Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Calling all kit car/track day special fans

Options
  • 06-01-2011 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all. Go easy on me, this is my first post.

I'm a co-founder of CompleteCar.ie, but I also write for The Irish Times and I'd like to get in touch with owners of kit cars and track day specials in Ireland for an article.

Thanks a lot.

Shane
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seanodonochu

Thanks for quick reply. I specifically want to know what kind of cars people have and what sacrifices they've made to keep hold of them!

Sure, I appreciate all that. For the article I am working on I am more interested in cars like Caterhams, Westfields, etc. Preferably ones that are road legal.

Thanks

To add to that, I am not looking for a list of cars that people have; I would like to discuss the whole thing with a handful of people to get their opinions and experiences.

Thanks

Sure, that makes loads of sense, but I don't have time on my side... This article needs to be written within the next week.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

You'll probably find that the number of kit cars in Ireland is fairly limited compared to the UK as insurance is a killer over here.

I looked seriously into the whole kit / track car thing a few years back and even though I was in my last twenties, 8 years clean driving and had a garage to store the car in, only 2 companies would quote me.. one asking for nearly 50% of the cars value.. which obviously put me off.

The fact that I could only use my NCB on one car didn't help either, but Irish insurance companies have never been known for their intelligence, just their money grabbing abilities.

I was looking at the likes of Catherham 7's and Westfields, the model of each I was interested in both of which had 1.6ltr engines but that didnt matter to the insurance companies, as soon as the heard the word kitcar, that was it.. end of story.

So for a toy that is probably going to be used a few days a month and even less in the winter, you might find that classics would be a preference for most people as the cost of running them, with low tax and insurance, added to the fact that maintaining them tends be a labour of love rather than a chore will appeal to a lot more people.

Things may have changed but I haven't looked into it since then..

As for track cars, there are other more knowledgeable people on here who have more experience in this area.

There are a few clubs and forums that I found when doing the research so someone on there may be able to help more. These guys here are the ones that I found the most info from..

Irish Kit Car Club

Tox

• Advertisement

Thanks, that should be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Slightly off-topic but I would love to get my classic out in Mondello and give it a proper run unlike the classic car live chaperoned gig. There was a Classic track day suggested a few months back (don't know if it ever happened?) but at something like €250 an entrant! You probably don't have any control over that LIGHTNING but it's WAY too expensive to expect any kind of numbers.

If I was to do it I would be looking at half worn tyres and brake pads plus harder than normal wear and tear and fuel on top of €250 never mind the loss of earnings in a day off work. If it was €100 I would be much more likely to attend as would many other entusiasts. It would need to be on a weekend day too as most normal people have to work during the week and taking the day off ain't an option.

Advertisement