Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA CUP 3rd Round: Manchester Utd v Liverpool (Match Thread) Mod Warning #214 - READ!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Diggy78 wrote: »
    Honestly, that's one of the worst posts today and there have been loads, you're right though, you're not worth arguing with.

There was a touch, Berbatov felt it, he went down, and a foul is a foul. The laws of the game do not specify an amount of contact that would constitute a foul, just that there must be contact.

Them's the rules like it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He seemed fairly sure De Jong deserved no more than yellow in the World Cup final also. He's a very average referee in my opinion.

You can make a legitimate case for it being a penalty but I think anyone who understands football knows it was simulation.

I find that hilarious actually. I'm not in any way saying Gerrard's tackle wasn't worthy of a red, but to think that Webb finds that a sending off, but de Jong kung fu kicking Alonso in the chest is just a yellow and a talking to.

He really is a poor ref!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Sorry but i have to respectfully disagree with you here. I enjoy watching them suffer and hope that other clubs stay above them for a long time. I hate the club, the supporters and that stadium. I hate the ynwa. I hate that bloody bird on the jersey, i hate the sign in the tunnel. I hate their history lessons. I hate their accents. I hate dagleish, rush,beglin,fowler and gerrard. The only good thing to ever come out of the place was Sir Matt Busby.

If United win the league this year, i will raise a glass and celebrate my love for Sir Alex and what he has done to knock them off their F***ing perch

Good to know we still matter to you so much!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Lol. Alex Ferguson never knocked us off our perch, he had to wait til Souness destroyed Liverpool and then he managed to win the league.

I hope you wake up tomorrow with a sense of embarrassment. Seriously, the above post is beyond hilarious, even for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What stone wall penalty?

Skrtel held back Evans I think. I'll watch it on MOTD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭doc_17

monkey9 wrote: »
    I find that hilarious actually. I'm not in any way saying Gerrard's tackle wasn't worthy of a red, but to think that Webb finds that a sending off, but de Jong kung fu kicking Alonso in the chest is just a yellow and a talking to.

He really is a poor ref!

Cos Xabi is a Liverpool legand!!!! Howard Webb is a dopey so and so...when in doubt go with what you want to happen!!!

Howard Webb.....The man Darren Fletcher man handles!!!! And doesn't he have a black belt in something? Must have admired de Jong for the fly kick and that's why he didn't send him off.

Crazy stuff that that man got to ref the world cup final. No wonder it was a bad game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

adox wrote: »
    I hope you wake up tomorrow with a sense of embarrassment. Seriously, the above post is beyond hilarious, even for you.

Just echoing the sentiments of Jamie carragher. As I said, we were in a major period of decline when Ferguson managed to win the League. We didn't challenge United for the league until two years ago.

By definition, knocking us off our perch would mean beating us head to head for the league, which didn't really happen til 2008/2009.

Sure he will probably overtake us in League titles but thats not knocking us off our perch. We were well off the perch for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

IvySlayer wrote: »

Not on MOTD , BBC lost FA Cup rights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

doc_17 wrote: »
    Cos Xabi is a Liverpool legand!!!! Howard Webb is a dopey so and so...when in doubt go with what you want to happen!!!

Howard Webb.....The man Darren Fletcher man handles!!!! And doesn't he have a black belt in something? Must have admired de Jong for the fly kick and that's why he didn't send him off.

Crazy stuff that that man got to ref the world cup final. No wonder it was a bad game.

Ex-policeman. Heard the black belt thing too.

IvySlayer wrote: »

If your calling that a penalty there'd be 15 or 20 a game. get off it!

• Advertisement

BERBA wrote: »
    Not on MOTD , BBC lost FA Cup rights :rolleyes:

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Just echoing the sentiments of Jamie carragher. As I said, we were in a major period of decline when Ferguson managed to win the League. We didn't challenge United for the league until two years ago.

By definition, knocking us off our perch would mean beating us head to head for the league, which didn't really happen til 2008/2009.

Sure he will probably overtake us in League titles but thats not knocking us off our perch. We were well off the perch for a long time.

Only a Liverpool fan could delude himself into finding asome kind of a positive in not challenging for the title in 20 years. "Yeah well we were crap anyway so stick that in your pipe Fergie." Ye really do make me laugh sometimes.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Serious amount of embarrassing posts in here!

Edit: beaten to it by Flah.

I hate that bloody bird on the jersey,

Ah leave the bird out of it. he can be quite funny.;)

picture.php?albumid=102&pictureid=4672

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

FYP

You didn't fix his post as there was nothing wrong with it. You just made it look like an annoying, smart arsed reply.

Well done Stumpy :rolleyes:

The Muppet wrote: »
    Ah leave the bird out of it. he can be quite funny.;)

At least that's one thing that can be funny.

Well done Stumpy :rolleyes:

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

FYP

Oh no you didnt:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

lads, whats the other stonewaller we're supposed to have? I don't think the giggs one was, the one Brian Kerr said was a pen.

Have UTV a highlights show tonight lads?

Trilla wrote: »
    lads, whats the other stonewaller we're supposed to have? I don't think the giggs one was, the one Brian Kerr said was a pen.

Evans was wrestled to the ground in the Liverpool box.

Jeez stumpy...as a liverpool fan I find that post embarassing. How old are you? You sound like a baby there

Honestly can't remember that, any vids? I didn't see it on this
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/manchester-united-liverpool-fa-cup-3rd-round-january-2011-8113331/

flahavaj wrote: »

Yeah after 11 sometime. Said they'd have an interview with Fergie on it too, who I haven't heard any interview with since the final whistle?

How many times do we see that sort of thing happen and how many times are penalties awarded? 1 in a 100?

Clutching at straws due to embarrassment of Berbatov penalty.

Probably a waste of time........there weren't any

11pm, UTV1.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Jeez stumpy...as a liverpool fan I find that post embarassing. How old are you? You sound like a baby there

‘If I was in his company, I would also tell him, first off, that Manchester United never knocked Liverpool off their ******* perch, as he put it. That’s just nonsense. Graeme Souness did that.
    'When United were going for their first title under Ferguson in 1992-93, they were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa. They weren’t competing with Liverpool, were they?’

Just echoing the sentiments of Carragher. If people can't grasp what "knocking someone off their perch" is, then thats down to a poor understanding of english.

A good example would be Wenger arriving and knocking Ferguson off his perch.

If Ferguson said he wanted to eclipse Liverpools achievements, he might manage that this year with a league win. Simples.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

How many times do we see that sort of thing happen and how many times are penalties awarded? 1 in a 100?

Irony lost on you?

‘If I was in his company, I would also tell him, first off, that Manchester United never knocked Liverpool off their ******* perch, as he put it. That’s just nonsense. Graeme Souness did that.
    'When United were going for their first title under Ferguson in 1992-93, they were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa. They weren’t competing with Liverpool, were they?’

Just echoing the sentiments of Carragher. If people can't grasp what "knocking someone off their perch" is, then thats down to a poor understanding of english.

oh dear :o

So was it Mickey Thomas that knocked ye off the perch in the last minute?

Fond memories...

Read Trillas post again before going off on one. He asked what was the other incident where we were supposed to have had a stone wall penalty.

I was pointing him to the incident, not passing judgement on the incident.

Try and keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Methinks it's you and Jamie that don't understand

• Advertisement

Read Trillas post again before going off on one. He asked what was the other incident where we were supposed to have had a stone wall penalty.

I was pointing him to the incident, not passing judgement on the incident.

Try and keep up.

Yes, and thanks for doing so Adox. I still haven't found a video for it though!!

Jesus stumpy stop this cringe-worthy stuff, you're embarrassing yourself.

Although if those quotes are anything to go by, I cant f*cking wait until they make Carragher player manager. Seems like the comedy hour at Anfield isn't quite over yet.

If Ferguson said he wanted to eclipse Liverpools achievements, he might manage that this year with a league win. Simples.

If you keep digging that hole at that rate, you'll be in Australia by lunchtime tomorrow.

cambo2008 wrote: »

I'm with Jamie on this on.

cambo2008 wrote: »

Nice of Jamie to admit that Liverpool haven't competed with United for two decades despite being in the same competition for all of those years. Funny stuff.

Those comments are sig material.

• Advertisement

Jesus stumpy stop this cringe-worthy stuff, you're embarrassing yourself.

Although if those quotes are anything to go by, I cant f*cking wait until they make Carragher player manager. Seems like the comedy hour at Anfield isn't quite over yet.

I can't help it if you lads can't grasp simple English.

Sorry I'm stupid forgive me

Who got man of the match on UTV?

If you keep digging that hole at that rate, you'll be in Australia by lunchtime tomorrow.

Its funny watching how touchy all the United lads are getting about it. I seem to have hit a nerve.

Yeah, we know... you learned it from a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm amazed that people can spend so much of their lives watching a sport and carry on such a lengthy argument about a particular incident without actually reading the laws.
    Whether contact was made or not is not important.
    Whether Berb dived or not does not change it from being a penalty.
    Fouls and misconduct are penalised as follows:
    Direct free kick
    A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be
    careless, reckless or using excessive force:
    • kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    • trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    • jumps at an opponent
    • charges an opponent
    • strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    • pushes an opponent
    • tackles an opponent
    A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any
    of the following three offences:
    • holds an opponent
    • spits at an opponent
    • handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own
    penalty area)
    A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred
    (see Law 13 – Position of free kick).
    Penalty kick
    A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by
    a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball,
    provided it is in play

From Carra? You serious?

Its funny watching how touchy all the United lads are getting about it. I seem to have hit a nerve.

I think you hit a mains pipe.

You should be careful where you dig.

Trilla wrote: »
    Sorry I'm stupid forgive me

Who got man of the match on UTV?

Berbatov???

I sense a grammar \ definition war coming on!
    lordgoat wrote: »
    From Carra? You serious?

I lol'd!

Anyways great weekend for United for their league challenge. Extra games for two of the big 5. Arsenal and City have to play again, and Chelsea are still in the cup. Maybe the 7-0 will give them confidence and the kick they need to move on.

Berbatov???
    Did he? He was good but I thought there was better out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

18big3-300x224.jpg

Manchester-United-fans-un-001.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement