Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Really? We didn't get footballing nirvana today.

Really? Were united playing liverpool in the CL final today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Really? Were united playing liverpool in the CL final today?

Same two teams so what difference would it make what competition it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

adox wrote: »
    Did you miss the result? :P

Nope i seen a very soft pen decsion win the game for a team who had a player advantage for over an hour and unable to score again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Although Kenny has a big task at Liverpool, i feel if they gave a team a good thumping 4 or 5 nil and Torres was to bang in a few confidence would return, and with that results will get better. He does need to dip into the transfer market though, midfield needs a bit more bite to it and a good solid centre half. I as a Man U supporter want to see Liverpool in the mix it makes for a better league and way better banter and rivalry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Martin kelly MOTM , lol @ berba getting it, musta got it for his dive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Really? We didn't get footballing nirvana today.

obviously it was a crap match. knock out stages of the FA cup compared to a CL final would be slightly different circumstances would you agree. anyway it was just a fixture i always wanted to see . probably wont for god knows how long now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

The FA Cup is famous for giving us shocks, thats why im goin for a 1-0 win for united , united winning by only 1 goal would be massive shock:)

See told ye a shock was on the cards:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Nope i seen a very soft pen decsion win the game for a team who had a player advantage for over an hour and unable to score again

Correct it was never a peno, but United to be fair were never under any real pressure and just didn't turn the screw a bit more. Reina made some good saves and Evans had one come off the post. On another day that could have been 3 or 4 nil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

almanu wrote: »
    obviously it was a crap match. knock out stages of the FA cup compared to a CL final would be slightly different circumstances would you agree. anyway it was just a fixture i always wanted to see . probably wont for god knows how long now.

I just disagree with the people who assume that united v liverpool is the game that everybody wants to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One racist post, one offensive post and forty-eight quoting and debating posts deleted until the local mods get here. Cheers for that lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Divorce Referendum

Why did they need to score again?. 1-0 is a win ya?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sparks wrote: »
    One racist post, one offensive post and forty-eight quoting and debating posts deleted until the local mods get here. Cheers for that lads...

Feel for ya man.
    The BS that goes on here is legendary on other message boards and is why i and many more dont bother posting here anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

I just disagree with the people who assume that united v liverpool is the game that everybody wants to see.
    i understand , but as a united fan its a fixture id love to see , knocking them right off there perch and all that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I saw a debatable penalty, a player going over the top in a tackle and getting a deserved red and a team comfortably passing the ball around and seeing out the game without much effort

efb wrote: »
    That penalty has really made me despise football.

What would Berba do if he came up against Paul Galvin or Paul O'Connell...

By the letter of the law its a penalty, but not by the spirit of it.

I might as well watch Dancing on Ice, at least Katonia will get stuck in!!!

I bet you dont despise football when decisions like that go for your team

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nice wan :)

Rafael MOTM for me -- terrific performance

Kelly was pretty good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It happens in a lot of games and nothing happens refs are not going to change that mid season

I know but by the letter of the law it's a foul and should be a penalty. Same goes for Agger clipping Berbatov's ankle in the box. Neither is Webb's fault in fairness to the guy. Liverpool fans are entitled to blame Agger for stupidly taking a chance in the box, and if they want to they can blame Berbatov for making the most of it, but why blame Webb for simply doing his job correctly?

Are we supposed to believe referees like Webb ought to view some fouls as acceptable simply because they take place in the box, or do we want a game where fouls in the box are penalised just like they are outside the box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

My main hope is that Dalglish's eyesight remains as good for the remainder of the season as it was today, when, and not if Gerard or Torrres take a tumble under a soft challenge.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Three one up at Goodison in injury time and the game finished three all.

Two nil up against West Brom at Old Trafford and the game finished two all.

Away at Fulham. You even let us back into the league match when we should never have been.

You's are top of the league and deservedly so. All i'm saying is, you's can be got at, That's all

Whats your point, every team in the world can be got at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Enjoyed that. Utd did what they had to. Liverpool missed Torres today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Enjoyed that. Utd did what they had to. Liverpool missed Torres today.

As they have most of the season, amongst others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know but by the letter of the law it's a foul and should be a penalty. Same goes for Agger clipping Berbatov's ankle in the box. Neither is Webb's fault in fairness to the guy. Liverpool fans are entitled to blame Agger for stupidly taking a chance in the box, and if they want to they can blame Berbatov for making the most of it, but why blame Webb for simply doing his job correctly?

Are we supposed to believe referees like Webb ought to view some fouls as acceptable simply because they take place in the box, or do we want a game where fouls in the box are penalised just like they are outside the box?

You can blame Webb as his assistant who had a better view of it did not give it and they play by the same rules.

You also have to remember this is the same ref who told Blackpool players that they were too honest in the box and should go down more to get pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I thought Reina did really well today, must have made 5 saves in 30 seconds.

Same two teams so what difference would it make what competition it was.

That's a joke Right? You're not actually comparing the CL final to the fa cup 3rd round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Sparks wrote: »

Did you miss the sexist one? I was mortified.

Anyway, Good to see you earned your wages today.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    That's a joke Right? You're not actually comparing the CL final to the fa cup 3rd round?
    Both teams hate each other. It doesn't matter what competition its in the fans would expect the same level of commitment anytime those two teams meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Disgraceful display form the ref but that was to be expected given his track record againest us.

Overall very very happy with the perfromance from the lads, Torres aside. Delighted to see the King back at the helm almost surreal. onward and upward redmen.:)

eagle eye wrote: »
    Both teams hate each other. It doesn't matter what competition its in the fans would expect the same level of commitment anytime those two teams meet.

I didn't disagree with That, but johnny evans won't be playing in the CL final when we're there in may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

After being reduced to 10 men after 30 minutes. Before which Liverpool were on top.

Could have swore we were one nil up at that stage.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Mister men wrote: »
    Disgraceful display form the ref but that was to be expected given his track record againest us.

Overall very very happy with the perfromance from the lads, Torres aside. Delighted to see the King back at the helm almost surreal. onward and upward redmen.:)
    I thought web did well today the penalty is an obvious contentious decision but I can see why it was given for the rest of the game I don't think he made any mistakes I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

The Muppet wrote: »
    Could have swore we were one nil up at that stage.:D

After a very dubious penalty award. Look good luck to United, won the game, pretty comfortably against 10 men for the last hour. If your happy with the quality of the United performance great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

my honest opinion

Rafael was very good
    Stevie G two footed diving in and late = red
    I've seen alot worse red cards though
    It was a penalty, and United werent going to get another after the ref gave that and sent him off

Liverpool played well, and could have easily got a draw
    Torres, its a shame he's in such poor from
    I fancy pool to kick on from this though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Nah. It wasn't a disgraceful display. He arguably got one decision wrong, there was contact, player went down very easy but it's very tough for a ref to call, it would have looked like a peno to him. Apart from that what did he get wrong? Johnny evans should have had a peno alright, he got that wrong.

Can't blame the ref today it didn't just come down to one decision in the first minute ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

deisedevil wrote: »
    Nah. It wasn't a disgraceful display. He arguably got one decision wrong, there was contact, player went down very easy but it's very tough for a ref to call, it would have looked like a peno to him. Apart from that what did he get wrong? Johnny evans should have had a peno alright, he got that wrong.

Can't blame the ref today it didn't just come down to one decision in the first minute ffs.

Well it did really, it finished 1 nil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Howard Webb MOTM.

Was all over the pitch, had the assist for United's goal. Bossed midfield, such was his influence you'd think Gerrard wasn't even on the pitch. Was a danger with every set piece of the match and was only let down by his team mates to keep the score @ 1-0
    howardwebb.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Howard Webb MOTM.

Was all over the pitch, had the assist for United's goal. Bossed midfield, such was his influence you'd think Gerrard wasn't even on the pitch. Was a danger with every set piece of the match and was only let down by his team mates to keep the score @ 1-0
    howardwebb.jpg
    I have to say your posting is possibly the most biased I have ever seen Gerrard deserved to go there is no denying that

Howard Webb MOTM.

howardwebb.jpg
    You'd seem alot less bitter if you'd instead blame this man for leaving yous a man down for most of the match:

steven_gerrard_free_desktop_hd_photoshoot_pics_desktop_pictures_pic_wallpaper_high_quality_picture_hq_picture_hq_photo_image_picture_14.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I bet you dont despise football when decisions like that go for your team

No,

I was annoyed at the soft peno for arsenal yesterday. I needed a draw like a hole in the head. At least Theo admitted he went down easy.

I fairly despised some of the fans I experienced at the emarites though, such racism, sexism and homophobia.

Football played well is wonderful, cynical football makes me reach for the remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Howard Webb MOTM.

howardwebb.jpg

MOTM was King Kenny saying it wasnt a spotter , berb was tripped and gerrard 2 feet left the floor. 2 decisions Webb got spot on.

• Advertisement

Howard Webb MOTM.

howardwebb.jpg

Please don't ever stop posting.

Your ridiculous bias and lolworthy posts make this place fun to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

BERBA wrote: »
    MOTM was King Kenny saying it wasnt a spotter , berb was tripped and gerrard 2 feet left the floor. 2 decisions Webb got spot on.

It must be lonely being a spurs fan and having no friends on here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Have read nothing of the thread an just in the door.

My take on the afternoon.

1. The penalty shouldn't have been given.

2. The sending off was 100% deserved, it was a dangerous lunge. Carrick was lucky to walk away from it. Gerrard at 30 years of age and with years of big game experience should really know better than that. Any Liverpool fans should give him a fair share of the blame today, he let ye down bigtime.

3. It was a poor game and I thought United didn't really play well at all, though they were in control for most of the 2nd half. Liverpool showed signs of passing the ball better than they did under Roy and the team selection was a good one, which is a source for optimism - Aurelio, Kelly and Agger all improve the side.

4. Rafael is a little warrior, I love him. As one of the lads said earlier, I love how he gets into a scrap in every game. What a find. Delighted with Johnny Evans' display as well, hes gotten a very hard time this year but I thought he looked good today.

5. ****ing delighted to keep the Scousers in their box for another season, regardless of how its done. Season over in January, save for Thurday nights vs Sh*tsville FC. Happy days, get in. Number 19 would make this seaon perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Dissapointed, never took Berbatov for a cheat. And after just 30 seconds? Pathetic. Theo Walcott's dive was a disgrace too, but more understandable at 90 minutes while 1-0 down and fair play to him that he admitted and apologised afterwards. 30 seconds gone and Berba throws himself to the floor? Then claims it was a penalty in the post-match interview. What a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Good old Man Utd v Liverpool match threads. Never fail to bring back memories of school playground type arguments.

Fairly comfortable win for Man Utd. Blatant red for Gerrard. Fuunniest moment of the match was Jim Beglin groaning when the red card appeared :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The Muppet wrote: »
    Did you miss the sexist one? I was mortified.

Anyway, Good to see you earned your wages today.;)

Your casual attitude towards racism is a fúcking disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

niallo27 wrote: »
    It must be lonely being a spurs fan and having no friends on here

you'd prefer to be a pool fan and have loads of mates on an internet forum

Good man:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

flahavaj wrote: »
    5. ****ing delighted to keep the Scousers in their box for another season, regardless of how its done. Season over in January, save for Thurday nights vs Sh*tsville FC. Happy days, get in. Number 19 would make this seaon perfect.

Who are you to say our season is over?
    We can still qualify for European competition, we're still in the Europa League which most of us value more than the FA Cup since if we win it we'll be the most successful side in the cup's history and the FA Cup has been devalued since 2000 when United opted for a holiday in Brazil rather than taking part in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Dissapointed, never took Berbatov for a cheat. And after just 30 seconds? Pathetic. Theo Walcott's dive was a disgrace too, but more understandable at 90 minutes while 1-0 down and fair play to him that he admitted and apologised afterwards. 30 seconds gone and Berba throws himself to the floor? Then claims it was a penalty in the post-match interview. What a ****

Are you saying there was no contact? There's a big difference between a soft penalty and a dive. There was slight contact and he went down= soft penalty. It might not be given. Evan's claim was a lot more nailed on later.

Unearthly wrote: »
    Good old Man Utd v Liverpool match threads. Never fail to bring back memories of school playground type arguments.

Fairly comfortable win for Man Utd. Blatant red for Gerrard. Fuunniest moment of the match was Jim Beglin groaning when the red card appeared :D
    Funniest was Beglin saying "good spot by Shelvey", as he tries to lob Kuszczak from 60 yards while he's about 4 yards off his line! :D Comically biased

Tune in midweek when Normal service will resume with a 3-1 defeat to blackpool

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement