Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste

Options
  • 06-01-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Dont know if this is the right place, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me a place preferably in Kildare/Dublin west, where I could buy some thermal paste.

And also what would be the best way to clean old thermal paste.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Dont know if this is the right place, but I'm wondering if anyone could tell me a place preferably in Kildare/Dublin west, where I could buy some thermal paste.

And also what would be the best way to clean old thermal paste.

cheers

Maplin, peats or pc world would have thermal paste. You can buy proper cleaning kits for it but I just wipe it off with kitchen roll and is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

mermoryc stock it with the likes of this http://www.memoryc.ie/products/description/Arctic_Silver_5_Thermal_Compound_3_5g/index.html You pay online and can then collect straight away. have bough a few things off them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Side question on this stuff.

Does it dry solid? And how long does it take? I had to move a cpu cooler about 30-40 minutes after I installed it. It was pre applied to the base that touched the CPU. The paste didn't have an airtight seal on it or anything in the packaging, just a lose plastic bag over the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Over time it hardens and dries with use, but 3YO stuff can still be wiped away with a cloth, it doesn't set. The reason it would be covered it to prevent dust sticking to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Thats great.I was afraid that the paste had been spoiled because I moved the cooler, even though I'm now idling an i7 at 20 degrees. Is that normalish?

I also had to drop one fan from my H70 due to the side fan opening being over the GPU....serious case design flaw. When I get time im going to seal that fan intake hole and create my own over the CPU so I can set up the push pull, at the moment its only on a push :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

pcworld in naas sells thermal paste for about 10 euros a tube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Sorry to hijack, not looking for thermal paste, but a question about it.

Does Thermal Paste ever go off ??
    Looking through by bitz drawer I came accross some tubes of arctic silver which I picked up about 4-5 years ago.
    Would these still be useable in a new build, or should I bin them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pimp Ninja wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, not looking for thermal paste, but a question about it.

Does Thermal Paste ever go off ??
    Looking through by bitz drawer I came accross some tubes of arctic silver which I picked up about 4-5 years ago.
    Would these still be useable in a new build, or should I bin them ?

Probably does. But if the consistency is still there, it's still good. If it has dried out a bit it won;t spread and it'll be a bad conductor.

[working: It'll/or may dry out in that sort of time frame].

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

gbee wrote: »
    Probably does. But if the consistency is still there, it's still good. If it has dried out a bit it won;t spread and it'll be a bad conductor.

[working: It'll/or may dry out in that sort of time frame].

It does have a shelf life.It depends on which product as times vary.
    It can seperate in the tube after a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement