Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Webb had the benefit of a linesman, better positioned, who did not flag for a penalty.

The linesman didn't flag for gerrards tackle either but luckily Webb spotted that as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

flahavaj wrote: »
    Theres clear contact to the leg. I wouldn't have given it, but don't be making things up and then show a video that directly contradicts your statement.

I dont see that contact, to me looks like agger thinks about going big,diving in to win ball, but he thinks twice and stamps his foot into ground instead ,at which point he lets berbatov past him,
    he then extends his arms as not to run into back of berbatov, but hhe dives to ground,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Rio tweeting he did not ask Webb ti send Gerrard off merely pointing out he thought it was a two footed challenge. Classy Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

lordgoat wrote: »
    The only dive in that match, was gerrard two footed on carrick.

how ever minimal contact there was, it was there. And yes it was a soft pen, but it was 100% a penalty.

By definition a soft pen is not a 100% pen. If you feel that a penalty then you obviously have never played football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Watch berbatovs left foot at 12 seconds into the video. Clear contact, minimal but clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

thegen wrote: »
    Rio tweeting he did not ask Webb ti send Gerrard off merely pointing out he thought it was a two footed challenge. Classy Rio.

The FA needs to ****ing enforce a complete ban on players using Social Networking sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Watch berbatovs left foot at 12 seconds into the video. Clear contact, minimal but clear.

A lot of united fans are embarrassing themselves in the extreme over this one.

By definition a soft pen is not a 100% pen. If you feel that a penalty then you obviously have never played football.

No, it's was definitely a penalty. Did you not see Giggs scoring it?

And what i meant was, while Berb didn't try and stay on his feet, there was a clumsy tackle, there was contact, it was a foul, he could probably have tried to stay on his feet, he didn't. It was a pen.

And i've played soccer for about 20 years at this stage, i learned to stop making stupid tackles in the box and stay on my feet about 10 years ago.

I also know when to blame a player for putting in a stupid tackle, getting sent off and costing his team the game rather than look for an easy way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

argosy2006 wrote: »
    I dont see that contact, to me looks like agger thinks about going big,diving in to win ball, but he thinks twice and stamps his foot into ground instead ,at which point he lets berbatov past him,
    he then extends his arms as not to run into back of berbatov, but hhe dives to ground,

Their legs touch at 15 seconds. I wouldn't have given it but I have a particular bee in my bonnet about these things and I tend to favour defenders a lot in these matters so i'm probably not the best man to ask. But I can see why the ref would have given it based on that.

As others have said the contact is far more clear from other angles, buttypically we're given the most onscure angle that suits that posters' club's point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

What about kuyt waving imaginary cards earlier, where's his class? What about the games where reina runs the lenght of the pitch to get cards for players?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a horsesh1t statement. I've been playing football all my life and I believe it was a penalty. He was fouled. Yes he went down easily, but he was fouled, and that constitutes a free, this was inside the box, so was there fore a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

People should really stop talking about whether there was or was not contact for the penalty. It's irrelevant.

The FA needs to ****ing enforce a complete ban on players using Social Networking sites.

WTF? Hmmm right to speak freely and openly? Thou shalt not tweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Sure it was a two footed challenge! The only fella showing a lack of class was the fella making the leg breaking challenge. Gotta love the way you have to make the United player the scapegoat. Bitter bitter bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

[QUOTE=citytillidie;69
      972925]Did Rafael jump in two footed and not get punished? Yes[/QUOTE]

You are correct

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

WTF? Hmmm right to speak freely and openly? Thou shalt not tweet.

Did you see Babel's "tweet"? That's why players should be banned - because they post idiotic stuff like that!!

3. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

The only dive in that match, was gerrard two footed on carrick.

how ever minimal contact there was, it was there. And yes it was a soft pen, but it was 100% a penalty.
      The linesman didn't flag for gerrards tackle either but luckily Webb spotted that as well.

What does the penalty decision have to do with Gerrard's tackle?
      You seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to Gerrard.

As Stumpy said, a lot of fans stooping to new lows defending Howard the Coward's penalty decision.

4. Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Have you seen Babel's masterpiece of a tweet?
      Or Kenny Dalgish's son?

5. Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

SantryRed wrote: »
      What a horsesh1t statement. I've been playing football all my life and I believe it was a penalty. He was fouled. Yes he went down easily, but he was fouled, and that constitutes a free, this was inside the box, so was there fore a penalty.

Thanks for that. +1.

6. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

SantryRed wrote: »

Do you wear shorts playing football or a little tutu?:p

7. Advertisement
    8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

baz2009 wrote: »
      Or Kenny Dalgish's son?

I've seen Babel's, but not Kenny D's son's?

Care to share?

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

What about kuyt waving imaginary cards earlier, where's his class? What about the games where reina runs the lenght of the pitch to get cards for players?
      I was pointing out that Ferdinand had gone public in saying he spoke to Webb and tried to influence him. Gerrard was always going off, terrible challenge.

10. Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Mister men wrote: »
      Disgraceful display form the ref but that was to be expected given his track record againest us.

Overall very very happy with the perfromance from the lads, Torres aside. Delighted to see the King back at the helm almost surreal. onward and upward redmen.:)

there is only one king in football and he goes by the name of Denis Law..

who was kennys idol and hero...

11. Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

This is a ridiculous line of argument.

12. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Sure it was a two footed challenge! The only fella showing a lack of class was the fella making the leg breaking challenge. Gotta love the way you have to make the United player the scapegoat. Bitter bitter bitter.
      Not bitter at all, not a pool fan. Talking about Ferdinand posting on twitter he tried to influence decision. It was a straight red, no arguments there.

13. Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Here's what bable put up on his twit account:

http://m.plixi.com/p/68909575

Wonder if he'll do one with SG in a united jersey too.

14. Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've seen Babel's, but not Kenny D's son's?

Care to share?

Last paragraph or two.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/09/ryan-babel-howard-webb-manchester-united-liverpool

15. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Or Kenny Dalgish's son?

Dalglish's son can do what he wants, just look at Fergie's crook of a son and the self-imposed ban from the BBC.

Stupid from Babel, but funny at the same time. At least it shows he cares because I often get the impression he doesn't give a f*ck. Big fine certainly on the way though.

16. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

As Stumpy said, a lot of fans stooping to new lows defending Howard the Coward's penalty decision.

You know it gets desperate when there's forensic attempts at whether it's a featherweight or lightweight or semi-lightweight contact :D

17. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wow, shocking by Babel and even more shocking by Dalglish junior.

I'd love to see Webb threaten them with legal action.

18. Advertisement
    19. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Here's what bable put up on his twit account:

http://m.plixi.com/p/68909575

Wonder if he'll do one with SG in a united jersey too.

Haha the inferiority complex comes to the surface again.
      I suppose Gerrard was acting in the best interests of Man U when he slipped that lovely through ball to Drogba last season? Or when he scored against them in the 2003 League Cup Final? Or in the 4-1? etc.

20. Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

What does the penalty decision have to do with Gerrard's tackle?
      You seem to have a bit of an inferiority complex when it comes to Gerrard.

And a few people seem to have gone lower in Blaming Howard for sending Gerrard off.

Why is he being called Howard the Coward, surely if he was a coward, he would have given the stonewall penalty in the second half?

Meh, not surprised at the people that are whinging about it tbh.

21. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

22. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Their legs touch at 15 seconds. I wouldn't have given it but I have a particular bee in my bonnet about these things and I tend to favour defenders a lot in these matters so i'm probably not the best man to ask. But I can see why the ref would have given it based on that.

As others have said the contact is far more clear from other angles, buttypically we're given the most onscure angle that suits that posters' club's point of view.

couple more angles

23. Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

dfx- wrote: »
      You know it gets desperate when there's forensic attempts at whether it's a featherweight or lightweight or semi-lightweight contact :D

Contact has got nothing to do with it.

24. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
      And a few people seem to have gone lower in Blaming Howard for sending Gerrard off.

Why is he being called Howard the Coward, surely if he was a coward, he would have given the stonewall penalty in the second half?

Meh, not surprised at the people that are whinging about it tbh.

That's how ****ing braindead some footy fans are.

25. Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Fair play to Shelveyon his Twitter, tbf.
      Support was amazing today! Shame about the result but its something too build on , we will get through this as a unit , come on liverpool!

That is showing emotion. Posting an idiotic photoshop is not showing emotion.

26. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

This is a ridiculous line of argument.

Honestly don't know why anyone is argueing about this, anyone that says it wasn't a ligitimate penalty obviously doesn't know the rules of the game and isn't worth arguing with on this subject.

27. Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not bitter at all, not a pool fan. Talking about Ferdinand posting on twitter he tried to influence decision. It was a straight red, no arguments there.

Telling the referee what was blatantly obvious to every single person who wathed the game - that Gerrard had made a two footed challenge - is hardly going to influence his decision is it?

if he's ben waving imaginary cards or something you might have a point. But as it stands all he's guilty fo doing is stating the obvious.

You'll have to try harder mate - and not being a Liverpool fan doesn't preclude you from bitterness. Have a look at Bluemoon for a start.;)

28. Advertisement
    29. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

He has a habit of crumbling to the will of the home crowd.

And because there is a character nicknamed that in a rather good book I read recently called Skippy Dies.

But mostly because the crumbling to the home crowd thingy.

30. Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

He has a habit of crumbling to the will of the home crowd.

And because there is a character nicknamed that in a rather good book I read recently called Skippy Dies.

But mostly because the crumbling to the home crowd thingy.
      Again, as I said, if he was crumbling to the home crowd, why not give the stonewall penalty?

31. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

That is showing emotion. Posting an idiotic photoshop is not showing emotion.

Anger and frustration are emotions. Which I imagine is what Babel is feeling. The wrong emotions for the right reasons. Still shows he gives a damn, no matter how foolish he was.

32. Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

couple more angles

Yes and it's still a penalty.

It was also a dive from Berbatov but the two aren't mutually exclusive in practice.

33. Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You're trying to convince someone who wouldn't have given it anyway mate. The fact that you're having to forensically examine it from so many angles only proves that Webb should be excluded from criticism from a making a realtime decision on such a debateable challenge.

34. Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Telling the referee what was blatantly obvious to every single person who wathed the game - that Gerrard had made a two footed challenge - is hardly going to influence his decision is it?

if he's ben waving imaginary cards or something you might have a point. But as it stands all he's guilty fo doing is stating the obvious.

You'll have to try harder mate - and not being a Liverpool fan doesn't preclude you from bitterness. Have a look at Bluemoon for a start.;)

You missed my point mate, I was not talking about the fact that he talked with Webb, but the fact that he is posting the fact on twitter. BTW I'm a QPR fan!!!!!!

35. Advertisement
    36. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Again, as I said, if he was crumbling to the home crowd, why not give the stonewall penalty?

Again i will ask what stonewall penalty in the 2nd half?

37. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Again i will ask what stonewall penalty in the 2nd half?

Which one was that?

Howard can hardly complain, he has made error after error at Old Trafford over the years

38. Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You mossed my point mate, I was not talking about the fact that he talked with Webb, but the fact that he is posting the fact on twitter. BTW I'm a QPR fan!!!!!!

Well as I said eralier, I'd ban all my players from twitter given the chance. I'm surprised Fergie hasn't already tbh.

39. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

noodler wrote: »
      Which one was that?

Howard can hardly complain, he has made error after error at Old Trafford over the years

Thats what i am trying to find out too, what stonewaller they are talking about

40. Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Because he already gave one penalty and a red card in United's favour. His refusal to award another is cowardly, although more to avoid added controversary.

I call him a coward not just down to one match. Also when Masche fouled Valencia outside the box and he gave a penalty. Gomes against Carrick. Ronaldo sent off for the handball and back talk at Eastlands. And so on. He's a rubbish referee. Prides himself on being a disciplinarian yet he constantly takes foul mouthed abuse from players and doesn't penalise them, yet he did so with Ronaldo a few years ago.

41. Advertisement
    This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement