Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lefthand accordion player?

Options
  • 06-01-2011 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Is it possible to play a accordion if your lefthanded? would it be the case of holding the accordion in the opposite position to that of a righthanded person?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

If you were to hold the accordion the opposite way around you'd have to turn it upside down and the buttons would be in the wrong place entirely. It wouldn't work I'm afraid. :)

You could just try to play it the regular way and see how you get on. A lot of left handed people play instruments that would rely more on their weaker hand and get on grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Gearoidk

im sure it would be possible to play it wit your right hand but if you were to play with the left and the accordion would have to be turned upsidedown......Ive a funny feeling it wouldnt work.......

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

As a leftie I'd agree with all the above, however it is possible.

Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea plays a button box left handed as you can see in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0SpwEdU5ak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Button or piano?

I play button left handed, had it built by Brendan Mulhere in Galway. Mine is a mirror image of a right handed one, low notes on the top, high on the bottom, B row outer C row inner.

The biggest job is the relocation of the air valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

trad wrote: »
    Button or piano?

I play button left handed, had it built by Brendan Mulhere in Galway. Mine is a mirror image of a right handed one, low notes on the top, high on the bottom, B row outer C row inner.

The biggest job is the relocation of the air valve.

This is the important part really. You'd probably have to get a left-handed accordion made. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

This is the important part really. You'd probably have to get a left-handed accordion made. :)

It's not that hard to do. You have to reverse the reed blocks (can't be a bit tricky) and relocate the air valve. I've converted a few since I bought my first one. A bit of time and patience.

A left handed hohner black dot sold on adverts recenty for €222, a bargain.

Advertisement