Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's an idea to promote the sport...

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

ZozzyTV:
    Anyone seen these yet?
    zozzy-300x225.jpg

I figure, if anyone’s allowed upload there, that’s a fast way to show our sport to a lot of folks, right? So, I’ve uploaded these two:

Both taken in Kuortane in 2007. Must put together some more (and add the URL for here into the videos) and send them in. But for now, sending “zozzy 90002″ or “zozzy 9003″ to 53307 (costing 60 cents) gets those put up on the big screen, like at lunchtime today:
    Screenshot_23.png

Those two videos were just quick tests really, I should be able to put together something better with a bit more time (I did that lot at about 1am last night); but if anyone's near Stephen's Green shopping center or the Mary St./Moore St. junction, you might waste 60 cents sending one of those text messages above and just let us know on here how people around you reacted to the video?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Interesting idea, sparks!

Something snappy and with some tasty editing should get attention I'd say!

Pity don't have any vid's myself to play around with.
    160 fullbore shooters on the line in Bisley would attract some notice!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Was thinking of adding URLs to this and uploading it next, especially since the screens are equipped with large loudspeakers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

That, my good friend, would bring the sport into disrepute!:rolleyes::D

But short and snappy!

Loudspeakers, you say? hmmmmm......
    Now, why didn't I get a video of this:
    bisleylineoutdetail.jpg

in all it's glory and surround-sound!?;)

Works for me :D
    I have to check my archived files at home for any other interesting videos. I have to have some interesting stuff in there, and a bit of editing (don't you love open source software? professional-ish-level video editing software for free :D ) will tidy it up and make it look half-decent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

right i watched the last one i saw laurel where was hardy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

dCorbus wrote: »

But short and snappy!

Loudspeakers, you say? hmmmmm......
    Now, why didn't I get a video of this:
    bisleylineoutdetail.jpg

in all it's glory and surround-sound!?;)

Because speakers and microphones are typically totally inadequate to convey the thunder and glory of fullbore rifles. :p

Because speakers and microphones are typically totally inadequate to convey the thunder and glory of fullbore rifles. :p
    Yes, but the full thunder of a fullbore rifle would count as assault if visited on unsuspecting shoppers in Stephen's Green :D

you could put the fullbore clip on after the air rifle segment
    it'd wake them up

landkeeper wrote: »
    you could put the fullbore clip on after the air rifle segment
    it'd wake them up
    Ah, it's that mindset again, eh? :rolleyes:
    Y'know, I could put the fullbore pistol clip on after the fullbore rifle segment, and they might get interested; or I could put the shotgun clip on after the pistol clip and they might get civilised; or I could put the air pistol clip on after the shotgun clip and they might not think it looks silly; or... well, you get the idea, right? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

right i watched the last one i saw laurel where was hardy ;)

Little and large storm troopers!:D:D

I have a vid of a nice sika hind I took last weekend including the gralloch in great detail, should be very educational!, or should we only promote certain aspects of our sport ?

• Advertisement

I know the videos have to be approved by the ZozzyTV folk Below, so odds are that a gralloching video would probably get refused on the grounds that shoppers with four-year-olds would complain if the four-year-olds got shown what happened to Bambi's mom off-camera like that :D

look its simple shooting clips are boring if you can't show some sort of action the public is used to holywood where there is action involved with shooting even if it's unbelievable and impossible
    years ago they tried to promote clay shooting with something called star shot that was easy to watch and you could see the whole sequence from start to finish on a huge vertical dartboard type set up
    died a death cos it wasn't user friendly and boring to joe soap
    what chance has a plump lad in a stormtrooper suit got when the viewer can't even see the result of the shot all that shows is a lad holding what looks like a toy rifle making grimaces and pouts , if you want to promote shooting it needs to be eye catching interesting and fun not dull and uninteresting imho

There's something that's even worse at promoting our sport than a plump lad in a stormtrooper outfit, and that's nothing at all, which is why there's now a video up there of a plump lad in a stormtrooper outfit. The reason the video's a good idea is that Joe Public never sees our sport at all. When we have better videos, we'll use those instead, but for now, we're doing what we can, with what we've got, from where we are.

BTW, you could put Angelina Jolie up there firing a Gustav, and you still wouldn't be promoting our sport, 'cos that's not what our sport looks like...

ps. What's dull and uninteresting to you, isn't to other people. Try to remember that, would you? You're getting my back up if no-one elses...

well if you want to attract people to the sport make a videa clip that at least shows the process from start to finish that won't bore them
    start with a brief explanation of the air rifle explain what it shoots, show the target , get some views from behind the shooter as he shoots show the shot sequence with some commentary , show the target as it get hit etc etc it needs to be user friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

In fairness I think landkeeper may have a point, not about your waistline :D(there was no need for that) but about the excitement, Shooting is a minority sport and air rifle is more ..........dare I say ......elitest :confused:?? and does not have any appeal to most.
    Perhaps a clip showing a broad spectrum of all aspects of the shooting sport, something with a little excitment for all might be of value.

i didn't realise it was him i thought it was a general clip :o

People are grossly missing the point. The fact that Sparks threw up the clips he did does not preclude anyone else making their own to represent their facet of this huge pantheon of sports. Nor is he some sort of universal ambassador for shooting. He's a 10m air rifle shooter. As such, he made a video which shows what he does. If others want to do similarly, then maybe now they will, since he's illustrated how possible it is and the way to do so. Making this a discussion about Sparks's videos and arguing over whether they adequately represent shooting is completely pointless. It's certainly not why he did what he did or made this thread.

i didn't realise it was him i thought it was a general clip :o
    What, the photo to the left didn't give it away? :D

dCorbus wrote: »
    *hehe* Couldn't resist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sparks,
    As a hunter/shooter, I have always wondered what's the price of one of those jackets and what is the added advantage of having one in your line of work?

If it is something that helps you go freehand, then I am wondering if bits of it could be adapted for the field. Obviously, they don't come in camo ;).

• Advertisement

FISMA wrote: »
    Sparks,
    As a hunter/shooter, I have always wondered what's the price of one of those jackets and what is the added advantage of having one in your line of work?

If it is something that helps you go freehand, then I am wondering if bits of it could be adapted for the field. Obviously, they don't come in camo ;).

The jackets range from about £100 for the cheapest club stuff to maybe about £600 for top of the line made-to-measure stuff. The essential role they have is to provide back support, in conjunction with the trousers, to prevent long term chronic injury from loading the spine with heavy rifles (That air rifle is as light as they come, at about 5kg, and I think Sparks's one was more like 5.4kg. An ISSF free rifle can be up to 8kg, so it's a hell of a load. That's the same upper weight limit as F-Class, so think about shooting a rifle of that weight standing). The side effect is that they do help with stability. The mistake people make is thinking the gear can do all the work, and it really, really can't. It can augment a good, solid, strong and stable position, but it can't help a bad one. So yeah, it will in theory make you more stable in the field, but firing a 7.5lb to 9lb rifle, for one shot, you'd be suitably stable if you just got into a decent position, and if you couldn't do that, the canvas gear wouldn't help anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The jackets range from about £100 for the cheapest club stuff to maybe about £600 for top of the line made-to-measure stuff...

I guess I will have to try one on some day. It looks loose fitting so I am having trouble seeing how that back is supported, but will take your word.

I noticed the way Sparks was standing was totally opposite I would train shooters in the field to do with a 30-06. I teach people to lean into the shot, to absorb the recoil - it has worked well for me.

What does the jacket weigh itself? Had some leathers for motorcycles (Thank God :D) these jackets must be more rigid, correct? Are there inserts?

As for all of this talk about plump guy in a storm trooper suit
    Sparks wrote: »
    There's something that's even worse at promoting our sport than a plump lad in a stormtrooper outfit, and that's nothing at all, which is why there's now a video up there of a plump lad in a stormtrooper outfit.

I cannot imagine it would do any more harm to the shooting community than this guy did at the Tour!
    fat1.jpg

FISMA wrote: »
    I guess I will have to try one on some day. It looks loose fitting so I am having trouble seeing how that back is supported, but will take your word.

I noticed the way Sparks was standing was totally opposite I would train shooters in the field to do with a 30-06. I teach people to lean into the shot, to absorb the recoil - it has worked well for me.

What does the jacket weigh itself? Had some leathers for motorcycles (Thank God :D) these jackets must be more rigid, correct? Are there inserts?

As for all of this talk about plump guy in a storm trooper suit

I cannot imagine it would do any more harm to the shooting community than this guy did at the Tour!
    fat1.jpg

It can't be clinging or artificially supportive. There are (extremely extensive) rules on clothing dimensions, which is why I had a strop with Tackleberrywho recently on their function. There are no inserts or anything, just well cut panels of canvas or similar material which relieve the tension on the spine.

As to the difference, yes, in the field I too will swing up the rifle, sling up and pop off a round in quick order, oriented to the target, leaning into the shot. However, when firing for up to an hour and three quarters, with a much heavier gun, a stronger, more relaxed and more stable platform has to be adopted in order to remain accurate (And remember, the ten in air rifle is 0.5mm at 10 metres, with iron sights). As regards weight and stiffness, they'd be stiffer on purchase than motorcycle leathers but would be similar when broken in. They'd be lighter though I'd say. However, a full kit bag is an imposing weight to bring through an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Does having a big gut give additional support when holding the rifle? or are you not supposed to have one? They seem to be a requirement for dart players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

why not put clips of junior members of the shooting fraternity up...all kids want to learn to shoot and may pester their parents to join local target clubs..I remember a couple of years ago seeing a boy (about 10 ) absolutly dusting clays at a shoot, I was genuinely gob smacked...also get the benefit that adults might think "that if a child can do it anyone can"

You're not supposed to have one deeks, which is why I've been hitting the gym since september. And was making progress until christmas. Damn feasts.

FISMA, the jacket weighs about as much as a light (ie, not a biker) leather jacket does, maybe a bit less. I've never actually weighed mine so I don't know accurately how much it weighs.

BTW, I was emailing the Zozzy people last night asking them to realign their webcam so we could see people on the street watching the screen, and the first thing I got back was "thanks for the shooting videos", so at least some people noticed :D

4gun wrote: »
    why not put clips of junior members of the shooting fraternity up
    Well, (a) that second clip had some of our best juniors training in it alongside Olympic medal winners; and (b) you usually have to have parental permission for such things to avoid subsequent shouting (I had permission to promote those juniors from their parents).

Latest one (text zozzytv 90019 to 53307 if you feel like splurging for fun):

Advertisement