Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Allardyce is excellent as an analyst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Big sam's analysis is actually pretty good I have to say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Woj is at is again...

Theo apologised yesterday. Wonder if Berbatov is going to apologise today... less than a minute ago via Twitter for iPad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ntlbell wrote: »
    If it's true that kenny arrived back from holidays or whereever he was untill yesterday. how the hell are putting the performance down to kenny if he hasn't even taken a training session??

bizzare.

Its more the removal of Roys tactics and selection than Kenny implementing some miracle cure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Would you ever cop on, a discusting tackle? It was an honest passionate tackle. But when the ref supports united you can't win, it's the same crap everytime he refs united v Liverpool the man is a disgrace.

You don't go into an "honest" tackle with two feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Tusky wrote: »
    It was a definite dive. Barely any contact - but Agger shouldnt have stuck his leg out. Terrible defending.

I'm surprised by the reaction to the tackle on here, I'll have to look at it again but it looked more like a yellow to me. Could be wrong though.
    Two footed, both feet off the ground.....red card.....same rules for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Positives though for Liverpool fans. I've seen you play an awful lot this season and the change in attitude is refreshing. Some nice passes being played about.

Crossing is dreadful though and Torres doesn't look interested at all. His body language does not give out any signs of inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

mixed up wrote: »
    It was definately not a penalty that clown berbatov dived.I was impressed with how liverpool were playing i taught they were getting on top of utd then the ref decided to send off gerrard when it should of been yellow.I can't believe it another ref bottling it at old trafford, some things never change.

how the fook is a two footed studs up challenge bottling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Would you ever cop on, a discusting tackle? It was an honest passionate tackle. But when the ref supports united you can't win, it's the same crap everytime he refs united v Liverpool the man is a disgrace.

Passionate?
    2 footed and off the ground =/= passionate.
    Diggy78 wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd recognise most of the pool fand usernames on here from the superthread and 99% of them have said it was a definite red, there'll always be a few, you know that.

Think the leg breaking thing is a bit over the top. I know well it was a straight red but it wasn't like one of those head on, straight over the top of the ball lunges. A minor point admittedly but it's far less likely, imo, to be a legbreaker when side on. Could well be wrong on that.

Yeah, the majority are being unbiased, but there are a couple trying to argue the case, which is plain idiotic, imo.

It wouldn't have broken his leg, but very possibly his ankle, which is what TP was hoping for according to his post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,711 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tusky wrote: »
    It was a definite dive. Barely any contact - but Agger shouldnt have stuck his leg out. Terrible defending.

I'm surprised by the reaction to the tackle on here, I'll have to look at it again but it looked more like a yellow to me. Could be wrong though.

Well if De Jong only got a yellow for that Karate kick on Alonso, cant see Gerrards as any more dangerous myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Very easy penalty, but a definite red card. Liverpool don't look too bad, but Utd don't look particularly good either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

definite red card, but if that is all the contact you need for a peno there should be one every time there's a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Good point about Gerrard being pissed off with Meireles and then making the tackle. Makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Thought it was a red but not a penalty.

As for the red, I don't see how anyone can't think that it's a red. Daglish's reaction says it all. Went off his feet, two footed, into the tackle, lunging. Always going to be a red from a red with any balls, and Webb, you can say what you want about him, but he backs up his view of the incident with actions.

As for the penalty. Berbatov clearly fell after he had been knocked.

The part of the rules that I still don't understand is that if he had been weak, and fallen down on the first knick, would it have been a penalty. If so, does he need to fall over to get a free for the first one? Is it not a free no matter what, i.e. Agger didn't get the ball but got the player, or does it need to be enough to actually impede him. If so, doesnt that mean the rules are dependent on how strong a player is?

Overall, United have been average. It's all they've had to be. I thought Liverpool were playing relatively well, and think that Gerrard should bloody know better, he's an old man now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hey It's good to see some of the Pool Fan's blaming the Ref instead of their own Manager, Welcome back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cue many Gerrard "last 15 minute related postings"........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

BERBA wrote: »
    charming vocabulary used above by the way.
    true...but he has a point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

article-1278969157259-0A67CA02000005DC-707537_636x363.jpg

mr webb says this a yellow, so red a little harsh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Not a penalty. Stupid from Gerrard. Better from Liverpool though, United going through the motions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

noodler wrote: »
    Rather honest apprisal from Big Sam - surprised.

he's done well so far.

*goes to wash my mouth out*

i can't explain the difference in performance. logically, Kenny only had a few conversations with the team, as he said before the game.

that surely can't bring about the change in style.

but something's happened, because we're looking to keep the ball. which we rarely ever, ever did under Roy.

so something has changed. whether the players have taken it upon themselves, whether Kenny's words were that good, or maybe the coaches Roy left behind did a wonderful job, i don't know.

but it seems to have changed.

as i've said already, the true test is in the consistency from week to week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

mike65 wrote: »
    Howard Webb 1 - 0 Liverpool

Gotta laugh at the Liverpool fans holding Webb responsible for the scoreline.

What about the next 43 minutes of muck Liverpool displayed? A good team will respond to a bad refereeing decision, put pressure on the opposing team to get one back. Not Liverpool.

And there should be no argument about the sending off. Decision was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

BERBA wrote: »
    didnt think this match thread was soley for utd and liverpool supporters:confused:

charming vocabulary used above by the way.

No it's not, but unless you have actual points to make rather than sounding like a child, you'll still come across as a f*cking retard, no matter who you support!!

Edit Actually, what the f*ck?? Spurs are playing right now???? You, my friend, are even more pathetic than i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's done well so far.

*goes to wash my mouth out*

i can't explain the difference in performance. logically, Kenny only had a few conversations with the team, as he said before the game.

that surely can't bring about the change in style.

but something's happened, because we're looking to keep the ball. which we rarely ever, ever did under Roy.

so something has changed. whether the players have taken it upon themselves, whether Kenny's words were that good, or maybe the coaches Roy left behind did a wonderful job, i don't know.

but it seems to have changed.

as i've said already, the true test is in the consistency from week to week.

It's called new manager syndrome. It happens pretty much always. The question is whether the new manager can maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ntlbell wrote: »
    If it's true that kenny arrived back from holidays or whereever he was untill yesterday. how the hell are putting the performance down to kenny if he hasn't even taken a training session??

bizzare.
    Because he's Kenny Dalglish! Read around, anything other than relegation and the Liverpool fans will be happy with him, he can do no wrong.
    Just seen the replay. It's a nailed on penalty. Definite contact.

Wouldn't be too many corners or crosses that didn't result in penalties if that's the case.

two terrible decisions especially the pen. The linesman who was closer didnt even flag for it.

Berbatov dived, pure and simple.

Gerrard's was harsh but I'd seen them given tbf.

I've also seen far worse not punished with a red.

Webb is a poor poor ref, you always feel there will be a controversial decision in games he's involved in. And yet he always gets the big games. Says a lot about the standard. The sooner video replays come in the better tbh.

United should wrap this up handy barring a miracle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IvySlayer wrote: »
    2 footed = a sending off. .

Why was Rafael not sent off then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

quarryman wrote: »

What about the next 43 minutes of muck Liverpool displayed? A good team will respond to a bad refereeing decision, put pressure on the opposing team to get one back. Not Liverpool.

Liverpool were on top for a good 20 minutes after the goal, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

That_Guy wrote: »
    Positives though for Liverpool fans. I've seen you play an awful lot this season and the change in attitude is refreshing. Some nice passes being played about.

Crossing is dreadful though and Torres doesn't look interested at all. His body language does not give out any signs of inspiration.
    It's all in the head ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

All is still not lost for Liverpool for me, would obviously be in a better position but Gerrard let them down. United have not really had too many chances, certainly from open play anyways.
    I bet Liverpool fans will be hoping Johnsons other half has more kids soon, though Kelly has been very good so far.
    Another cliche but the next goal is crucial, but Torres really needs to step up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Won't get into Webb's decisions, all I'll say is that we were playing infinitely better ball before the red than we ever did under Roy. Whatever happens in the next 45 mins, I've seen enough to have confidence in Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,363 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

rarnes1 wrote: »
    two terrible decisions especially the pen.

Gerrard's was harsh but I'd seen them given tbf.

Gerrards tackle was harsh not the red card !

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭mixed up

quarryman wrote: »

I have to admit you really are a clown it was not a penalty and liverpool were on top until gerrard got sent off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Old Giggs is back!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Is anderson on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

amacachi wrote:
    Wouldn't be too many corners or crosses that didn't result in penalties if that's the case.

True but the refs seem scared to deal with the chaos that goes on in the box. I think Berbatov made the most of it but if you stick your leg out in the box and catch a player you are asking for trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

SlickRic wrote: »
    true.

one big decision he got correct, one, IMO he got wrong, but it's debatable considering Agger was stupid enough to put his leg there.

i don't believe there was enough contact for Berba to go down.

There doesn't have to be , there is no set level of contact that makes it a peno. The player is under no onligation to stay on his feet once any contact is made.

No maybe there's grounds to argue that that's a stupid rule but thats another argument all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Domo-kun wrote: »
    Why was Rafael not sent off then? :confused:

Did he tackle with studs showing? NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

Awful challenge by Gerrard,fair enough decision by the ref imo,bad decision on the peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

amacachi wrote: »

So how do you define a foul?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

I have seen under12 teams in the local park play more attractive football than Liverpool today.

Dear god.

Howard Webb got the red card spot on. If it was Carrick who did it the Liverpool massive would be calling it a red.

Long ball up to Torres. Long ball up to Torres. Do ye have any other tactic. Dear god , what a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Well played Rafael, shuddup Beglin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Unlucky Chico
    Great work overall

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

So close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Did he tackle with studs showing? NO.

I suggest you look at the tackle again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

So close from Chico there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

doc_17 wrote: »
    2 big decisions and both went uniteds way. Games over

Pretty much. Nothing we haven't all seen before really. Torres could also be sent off by the end at this rate too.

So safe is this at 1-0, that were Liverpool to get a draw, I'd use a Bohs badge in a signature.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Merielles needs to start getting stuck in... he pulls out of a lot of tackles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Giggs mustve called Chico names..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Rafael bunny-hopped and won the ball cleanly. No card.

Gerrard lunged and made dangerous contact with an opponent. Red card.

Simples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Christ, that was close.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement