv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Woy, is that you? :eek:

Wanting your team to lose makes a mockery of a person's claim to be a supporter. In fact, it vindicates Hodgson's comments recently where he implored fans to behave like supporters:

I listened to a chap from the Liverpool area on Sky Sports News earlier who said the fans needed to 'stop expecting miracles this season' and start supporting the team. How right he was I thought, and how his views contrasted hugely with many of the Liverpool 'faithful' on Boards. I note also that more and more former Liverpool legends are coming out in support of Hodgson. Rush, Keegan, Barnes etc.

Again this is in stark contrast to many Liverpool supporters on this board (not all but many), who are nestled safely in their blissful cocoon of ignorance, more interested in seeing a good man fail than actually getting behind the team they claim to follow. Why not grow up and stop thinking you have a divine right to win based on what was done in the past. History is bunk.

The irony is that these 'followers' (more trend followers than team followers if you ask me) claim that Hodgson has lost credibility when in fact it is rather their own claims to have Liverpool's best interests at heart which have lost credibility.

Hodgson will no doubt be sacked in due course but the man will come out of it with his dignity in tact whereas the same cannot be said for the lynch mob. No doubt this will go over many heads and will be met with either rolleyes smilies, some stupid internet slang phrase, maybe a picture of a cat, anything to avoid dealing with the real issue - the trumped up players just haven't pulled their weight.

lol, what a load of deluded ****e. Your last paragraph is the icing on cake though, talking about stuff going over peoples. Pot Kettle black spring to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

RasTa wrote: »

And then they have to go and balance it out...

scousersd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

And then they have to go and balance it out...

scousersd.jpg

Every club has idiot fans. tbf he got banned straight away. Guy is clearly mentally inept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

smokedeels wrote: »
    Then why you think "a poor set of players" will beat the league leaders :confused:
    I agree with everything you say except your prediction. I do expect United to win but history suggests anything could happen seeing as Leeds knocked United out at Old Trafford last season and Pompey did likewise two years prior to that. I also seem to recall everything looked to be going fantastic for United ahead of the 4-1 defeat to Liverpool so I don't think this result is a foregone conclusion by any means. Will say United to win it but for there to be a few hairy moments. I'd feel more confident if Park was around.

I think Liverpool will win because it's the FA Cup. Simple.

lol, what a load of deluded ****e. Your last paragraph is the icing on cake though, talking about stuff going over peoples. Pot Kettle black spring to mind.

My last paragraph summed up exactly how I'd knew you'd respond. Not interested in engagement whatsoever. It's just a bandwagon of unthinking, unyielding, hysterical nonsense. The post highlighted from the other site referencing Hillsborough is typical of the kind of cringeworthy guff that is spewing out on various sites on the internet, including this one, and is a consequence of this vitriolic hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

RasTa wrote: »

kennyv.jpg

Jesus will ye ever learn?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Every club has idiot fans. tbf he got banned straight away. Guy is clearly mentally inept.

Yeah, sure you can see it's locked there after one post. Just needed to balance out the good work in the other image.:)

My last paragraph summed up exactly how I'd knew you'd respond. Not interested in engagement whatsoever. It's just a bandwagon of unthinking, unyielding, hysterical nonsense. The post highlighted from the other site referencing Hillsborough is typical of the kind of cringeworthy guff that is spewing out on various sites on the internet, including this one, and is a consequence of this vitriolic hysteria.

The fact you'd use that post as some kind of evidence sums you up. Here's a deal, you find me a post, from anywhere, that says we have a divine right to win and I'll reply seriously. Others I won't waste my time as it seems clear from your posts you have no clue what your are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Yeah, sure you can see it's locked there after one post. Just needed to balance out the good work in the other image.:)

Just a pitty they forgot to change the date at the top ;)

The fact you'd use that post as some kind of evidence sums you up. Here's a deal, you find me a post, from anywhere, that says we have a divine right to win and I'll reply seriously. Others I won't waste my time as it seems clear from your posts you have no clue what your are talking about.

I'm not going to bring up other people's posts into our discussion but you know there are plenty availalble along the lines of 'We should not be losing to so and so', 'last year we were...' (last year is irrelevant to the current situation).

As for having no clue what I'm talking about, I'm not the one wanting the team I support to lose.

I'm not going to bring up other people's posts into our discussion but you know there are plenty availalble along the lines of 'We should not be losing to so and so', 'last year we were...' (last year is irrelevant to the current situation).

As for having no clue what I'm talking about, I'm not the one wanting the team I support to lose.

Last year irrelevant? :pac: Shame they didn't tell Rafa that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement