Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Biuld

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations for this build.

Will be doing this towards the end of this month - mid feb

Will be my main system , for gaming and everything else, was gonna go for a gigabyte UD3r mobo , but went for the AsRock to cut down on price.

P.S
    I already Have a case

Will be buying a windows 7 upgrade from software4students
    (PFFFFFT)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Go Sandy Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I agree, go for Sandy Bridge. Get the i5-2500K and some P67 board.
    Next, get a better hard drive. That's a "green" power one (i.e., low power, good for storage, not so much for your main drive).
    I wouldn't really go for a 470, especially hardwareversand's "special item", unless you know that's it's a special offer and not open box. I think that a 6870 is much better from a heat and power use, although not quite as powerful. Maybe also consider the 1GB 460s.
    There's also some cheap 5870s floating around which might be best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Cheers for the input lads.

Question is where can the cpu be got??

Over clockers have the Mobo's but dont seem to have the chip yet????

Hardwareversand dont seem to have anything of it yet??

They were on overclockers yesterday. Give it a day or two, I'd say.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

HWVS had the motherboards last time I looked. No CPUs though.

They would definitely be in stock by mid-Feb I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

What advantages does the sandy bridge have over the 1366 i7 chips?

By the looks of it the mobos only take dual channel RAM (4 slots as oppossed to 6)?

New architecture, as opposed to just a die shrink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

No where will have the Cpu's showing in stock until the 9th. As thats the official launch date. But alot of places will already have them in stock. But be prepared for them to be as rare as rocking horse ****e for the first week or two.

Did up a spec from hardwareversande for a sandy bridge system

definatly works out cheaper

756 eur total

An 800W PSU is completely overkill. A 650W would be beyond your needs but still has a lot of upgrade room.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    An 800W PSU is completely overkill. A 650W would be beyond your needs but still has a lot of upgrade room.

I like overkill

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I like overkill

I'd go for a name-brand PSU though. Flower Power or whatever it was? :s

Superflower have some decent PSUs, but I'm not sure if that's one. I'd be very wary of a "special item" version of any PSU as they could be returned items - not a good idea with a PSU. The 800W amazon and cystal twilight are probably safer bets for quality. Or even the XFX Core Edition 850W would save you a bit of money.
    Seriously though, you'd barely hit half that and PSUs are designed with highest efficiency around central load, so unless you intend to get two more graphics cards, you don't need it, but it is, of course, up to you.

I will definatly be adding a second card at some stage

Advertisement