Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

The award for dive of the day goes to Maxi Rodriquez's epic collapse and roll in agony in front if a bemused Rafael.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The award for dive of the day goes to Maxi Rodriquez's epic collapse and roll in agony in front if a bemused Rafael.

I think dive of the day must go to Berbatov tbf :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Personally, I thought it was a soft enough penalty, but regardless of whether or not it was, it was given in the first 5 minutes & not the last 5.

There's a big difference there, in that Liverpool had the whole match to make a comeback. Stevie G ruined any chance of that happening by committing a needless & reckless foul in the middle of the park. It was a straight red, which any referee would have given, so blaming the result on Webb is a nonsense argument.

It's a pity really, coz Liverpool played quite well & the sending off did nothing for the game itself, which I doubt would have ended 1-0 if the card had not been shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

But as I have said Webb has told players in Blackpool to go down in the box so you can blame him.

You cant say this looks like a dive

107943150.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6551CDFEAA02B1A19B776C6D1C488EA2F2D5BE425C77F19EF

Ah, a still image, irrefutable evidence there ! Very helpful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

You mean when he ran has studs on Maxi's heel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Watch the replay, the stud came down into his boot. Completly accidental, but it's a sore one. Even if the rolling around was exagerrated.

And it hardly had as much impact on the game as Berbatov's dive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

No, but Webb did have the benefit of a linesman who was in a much better position than Webb and who didn't flag for a penalty after the dive, when Webb clearly looked over to see his reaction.
    It was a shocking decision, that conforms with Webb's record at Old Trafford.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    The linesman was in perfect position to view it whereas Webb was not.

That's what linesmen are there for, to assist the referee.

Which side was the linesman on?
    If he was on Berba's side he couldn't have judged clearly either, because it was the blind leg that would have been caught.
    If he was on Agger's side he would wanted to have ridiculously good vision to see if there was contact or not, because Agger was a big clumsy fcuk in the tackle.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Which side was the linesman on?
    If he was on Berba's side he couldn't have judged clearly either, because it was the blind leg that would have been caught.
    If he was on Agger's side he would wanted to have ridiculously good vision to see if there was contact or not, because Agger was a big clumsy fcuk in the tackle.

The linesman was on the main camera side which means he had a clear view of it since it happened at that side of the box

Watch the replay, the stud came down into his boot. Completly accidental, but it's a sore one. Even if the rolling around was exagerrated.

And it hardly had as much impact on the game as Berbatov's dive.

I'll have to look at it again, but the replay I saw looked like a massive exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

If the liverpool supporters backed roy half as well as they're backing gerrards tackle, they might have got better results

• Advertisement

The linesman was on the main camera side which means he had a clear view of it since it happened at that side of the box

It happened on the side of Reina's left hand, so if the linesman was on the side Berbatov would have been obstructing his view somewhat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Great day.
    Crap result, should have put more than one in the goal.
    Penalty all day long, there was contact from a stupid/needless tackle. Yes he didn't try and stay on his feet, but who does these days?

Definite red card. Delighted someone for once called SG on it and sent him off.
    Also loved the lack of remorse after it, did he even bother seeing if the player was injured. Classy.

Two kick offs and a red card. Another top notch performance from Stevie G. If the rumoured bid from Real is true, i'd be biting their hands off if i was a pool fan. I'm not so i'll gladly see him stay and continue the mediocrity he's been peddling for the last 3 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

I'll have to look at it again, but the replay I saw looked like a massive exaggeration.

Kind of caught him on the achilles I think, can be sore.

As for Berbatov, he dived, I'd expect most other players would do likewise, Agger silly for giving him the option. Webb needs to be sure to award it, he was too far away and never consulted his assistant who didn't flag. He's a pretty average ref to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hope utd were resting Gibson today for next sunday, be nice to see him playing next week.

If the liverpool supporters backed roy half as well as they're backing gerrards tackle, they might have got better results

That post doesn't make any sense :confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Very disappointed in Gerrard, should have known better but it's not the first time. As for Agger, lack of match practice and no cop-on, of course it's going to be given at Old Trafford, he should have shepherded him out and conceeded the corner. The Rafael challenge wasn't as bad as Meireles got out of the way, Carrick didn't have a chance, no qualms over the red.

You mean when he ran has studs on Maxi's heel?

It was accidental, but there's no doubt that's a sore one. Maxi's rolling exagerrated it obviously. But to suggest he dived is laughable. They're maybe just a bit embarrassed by Berbatov I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

But as I have said Webb has told players in Blackpool to go down in the box so you can blame him.

You cant say this looks like a dive

107943150.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892102A727B1636DE2E6551CDFEAA02B1A19B776C6D1C488EA2F2D5BE425C77F19EF

The way the rules are now, players should go down. The rules and their enforcement (not something that Webb decides) are massively flawed. Any player who doesn't go down in that type of situation is harming his team. The rules in football encourage diving. Webb is talking sense and being honest if he told players they should go down.

Are you denying that Agger stuck his leg in when he shouldn't? Are you trying to claim that Webb's view of the incident was as good as that photo? How idiotic is using that photo to judge Webb's decision?!

Seriously, you are being totally stupid if you say that it was ridiculous for Webb to give that penalty. Agger and Berbatov made it very difficult for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i didnt even see contact been made, it was dive,,Agger always pretends to make a challenge ,see him do it lots of times,
    Makes player fall down, as they believe he will tackle,
    But he never did, was shocked to see it given, its risky for defender to put leg in there take it away,

Very disappointed in Gerrard, should have known better but it's not the first time. As for Agger, lack of match practice and no cop-on, of course it's going to be given at Old Trafford, he should have shepherded him out and conceeded the corner. The Rafael challenge wasn't as bad as Meireles got out of the way, Carrick didn't have a chance, no qualms over the red.

Agree with everything apart from the Agger part. He did nothing wrong, he can't be blamed for a cowardly referee and a diving player.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Great day.
    Crap result, should have put more than one in the goal.
    Penalty all day long, there was contact from a stupid/needless tackle. Yes he didn't try and stay on his feet, but who does these days?

Definite red card. Delighted someone for once called SG on it and sent him off.
    Also loved the lack of remorse after it, did he even bother seeing if the player was injured. Classy.

Two kick offs and a red card. Another top notch performance from Stevie G. If the rumoured bid from Real is true, i'd be biting their hands off if i was a pool fan. I'm not so i'll gladly see him stay and continue the mediocrity he's been peddling for the last 3 seasons.

Calcium

Agree with everything apart from the Agger part. He did nothing wrong, he can't be blamed for a cowardly referee and a diving player.

Shouldn't have thrown in his leg, tbh. He has to take a lot of blame that's being thrown at Berbatov, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Is anyone even trying to argue that Berbatov didn't dive? There was no contact that would have caused him to fall, he took a dive in the penalty area, conned a referee that never needs any encouragement to give United a penalty and United are through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

BERBA wrote: »
    you'd prefer to be a pool fan and have loads of mates on an internet forum

Good man:rolleyes:

lol come back of the day goes to BERBA

It was overdone by Maxi, but the stud coming down on the heel is a small but nasty one. Again though, I stress that Rafael/Raphael (?) didn't do it intentionally

Pro. F wrote: »
    The way the rules are now, players should go down. The rules and their enforcement (not something that Webb decides) are massively flawed. Any player who doesn't go down in that type of situation is harming his team. The rules in football encourage diving. Webb is talking sense and being honest if he told players they should go down.

Are you denying that Agger stuck his leg in when he shouldn't? Are you trying to claim that Webb's view of the incident was as good as that photo? How idiotic is using that photo to judge Webb's decision?!

Seriously, you are being totally stupid if you say that it was ridiculous for Webb to give that penalty. Agger and Berbatov made it very difficult for him.

There was minimal contact and Berbatov made the most of it. It was a very soft pen is all i am saying

Baffling on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

baz2009 wrote: »
    Shouldn't have thrown in his leg, tbh. He has to take a lot of blame that's being thrown at Berbatov, tbh.

Huh? Agger didn't break the rules of the game or con the referee, why on earth should he be blamed for Berbatov cheating?

Absolute nonsense.

Agger made a foolish challenge.

Berba dived.

The ref then had to make a very difficult call.

If you were the manager and you didn't give out to your players for making crap decisions like that then your team would give away a lot of penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Did agger foul berba? Yes

Did Gerrard go two footed in and was late on Carrick? Yes

:................:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

As a neutral observer of the match today, Howard Webb got one decision correct and one totally wrong. The sending off I agreed with as it was quite a reckless challenge.

But I cant believe anyone thinks that it should have been a penalty on the "challenge" on Berbatov. It was a blatant dive and he cheated. Was just as bad as the Eduardo one against Celtic in which everyone and their dog where up in arms about at the time. Even Berbatov knows it himself with his body language after being questioned after the game.

Huh? Agger didn't break the rules of the game or con the referee, why on earth should he be blamed for Berbatov cheating?

For giving a striker the opportunity to go down, it was a clumsy challenge that was no where near the ball and while the contact was very minimal, it was enough for him to go down. Ye're all beginning to sound extremely bitter and pathetic now, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

What about Martin Kelly? Maturity beyond his years, strong defensively. Pity he couldn't have picked out Meriles with the cut-back instead of Torres. Im getting seriously worried about him. Id say he'll be back to Spain in the summer. Massive improvement today. Im pee'd off but alot happier. Howard Webb, what can I say that hasn't already

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

He should have known that berb (or a lot if strikers) would go down with any sort of contact and at OT it's going to be given. Its a shame but it's nothing new and he should have been a bit more clued in to it and ran him out wide.

Trilla wrote: »
    Did agger foul berba? Yes

Did Gerrard go two footed in and was late on Carrick? Yes

:................:

Did Rafael jump in two footed and not get punished? Yes

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

Agger made a foolish challenge.

Berba dived.

The ref then had to make a very difficult call.

If you were the manager and you didn't give out to your players for making crap decisions like that then your team would give away a lot of penalties.

Foolish? He didn't foul anyone. He was conned by a cheat. As have been many good players, I don't think it makes them foolish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Only touch was a back massage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

argosy2006 wrote: »

If anyone wants to tell me thats a penalty, they're off their tits.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is anyone even trying to argue that Berbatov didn't dive? There was no contact that would have caused him to fall, he took a dive in the penalty area, conned a referee that never needs any encouragement to give United a penalty and United are through.

Very good point. I don't understand why United fans feel the need to try to defend it. Berbatov dived, it decided a very poor game, it enabled them to "see out the game", what's wrong with admitting it wasn't a penalty.:confused:

Theres clear contact to the leg. I wouldn't have given it, but don't be making things up and then show a video that directly contradicts your statement.

• Advertisement

What about Martin Kelly? Maturity beyond his years, strong defensively. Pity he couldn't have picked out Meriles with the cut-back instead of Torres. Im getting seriously worried about him. Id say he'll be back to Spain in the summer. Massive improvement today. Im pee'd off but alot happier. Howard Webb, what can I say that hasn't already

I was very impressed by Kelly today, actually, despite Giggs giving him the run around a few times.

The rules of the game can't actually be enforced properly when refs have to get by without video replays. From the ref's perspective, and in real time, it could well look like a penalty.

Also, the laws of the game aren't actually that tight for this type of minimal contact situation when you read them. Under the laws I would say Agger committed an offence but it could be argued all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Am not defending Webb, but remember, referees have to make decisions almost immediately!? Pundits etc, have the benefit of numerous replays.

You don't know the laws of the game.

(does the music in that video actually say ''touch'' just as he puts his hands on Berb? That's kinda cool.)

As a neutral observer of the match today, Howard Webb got one decision correct and one totally wrong. The sending off I agreed with as it was quite a reckless challenge.

But I cant believe anyone thinks that it should have been a penalty on the "challenge" on Berbatov. It was a blatant dive and he cheated. Was just as bad as the Eduardo one against Celtic in which everyone and their dog where up in arms about at the time. Even Berbatov knows it himself with his body language after being questioned after the game.

That was cringey. He couldn't have been less convincing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

United gonna get penalties at OT whether they are or aren't spotters all day long. Refs feel under pressure to give em , Webb being the obvious example.

Foolish? He didn't foul anyone. He was conned by a cheat. As have been many good players, I don't think it makes them foolish.

You also don't know the laws of the game.

Am not defending Webb, but remember, referees have to make decisions almost immediately!? Pundits etc, have the benefit of numerous replays.

Webb had the benefit of a linesman, better positioned, who did not flag for a penalty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The only dive in that match, was gerrard two footed on carrick.

how ever minimal contact there was, it was there. And yes it was a soft pen, but it was 100% a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

It's funny how that clip dosen't show the other angle where it clearly shows contact and confirms it's a clear penalty.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement