Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV question

Options
  • 06-01-2011 3:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

With 60 announced stores of HMV closing, is there any news that the one in Scotch Hall, Drogheda might be on the list?

Personally I'm hoping not.
    I found the staff in there to be great and the store always have a good stock a lot more so than the poorer ones in the own of Drogheda.

(I'm not related to stall and/or have any connection with the store - just a regular customer)

Anyone know what stores are to go yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It all depends on which stores are cheaper to close down.

Regardless of store performance I reckon it will come down to each individual lease agreement. Each one, depending on on length, T&Cs etc, will have a "get out clause" and there are usually huge penalties attached to them.

It may be that the Scotch Hall store is performing poorly but their lease agreement may be too expensive to renage on as it's fairly recent (2005)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...It may be that the Scotch Hall store is performing poorly but their lease agreement may be too expensive to renage on as it's fairly recent (2005)
    True. Here's hoping they are making a good return on their investment there.
    Judging by the average numbers I see in it from early weekdays (lull periods) to the weekends (a lot busier) they are somehow making enough there to justify it remaining open overall.

Lord know the town of Drogheda anyway seriously needs a decent store like it. Its about the only decent one left in the town.
    ...The other one in the town centre in west street is dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

uk stores only i thought

event wrote: »
    uk stores only i thought

If so, sad for those that will become unemployed but glad that we might escape cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The 60 announced stores are all in the UK, tho there will be closures in Ireland apparently.

HMV in Scotch hall always seems to have a few people in it, so I doubt theyre doin too badly, Waterstones beside it tho seems like a different story. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Waterstones seem to be the problem for the HMV group. People just don't buy as many books any more. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I always found HMV in Scotch to be useless and very overpriced. Although maybe I'm just unlucky in that they never have what I want!

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I always found HMV in Scotch to be useless and very overpriced. Although maybe I'm just unlucky in that they never have what I want!
    I agree in that sometimes they don't have what I'm looking for but for the stock they do have, the have dropped their prices better in the last while.
    They have started to kop on I think that they are competing with internet sales and have dropped some of their prices to be in close comparison to them.

Waterstones seem to be the problem for the HMV group. People just don't buy as many books any more. Pity.
    I don't know the figures as regard their paper book sales but if they stop just pushing the ePub format and add the format for the Amazon Kindle to their selection of ebooks, their sales in that department would rocket!
    Amazon at the moment is making an absolute killing as regards ebook sales.

Biggins wrote: »
    I don't know the figures as regard their paper book sales but I if they stop just pushing the ePub format and add the format for the Amazon Kindle to their selection of ebooks, their sales in that department would rocket!
    Amazon at the moment is making an absolute killing as regards ebook sales.
    I dunno biggins, you can download ebooks almost near as easy as you can music. I downloaded most of the ones I have on my sonyreader from torrents. I remember a while back trying to buy ebooks from them, they where nearly the same price as the paperback, maybe thats changed, this was when they first launched it.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    I agree in that sometimes they don't have what I'm looking for but for the stock they do have, the have dropped their prices better in the last while.
    They have started to kop on I think that they are competing with internet sales and have dropped some of their prices to be in close comparison to them.
    There is some great bargains in there this week I will admit. Unfortunately I usually look and go "oh I will download that later". I am sure many do that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have to agree regards the staff Biggins, very pleasant and helpful even when it was manic over christmas. Got some pre-order stuff for games when I bought them day of release even though I hadn't pre ordered, as they knew my face and they are always at least €5 cheaper on a new game then gamestop or as much as a 10er on xtra vision.

One thing I will say though is the stock regards cd's is piss poor compared to what it was when they 1st opened. That said they will get it in for you saving you the shipping if you ordered online ;)

I went across the town to cd world a few days before xmas and it was a pitiful sight, as when I had left hmv there was a queue snaking around the shop. I fear more for those guys than hmv to be honest. With regards cd world I blame their poor stock and it's layout, it's atrocious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

The HMV in Scotch hall is the biggest one in the country outside of Dublin I believe. Theres always a good bargain or 2 idin it. Still not a patch on online shopping though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I went into HMV Scotch Hall on several occasions looking for staples (Dark Side Of the Moon for example) and have been stunned by the lazy buying that goes on there. I mean how many feckin' "Best Of" collections do you have to have? I counted at least 5 different Bryan Adams best ofs last week while I was looking for an Aerosmith album and as for the scalping they were doing on the re-issue Kraftwerk stuff!

I went in looking for "Station to Station" last summer and I ended up calling the older fella with the glasses over; I asked him was I going blind or was there no Bowie at all on the stand. Correctamundo - NO Bowie on the rack or in the stock drawers. Some tie-dye haired multi-pierced muffin-topped gobdaw had put them in the back.

Seriously lads, that feckin beggars belief! :mad:

p.s Biggins, did you catch "Serenity" on RTE 2 last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I dunno biggins, you can download ebooks almost near as easy as you can music. I downloaded most of the ones I have on my sonyreader from torrents. I remember a while back trying to buy ebooks from them, they where nearly the same price as the paperback, maybe thats changed, this was when they first launched it.

Law student? Guessing they were all from here yeah? :P

washiskin wrote: »
    ...p.s Biggins, did you catch "Serenity" on RTE 2 last night?
    I did but then I have it on DVD, HD, PSP format and AVI to name a few.
    The cast of which are friends too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

God help us if all we are left with is cd world.

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    God help us if all we are left with is cd world.
    Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

HMV in drogheda wont close.
    The store is always doing good business.

Over in the uk they put stores everywhere. Its a bit surreal to say.

Take a town ive been in a few times in england, Leigh near Manchester.
    There are 2 HMVs in the town no bigger in retail size than Balbriggan.

The neighbour town, the same distance away from drogheda to bettystown also has one.
    The nearest town to that again has another and then the trafford center that is right beside that town has 2 in it!
    With so many i found the people who i was staying with not bothered going in for a wander. Like how we would take a gander around scotch hall, a pop into HMV would be necessary, for them they stay away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

washiskin wrote: »
    I went into HMV Scotch Hall on several occasions looking for staples
    You shoulda tried Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

i think scotch hall will close
    apparently there will be 4/5 closures in ireland in the waterstones/hmv group.
    the flagged stores are crescent shopping centre in limerick.kilkenny,waterstones in dawson st and scotch hall.
    scotch hall is one of their worst performing stores and everybody in the industry know this,only chance is that they put the two stores in to one.
    u heard it here first and anyway im a supporter of irish business and more power to cd world for sticking it out.

blingrhino wrote: »
    u heard it here first and anyway im a supporter of irish business and more power to cd world for sticking it out.

And who exactly are you?

i think scotch hall will close
    apparently there will be 4/5 closures in ireland in the waterstones/hmv group.
    the flagged stores are crescent shopping centre in limerick.kilkenny,waterstones in dawson st and scotch hall.
    scotch hall is one of their worst performing stores and everybody in the industry know this,only chance is that they put the two stores in to one.
    u heard it here first...

Besides been totally unsubstantiated, I find the above hard to believe.
    ...anyway im a supporter of irish business and more power to cd world for sticking it out.
    Fair enough for still existing but they are one dire shop who's Blue-Ray section alone is virtually non existent.
    Instead they have shelves upon shelves of Irish country singers, the likes that was last heard of in a 1950's ballroom of romance!
    Desperate stock and marketed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

CD World worker: Blue Ray? Is he some sort of Rapper fella? I'm not sure we have him but we have the latest Foster and Allen tape over there on the shelf beside Metallica and the GAA Calendars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

cm plunkett wat a ridiculous question-who am my?
    just because you dont agree thats fair enough but answer the thread in a discussionary manor not a schoolboy jibe.

have to agree biggins, it is a bit like a country music shop:)

cm plunkett wat a ridiculous question-who am my?
    just because you dont agree thats fair enough but answer the thread in a discussionary manor not a schoolboy jibe.

obvious-troll-is-obvious-p2768.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEze2VNcQIfkeRa2uGmENJClflEspXg

It's not that I don't agree with your point, but to be fair unless you work in hmv head office there is no way you would know that.
    And even then your job would be on the line for announcing it on a public message forum.

Regarding CD World, I'd actually like to buy my stuff there as I try to support independent sellers more.
    I'd like to be able to be able to go buy something DVD/HD-wise alone without having every time, to have to march down to the furthest end of Scotch Hall
    ...But I can't! Its HMV or nothing at all. CD world is a non-entity - which is a shame.

Advertisement