Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

argosy2006 wrote: »

There's obviously a little confusion about whats a dive and whats going down under contact. One is cheating and one is not. To clarify the difference heres a good example of a dive , notice zero contact in this example opposed to berbatov's incident today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Because he already gave one penalty and a red card in United's favour. His refusal to award another is cowardly, although more to avoid added controversary.

I call him a coward not just down to one match. Also when Masche fouled Valencia outside the box and he gave a penalty. Gomes against Carrick. Ronaldo sent off for the handball and back talk at Eastlands. And so on. He's a rubbish referee. Prides himself on being a disciplinarian yet he constantly takes foul mouthed abuse from players and doesn't penalise them, yet he did so with Ronaldo a few years ago.

But none of them are examples of cowardice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

The Muppet wrote: »
    There's obviously a little confusion about whats a dive and whats going down under contact. One is cheating and one is not. To clarify the difference heres a good example of a dive , notice zero contact in this example opposed to berbatov's incident today.

Both dives to me. Both cheats in those clips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No, nice try.

Both dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

noodler wrote: »
    Which one was that?

Howard can hardly complain, he has made error after error at Old Trafford over the years

I'd say it was the one where evans was dragged to the ground in the pool area.(let me guess- you didn't see it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

lordgoat wrote: »
    But none of them are examples of cowardice.

Agreed. Poor judgement, perhaps. Cowardice, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

you should have been a referee muppet;)

I'd say it was the one where evans was dragged to the ground in the pool area.(let me guess- you didn't see it)

I thought there was a bit of both going on in that incident.

I agree its a foul anywhere outside the box - Ref's don't seem to give them inside though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All of the videos show Berbatov being clipped. What is the purpose of repeating it ad nauseum other than to show Daniel Agger shouldn't have stuck his leg out?

If it's not Hodgson's fault it's a referee. If only Liverpool didn't have all these people out to get them they'd be the most successful team on the planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Course they didn't!

Question here, when was the last time Man United beat Liverpool and the opposition fans weren't whinging or crying about a referee/tackle or something to that effect?

Sorest fúcking losers I've come across in a while.

Only some of them though, I know the ones who accept defeat gracefully at this stage.

• Advertisement

At least The Muppets finds good examples in clear HD and using the most appropriate angle, instead of getting blurred images from angles that suit only his side of the argument. Thank God at least some posters can be objective and post with integrity. Good job sir.

All of the videos show Berbatov being clipped. What is the purpose of repeating it ad nauseum other than to show Daniel Agger shouldn't have stuck his leg out?

If it's not Hodgson's fault it's a referee. If only Liverpool didn't have all these people out to get them they'd be the most successful team on the planet.

I'm convinced they hand out tin foil hats on the Kop or something.

But don't take my word for it.

See parables 4, 5, 7, 12, 31, 33, 36.

2yvtelt.jpg

Its always someone else's fault.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Course they didn't!

Question here, when was the last time Man United beat Liverpool and the opposition fans weren't whinging or crying about a referee/tackle or something to that effect?

Sorest fúcking losers I've come across in a while.

Only some of them though, I know the ones who accept defeat gracefully at this stage.

I did see and if you read back i already commented on how it goes on alot in games and is not punished by the refs.

I would like it to be punished by the refs as it would cut it out of the game

flahavaj wrote: »
    At least The Muppets finds good examples in clear HD and using the most appropriate angle, instead of getting blurred images from angles that suit only his side of the argument. Thank God at least some posters can be objective and post with integrity. Good job sir.

Ahahaha.

Best laugh I have had all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

That's me a bastion of objectivity and integrity.

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Won't get into Webb's decisions, all I'll say is that we were playing infinitely better ball before the red than we ever did under Roy. Whatever happens in the next 45 mins, I've seen enough to have confidence in Kenny.

This is what I said at HT, my opinion hasn't changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

At this stage its pointless arguing as its just going round in circles.

Liverpool fans - Berba dived,cheat.

United fans - Contact made,clear penalty.

Meh.

As a United fan its always nice to beat Liverpool.

If I was a Liverpool fan Id be happy that they showed a spark that has been lacking over the last few months and particularly with the performance of the boy Kelly,he looks a great prospect.

As much as I may dislike LFC,as a football fan Id like to see them get back to playing better and being more of a force(just not too much ;) ).I dont think any United fan could deny that the league is more fun when they are nipping at our heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

Liverpool fans disappoint me really. And after seeing Ryan Babels carry on the Liverpool players have hit a new low too.
    The abuse the referee has been getting is absolutley crazy. You should be blaming Steven Gerrard for his shocking tackle and for letting his team and fans down. But no, this man can do no wrong!! You should also be blaming Torres and every other excuse of a player on that team who has repeatedly given half hearted performances all season.
    The only player you should be proud of is Pepe Reina, as without him today you would have finished the game 4 or 5 down.
    The penalty could have went either way. It was given. They get given some weeks, other weeks they dont. Get over it. Maybe Liverpool could have been given a penalty themselves if they actually made it into the Utd box? Maybe you should be looking at the severe lack of opportunities you created. We outplayed you for the majority of the game, peppered your goal on numerious occasions and should have put the game to bed early on.
    It seems Liverpool have run out of excuses and the ref is the easy target. The club, players, and fans really need to look deeper if they are ever to get out of the mess they are in.
    As for Utd, its onwards and upwards! The future is looking bright! and still in 3rd gear apparentley!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Just seen on SSN that there going to replay the game.
    something about a wrong decision against Liverpool.

• Advertisement

That's me a bastion of objectivity and integrity.

Thank You.

Kepp it going lad. Men like you keep this place real.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Neutral perspective here, it looked a dive, the contact if any was minimal and isn't nearly strong enough to make a grown man fall. The fact that he takes a step before he realises he was touched proves it to me.

was rafa's fault last season , was woys fault this season , was the refs fault today. See the pattern? Never the players fault though.

Stevie G's wages will be hitting the bank next friday either way so he doesnt care, not his fault today though lads that right?::rolleyes: Was all his fault today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Why is still been discussed? There was contact, it was a foul and the game finished one nill because the penalty was converted. We all seen the match so dont need to be reminded. Next up spurs,I am done with talking about today's match as much as it delights me beating the pool, it's 'only' a cup game. The league is the priority so I'll be concentrating on that. Will look forward to the Southampton game when it arrives

BERBA wrote: »
    was rafa's fault last season , was woys fault this season , was the refs fault today. See the pattern? Never the players fault though.

Stevie G's wages will be hitting the bank next friday either way so he doesnt care, not his fault today though lads that right?::rolleyes: Was all his fault today

We played better ball today before the red than we ever did under Woy, so yeah, I'm inclined to believe that those players are better than what Woy had them producing under him. I might as well be talking to a wall though.

I'll give you one thing though, Gerrard showed an embarassing lack of self control today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

blueshed wrote: »
    Just seen on SSN that there going to replay the game.
    something about a wrong decision against Liverpool.
    The 33rd team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Berba Berba Berba .. What would you do without that smiley (:rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Lukker- wrote: »
    Neutral perspective here, it looked a dive, the contact if any was minimal and isn't nearly strong enough to bring a grown man fall. The fact that he takes a step before he realises he was touched proves it to me.

Funny how the Man U fans harp on about objectivity and yet almost all neutral supporters can see it was a blatant dive.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Berba Berba Berba .. What would you do without that smiley (:rolleyes:)

have you calmed down mixed nuts?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

have you calmed down mixed nuts?;)

Nope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Funny how the Man U fans harp on about objectivity and yet almost all neutral supporters can see it was a blatant dive.

Ah United fans, Can't live with them...Thats all.

• Advertisement

Neutrals my hole.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Nope

we try give em a game for ya next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I love how every ABU is crying over our dodgy peno - yet there's hardly any mention that we should have gotten one in the second half.

Cos you shouldn't, ball was won

anderson got a yellow for shouldering torres, fletcher got a yellow for tripping kuyt and you think gerrards attempt to smash a players ankle deserves the same?

Don't be exaggerating, Carrick isn't a player! And it may not have been Fletchers 1st tackle
    Hope utd were resting Gibson today for next sunday, be nice to see him playing next week.

You added nothing to thread with that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Match over, result in, we've been drawn to play Southampton in the next round.

Get over it!!!

As for the penalty, it wasn't a dive, he was just too lazy to stand :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You're trying to convince someone who wouldn't have given it anyway mate. The fact that you're having to forensically examine it from so many angles only proves that Webb should be excluded from criticism from a making a realtime decision on such a debateable challenge.

The fact that it has to be forensically examined proves Webb cannot have been sure in realtime to give any decision. It's not even debatable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

Honestly don't know why anyone is argueing about this, anyone that says it wasn't a ligitimate penalty obviously doesn't know the rules of the game and isn't worth arguing with on this subject.

Honestly, that's one of the worst posts today and there have been loads, you're right though, you're not worth arguing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    We played better ball today before the red than we ever did under Woy, so yeah, I'm inclined to believe that those players are better than what Woy had them producing under him. I might as well be talking to a wall though.

I'll give you one thing though, Gerrard showed an embarassing lack of self control today.
    Blackpool away will give you a better idea on where yous are at,beating Chelsea was a better performance than that IMO,these are not the games to measure improvement

Neutrals my hole.

Glad to see your arse isn't taking sides

dfx- wrote: »
    The fact that it has to be forensically examined proves Webb cannot have been sure in realtime to give any decision. It's not even debatable.

He seemed fairly sure to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

nedtheshed wrote: »
    As much as I may dislike LFC,as a football fan Id like to see them get back to playing better and being more of a force(just not too much ;) ).I dont think any United fan could deny that the league is more fun when they are nipping at our heels.

Sorry but i have to respectfully disagree with you here. I enjoy watching them suffer and hope that other clubs stay above them for a long time. I hate the club, the supporters and that stadium. I hate the ynwa. I hate that bloody bird on the jersey, i hate the sign in the tunnel. I hate their history lessons. I hate their accents. I hate dagleish, rush,beglin,fowler and gerrard. The only good thing to ever come out of the place was Sir Matt Busby.

If United win the league this year, i will raise a glass and celebrate my love for Sir Alex and what he has done to knock them off their F***ing perch

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Blackpool away will give you a better idea on where yous are at,beating Chelsea was a better performance than that IMO,these are not the games to measure improvement

Agreed, and I'm much more confident of getting a result at Blackpool than I was before this game, Gerrard or no Gerrard.

He seemed fairly sure to me.

He seemed fairly sure De Jong deserved no more than yellow in the World Cup final also. He's a very average referee in my opinion.

You can make a legitimate case for it being a penalty but I think anyone who understands football knows it was simulation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Jaysus, the penalty decision is not that controversial. If Agger had won the ball and Webb gave a peno to Utd like he did at Old Trafford against Spurs a couple of years ago, then i'd be raging.

Sure, Berbatov dived. There's no question about that. He ended up on the ground, because he decided to, not because he was tripped. But Agger was stupid for sticking his leg out, there was no need to and if you're gonna do that, you better make sure you win the ball. I don't blame Webb for giving the peno and for me, it was the right decision.

For me, the turning point was Gerrard getting himself sent off. Up to that point, i thought we were slightly the better side. If we had remained with eleven players, i think we may even have got something from the game, maybe. But after that, we were chasing for long periods and eventually tired out.

Overall, Utd deserved to win. But Liverpool fans can take a lot of encouragement from the performance today and that is what we should be focusing on, not whether there was enough contact to justify Berbatov falling like that.

I was delighted with the committment and fight shown today by the players. We can look forward now to the games against Blackpool and Everton with a lot more positivity than we would have been if Hodgson was still in charge.

Sorry but i have to respectfully disagree with you here. I enjoy watching them suffer and hope that other clubs stay above them for a long time. I hate the club, the supporters and that stadium. I hate the ynwa. I hate that bloody bird on the jersey, i hate the sign in the tunnel. I hate their history lessons. I hate their accents. I hate dagleish, rush,beglin,fowler and gerrard. The only good thing to ever come out of the place was Sir Matt Busby.

If United win the league this year, i will raise a glass and celebrate my love for Sir Alex and what he has done to knock them off their F***ing perch

:D Raise a glass of what? How about a pint of bitter?

We won't get off the perch, even if the title does go to Salford. 19 + 3 isn't quite 18 + 5 will be our favoured line I imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I hate that bloody bird on the jersey,

That made me lol

Lol. Alex Ferguson never knocked us off our perch, he had to wait til Souness destroyed Liverpool and then he managed to win the league.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Overall, Utd deserved to win.

Of course they did mate, that's no major achievement given how things went down though.

Lol. Alex Ferguson never knocked us off our perch, he had to wait til Souness destroyed Liverpool and then he managed to win the league.

Stop stealing lines from Carra stumpy.;)

Whether ye knocked yourselves off your perch or Fergie did it for ye, it has been absolutely hilarious watching ye fall and immensely satisfying taking your place and listening to ye bame the world for it.:)

Blame the manager again stumpy and not the players:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I think you need to get off the fence and tell us what you really think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement