Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with one of the galway moderators

Options
  • 06-01-2011 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I have just been banned from the Galway forum because I posted in a thread that had not been used for a while. It was not abusive, or rude, and did not go against any Laws of the boards. The person in question banned me because seemingly weeks ago he said I was not to post again in this thread. I have not been on boards for weeks and do not walk around with boards.ie in my head and innocently posted on this thread today - hence the ban.

the ban itself I can live with - however my issue is with the "moderator" for Galway the name...biko

I'm not sure if you have had reports of this moderator previously, but in my opinion he is ruining what is potentially a good forum. He tends to ban at will, but has no "rules or regulations" re. banning - he tends to let his 'clique" post whatever they want, but ban's people that does not agree with him or his cronies. He has no problem himself posting what he wants but can ban other members for doing likeise - he has one rule for himself and one for others, depending on who they are.

I am not too upset about the ban in the galway forum - to be honest its problably one of the worst forums on boards.ie, because people are afraid that this biko person is going target them depending on his moods.

are moderators "moderated" or can they do as they like.

I would ask you to check out biko and what he is doing on the galway forum. I know I am not the only one with issues with him.

I have no problem being banned for a valid reason, not just because this person is waving a stick.

I would urge you to check him out before the Galway forum becomes a "friends like me only" site. Biko is not practising fair play and is becoming more dictatorial on the galway forum.

please check it out for the sake of the galway forum which is being ruined by his antics.

I'm not too pushed "resolving the dispute"- I am more interested in biko not ruining the galway forum for everyone but his cronies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I am the banning moderator.
    This is the thread

dolphincity was banned because she didn't follow mod instruction.
    That particular thread was about shops opening up, a positive thing in this recession.
    Alas dolphincity posted in it about shops closing down although we have another thread specifically for that, more negative, purpose.
    She starts at post 4, read reactions from other posters following her post.
    I asked for everyone to stay positive in post 18.
    I then named dolphincity specifically in post 35.
    In post 75 I told her to not post again as she clearly couldn't add anything useful to the discussion, other than doom and gloom.
    Thread was dormant a while before dolphincity brought it back to post names of more shops and places closing, further dragging thread down.
    She was reported and I banned her for posting when told not to, and also for consistently being a wet blanket in a happy purpose thread.

Visitor message on my wall from dolphincity, I've deleted it from wall but as she chose to post it in public rather than a PM I can repost it here:
    biko you seem to be on some ego trip as a moderator - you ban people according to how you are feeling on any particular day. Also forgive me but the boards are not my life - I cannot remember what you posted sometime in early december. I am now proceeding to report you and ask that YOU be banned as a moderator - it may not do any good now, but hopefully with more people reporting you, people will realise that you are actually ruining these boards - you are not a help, you are a hindrance. dictatorship is not a pleasant trait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

thank you for posting that biko - I would have posted that myself but when I was starting off on boards I did that and was told that I was not allowed - otherwise I would have for everyone to see.

did you ban everyone that spoke about places closing down - or was it just me?

where is the post for the closing down of business - when I looked I could not find that.

Please re-read the topic and see if you have told everyone that spoke of businesses closing down to stop posting or again, was it just the chosen few.

as stated in my previous post - you seem to do this a lot - with people who are not in your clique. You need to be monitored in the future to make sure you are operating using fair play. I hope the people moderating the moderaters read this. As I said before I am not the only one that has a problem with you - you have been posted about in threads in Galway city re. your behaviour (if you have not deleted it).

I don't mind who reads my posts - in fact I quite welcome it and would wish others would be more open.

as I said before - I can live with you banning me, not because of being rude, aggressive, racist, but funnily enough because you chose to provide your own rules on this forum - but remember you are ruining what is potentially a good galway thread, by people who have lived in galway probably far longer than you have, that can provide a different view to your view, and the probably knows a hell of a lot more about the place than you ever will - if you chose to ban people because they might be a threat to your opinions go ahead, but remember, you might get a few minutes satisfaction, but in the long run you are ruining the galway thread and people won't bother even visiting it in future, except of course the clique of your friends who you seem to let post what they want without a banning.

can you tell me what date post number 4, or post number 75 or the other ones quoted were posted. As I said previously I came back on boards after a long break yesterday and reposted on this thread. I did not realise that I had to keep every post in my head from months ago to satisfy you and your banning whip, but then again, I do have a life outside boards.

thank you for reading :p

Again, I would ask the people that make moderators, to check out how biko is running the Galway thread and form their own decision. Most of the time moderators are genuine in their efforts to keep a thread on an even keel, but you will get some that is just in it for the control and ego - biko seems to be one of these people.

The other Galway moderators seem to know how to manage a thread to keep it interesting and not abusive. However biko seems to be ban-happy and I would ask for the sake of the galway thread that his method be checked out.

I can live with the ban - i find the galway thread not very enjoyable because of this poster (which I have told him before) so its no major loss as you cannot have a decent thread in there anyway.

But for the sake of people that do like the Galway thread I would ask that they be allowed to voice an opinion without this person trying to control their thoughts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Right so you are not disputing the ban so we have no issue here.

You want me to look into a mods way of doing things as you do not agree with there method's.You really are going to have to provide example's of how you disagree with how biko is ruining the forum as otherwise it just looks like a rant.

Sorry, but I am not going to waste any time on biko and his ban-whip. Life's too short. I have advised about the situation. Maybe the moderators can keep an eye on the way he does things. Just keep it in mind for when other people complain about the way he dictates on the galway thread. sometimes it takes a few complaints before people can see the light.

as I have said before its probably the worst thread on boards.ie as a result of biko and his way of doing things and its no great loss to be banned from the galway thread - after all you can't get a proper debate going before biko comes with this ban stick.

and please don't take an authentic observation over the last few months as a "rant".

• Advertisement
Advertisement