Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtain call records - incomming calls !??

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭

Hi guys.

Is it possible to obtain details of the phone calls / texts that I received - as this information is not available on my bills.

I asked O2 and they said they didn't have this.

I told them that if I was abroad I would get charged for accepting these calls so the mobile phone operator must have a record then they said I'd need a Garda to request this for me.

I asked a Garda and was told that they can only request this if a serious crime has been committed.

Can someone explain if this is possible for me to get and if so what is the best way to do it.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Being abroad is different, you're being charged by another company, recieving calls here doesnt cost anything so theres no way to get the list of incoming unless its crime related, and theres a lot of red tape to go through for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Your phone has a call-log. Received calls will be in there.
    "Number withheld" calls cannot be disclosed except to the authorities, and as part of an investigation, although the operators do know the numbers (how else do you think they can bill the callers for the calls?)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Networks have these records, however their not available to anyone for Data Protection reasons except in the circumstances outlined above.

Because......

Every incoming number is recorded by the network, and sent to your handset, but if the number has been withheld your handset receives a code on front of the incoming number and then the handset displays private or withheld number. I think the code is *#31# or something similar.

If somebody withholds their number and you can visibly see they have called you in a record or on your screen, that persons right to privacy has been breached.

Hence the red tape stuff with Guards to retrieve the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Networks have these records, however their not available to anyone for Data Protection reasons except in the circumstances outlined above.
    How does this dovetail with a persons right to records of all information held on them (under Freedom of Information act, iirc)? (I'm assuming this might include things like these records, but could be wrong there)

Do the phone companies provide it and blank out the relevant 'sensitive' information? Or is this outside the scope of the records available (something I don't have much knowledge on tbh)?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

It's outside the scope of the records, there is no legal requirement to provide these records to customers as they are not billed for them (unless roaming, and records are provided), so networks have nothing there to filter calls on a withheld/non withheld basis.

I'm not up to speed on the legal stuff around the freedom of information act but in my opinion I don't think people would gain this info.

FOI act is just really gaining information that somebody has about you (im probably wrong here) but withheld numbers involves a second party and they hold their right privacy etc if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

How does this dovetail with a persons right to records of all information held on them (under Freedom of Information act, iirc)? (I'm assuming this might include things like these records, but could be wrong there)

FOI/Data Protection only covers personal information which pertains directly to you. So things like mobile phone records would not be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Freemount09

Thanks for the replys guys. So if a Garda stoped a friend and said he was on the phone, and he wasn't, and if he wouldn't check the call log on the phone there and then claiming he knows what he saw how would a person go about proving his innocence to a judge?

Its easy to prove he didn't make a call obviously but not to receive a call. I suppose the garda could argue that he was playing a game or using the calculator function of the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

Its easy to prove he didn't make a call obviously but not to receive a call.
    I'm not so sure I'd agree there. (This isn't a legal opinion or anything of the sort, just my own view on the logistics of it)

Even if they had perfect details of all incoming and outgoing calls to a certain number, it'd be difficult to prove that this was the sim card in question at the time the alleged offence occurred.

In a case like that, where an offence had been committed, it'd be very easy to provide the records of a second sim card as a "defence". So I'd imagine it'd be a lot tougher to "prove" innocence than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

Hello All,

I know its an old thread but my question is similar.

Is it possible to get a list of INCOMING CALL numbers for a specific date back in 2014?

I was with O2 (now part of Three) at the time.

I still have the same number but have switched over to Vodafone for billing purposes.

Any suggestions/ advice you may have would be most welcome and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Hello All,

I know its an old thread but my question is similar.

Is it possible to get a list of INCOMING CALL numbers for a specific date back in 2014?

I was with O2 (now part of Three) at the time.

I still have the same number but have switched over to Vodafone for billing purposes.

Any suggestions/ advice you may have would be most welcome and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Chevy RV
    You would have no chance. They don't release records unless legally required to by gardai or a judge.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Hello All,

Chevy RV

As far as I know call records are retained for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Chevy RV

So are records for 2014 non existent now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

So are records for 2014 non existent now?

Even if still on a database somewhere without either a garda request or a court order they will not release them to you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement