Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

*WRONG FORUM*
    Feel free to move it.
    I was thinking of looking into the Paramedic course that is two-years long and in Dublin. That is all I know though. I am an OMAC Cadet for 4 years so I have plenty of first-aid knowledge. What I was wondering is what would I put down in my CAO and is this a good choice, I mean if you are a Paramedic do you like it and is the pay good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

check out the emergency service forum (under: soc) and then go to the other emergency service recruitment sub forum.

it is a great job.
    you can't apply through the cao, but you do need a science subject in the leaving, and C1 and D1 driving licence (although the d1 might not be needed any more)
    only the national ambulance service (campus in dublin and ballinasloe) and dublin fire brigade train to paramedic level. check out this website: phecc.ie
    or just pop into your local ambulance base (with biscuits) for a chat. (be prepared to listen to a load of cr@p aswell as some good advice)
    good luck with your future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

paraletic wrote: »
    check out the emergency service forum (under: soc) and then go to the other emergency service recruitment sub forum.

it is a great job.
    you can't apply through the cao, but you do need a science subject in the leaving, and C1 and D1 driving licence (although the d1 might not be needed any more)
    only the national ambulance service (campus in dublin and ballinasloe) and dublin fire brigade train to paramedic level. check out this website: phecc.ie
    or just pop into your local ambulance base (with biscuits) for a chat. (be prepared to listen to a load of cr@p aswell as some good advice)
    good luck with your future.

Thanks for the response but I also want to go to college. Should I do the course in college like Biomedical Science and then do the course? In my school they pretty much you should do college for experience if you can get in. Also is the OMAC Cadets experience good?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

oh right,
    i haven't a clue, sorry, try contacting the ambulance school for advice, or one of the training officers. they are (mostly) very aproachable.
    i think they defo prefer college educated people, and i agree with your school: if you can go to college, then go, for experience, fun, and future career prospects, including joining the ambulance service, i dont think it really matters what you study, just as long as you enjoy it,
    a good 3rd level course shows that you are capable of continued education (very important in our modern ambulance service).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I think you're right about they would like someone with a degree. The only thing putting me off is that my sister went to college got a good result and got nothing out of it but college is hopefully in my future:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

as far as i know you need to do emergency first responder and emergency medical technician course before they let you do a paramedic course. was looking into esti paramedic course but very pricey at 18,500 for the course or if you have done a course with esti and in the voluntary services like st john ambulance or omac and irish red cross. good luck with whatever you choose to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement