Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

acer case mod

• 06-01-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was wondering if anyone had any experience in modding a laptop case.

Ive got an acer 5536 which is over heating severly, ive drilled out an intake which was sealed up (right below the fan...) which has dropped the idle temps by nearly 30 degrees!

was wondering if anyone has ever done a better job than i have, or if they know of any guides/recomend tools?

any help would be appriciated.

thanks,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

A laptop cooler is always a good way, adds a little bit of bulk and is powered by USB in most cases. Its basicially just adding a few fans to the underside of the laptop to help with cooling. But the root of the problem is most likely the internal heatpipes and fins are more then likely covered in dust and grime. The thermal paste could probably do with being changed too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

^ What Ryan said!

I really don't know why OEMs don't design in wee little removable filters for laptops... God knows they need it more than anything else out there! :eek::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Thanks for the replies lads. I got a cooler master u2 at chrisas and it's keeping the CPU temps in the mid 80's while gaming. But I'm still little concerend that this is too hot.

Running programs for college ( CAD, adobe, word etc) Is a non issue temps never go above 60
    Should I just go for it an cut some more vents? Or is that an acceptable temp for a laptop CPU?

I won't be buying another laptop from acer again. Unless I can inspect it personally first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Oh, I also changed the thermal paste in oct. Idsay it could do with changing again!

Thanks again for replys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

You could cut out a few more vents, but in doing so could radicially change the thermal dynamics of the laptop. Contrary to popular beliefe they are built in such a way where air can flow over the main components, cutting in a vent could solve one problem, but then raise another. The first thing i would personally do is remove the plastic undercover from the laptop and remove the cooling assembly, replace all thermal paste with a tiny ammount on the contacts for the CPU/GPU etc (Grain of rice size, uncooked) and remove all the dust and debris from the cooling fins. Also check the fanspeed too, i believe speedfan should be able to monitor them. I'm gussing they should be running at around 1200rpm to 1800rpm. If you notice either of the two (Or if there is only one in your case) under say 800rpm the fan could be fubar. Thankfully you can pick up spareparts on adverts.ie or other auction sites on the net :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement