Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Mexican Place?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm new to the city and love it so far but I'm just getting my bearings at this point. I'm in the mood for some chili or mexican food later and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good spot to head for? Something that won't require me to pop into the bank beforehand to draw down a mortgage and that's tasty would be grand! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Cactus Jacks on Courthouse Lane is very nice, but not that cheap. Link to their menu.

If you're really on a budget then you could try La Salsa. They have 2 restaurants, one on Mary street at the end of Abbeygate street next to the Home plate, and one on mainguard street (extension of shop street). They do burritos and stuff like that, they are nice and studenty places. I don't think they have a menu online, I could only find one for delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

la salsa is good for something casual, cheaper than a restaurant but expensive enough for take-away although they have seats upstairs,
    they're on mary street, near sally longs and they have a place near cross street too

otherwise, for a proper sit down restaurant outing, try cactus jacks at the back of the quays pub

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jalapenos on Quay Street is great.
    In fact, I think I might go there for breakfast now...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

La Salsa do very authentic food, or did when I was there a few years back. A little like Baja Fresh in the US. It is sort of like a fast food type place as opposed to a sit down restaurant but the food itself is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Ficheall wrote: »
    forgot about that place, was in there once when they opened,
    they do a nice breakfast alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Ficheall wrote: »

I disagree.... Ate there once with friends, we were really disappointed and all agreed it was absolutely rubbish. It had very limited choice too but wouldn't mind that if food we ordered was good, it wasn't. We eat out very often, but won't be returning or recommending Jalapenos, ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,251 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks everyone! So far, I'm siding towards Cactus Jack's. It looks reasonable enough, isn't at expensive as jalapeno and I don't want something next step up from take away either. CJ's has a wider menu as well. My mouth is starting to water now, mmm..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I disagree.... Ate there once with friends, we were really disappointed and all agreed it was absolutely rubbish. It had very limited choice too but wouldn't mind that if food we ordered was good, it wasn't. We eat out very often, but won't be returning or recommending Jalapenos, ever!

I've eaten there many, many times with friends, and all agreed that it was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Sadly, there are no good Mexican restaurants in Galway. Each of the above restaurants get some bit right, but if you are used to them from abroad you'll be disappointed. In fairness most Mex places in Ireland are a
    bit homogenised.

No proper sushi in Galway either, but in one hour I shall be sitting in Yammamori in Dublin, so am appeased for today.

Some very good authentic Italian tho! :)

Ah I'm just dying for some chilli or fajitas or something. It doesn't have to be from an old authentic family recipe made by lads specially brought over from Mexico to run the place! I'll be happy if I get a beer and some nice guacamole and things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

inisboffin wrote: »
    No proper sushi in Galway either, but in one hour I shall be sitting in Yammamori in Dublin, so am appeased for today.

Very good sushi in the Wa Café on New Dock Street
    http://www.wacafe.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I reckon you should just kick it at home with old el paso: your own cooking is more likely going to be cheaper and tastier than anything you'll get in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I reckon you should just kick it at home with old el paso: your own cooking is more likely going to be cheaper and tastier than anything you'll get in town.

I don't agree, I like Cactus Jacks, I would rate it way higher than any dinner kit from Old El Paso. I know my being a terrible cook has more than a little to do with that but I can't imagine anyone making a class meal out of those. :)

Never tried Jalapeno's by the way. I'll put it on the list of places to try.

My favorite place is Thai Garden, really great food if you like Thai and the staff is really friendly. But I'm getting a bit off-topic now since you asked about Mexican.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Cactus Jacks on Courthouse Lane is very nice, but not that cheap. Link to their menu.

Sorry but would have to disagree.

Cactus Jacks is absolute muck. The only reason it keeps going is because it has a reputation for being very hen and stag friendly. Brutal is a word that springs to mind when I think it.

Very good sushi in the Wa Café on New Dock Street
    http://www.wacafe.net/

They have lovely smoked salmon rolls etc, but afaik they don't have the full raw fish license, so you can never get the full selection of sushi and sashimi like hamachi, or even tamago etc.

The place out in Galeay shopping centre will apparently have the guy make you up the full selection for a special party, but they usually have the salmon skin etc ones there too.

Yammamori for Galway, I would be SO happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

La Salsa. Good, friendly staff with reasonable prices. Love the place on Shop Street (I know its not actually on Shop Street, haven't a clue what that street is called!), nice atmosphere to it. Always bring in my own drinks thought, dont like paying over €1 for a can.

THFC wrote: »
    La Salsa. Good, friendly staff with reasonable prices. Love the place on Shop Street (I know its not actually on Shop Street, haven't a clue what that street is called!), nice atmosphere to it. Always bring in my own drinks thought, dont like paying over €1 for a can.

Mainguard St :)

of the two, I prefer this one. While it is more fast food it is grand, and much improved from when I went in last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Sorry but would have to disagree.

Cactus Jacks is absolute muck. The only reason it keeps going is because it has a reputation for being very hen and stag friendly. Brutal is a word that springs to mind when I think it.

Lovely chicken wings. would go there for them alone. Name somewhere in GAwlay that does nicer ones and I'll try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Have to agree with most posters here Jalapeno's is fantastic !
    Only found the place before Christmas and love it. The Czech girl who works there is a bit daft but very friendly lol Food is very reasonably priced and is certain to fill you up.

I'll also add that I think Cactus Jacks is the worst restaurant in Galway !! Pure Muck !

I didn't find Cactus Jacks too bad, It wasn't top notch but the food was tasty enough and it wasn't too dear either. I'll try Jalapeno next time for sure to compare. The one thing I'll say is that the portions weren't the biggest. Still, it was filling really. I'd have liked more chips though. The small bowl of them I got wasn't enough. It hit the spot anyway and qas quiet enough so the service was fast. Not sure I'd be in a mad rush back as there wasn't anything really special but it was grand and the chilli was nice anyway. thanks for the suggestions Galway Boardsies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement