Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gaming - most fustrating experiences?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

HoN by a country mile - the amount of utter cretins who play this game is sickening. add to that the fact that there are apparently so many "wrong" ways to play the game. Never played a game that requires competent teammates as much - you rely so much on your teammates to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Playing with Marshbaboon on steam. Although the comedy value his antics provide more than make up.

He's never on anymore since he got a job and his xbox live. Fail marsh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

cojack101 wrote: »
    In any first person shooter.

Campers and Snipers. Where is the point in sitting in a room with a shotgun aiming at a doorway for 5 or 10 mins at a time waiting for a kill.

sniping is different from camping. In battlefield you can snipe from the very first base to the very last, it's so far back lag kicks in. Nothing like camping
    there are actually only two things in online gaming that annoy me.

1. people in battlefield 2 flying/driving/sailing off in vehicles at the start of a game that are designed to hold 4-10 people, so the rest of the team has to walk into combat.
    I always take the vehicle on my own, but i always play with mates, by the time they spawn in I'm either dead or have a good spawn point made. 4 in a boat = 4 less tickets if you go boom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I always take the vehicle on my own, but i always play with mates, by the time they spawn in I'm either dead or have a good spawn point made. 4 in a boat = 4 less tickets if you go boom

With something like a jeep yes thats the case but vehicles like tanks and choppers are more effective with a pilot/driver and someone manning the guns.

Some of the choppers have no guns in the cockpit so its pointless flying it without a couple of gunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭cojack101

Sorry I should have clarified on the Snipers Issue, because I use a bolt myself every now and then.

MW2 - Demolition - 3 pushing for the bomb and 3 people sniping. We can't get near the f***ing thing because the other team are protecting the bomb and our 3 snipers are no where near, not overlooking the bomb site.

MW2 (again) - Free For all - me, two other players and 9 Snipers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Press_Start

Oh I have a few :D

Company of Heroes: Seems to happen in all RTS's
    When someone has had a bit of a slip up, like lost a small attack, or something goes even slightly wrong, they leave or drop hack. ******s

MW2: When some smart little ****e starts mouthing off and acting tough, when he's about 14 years old, about how hes totally badass, and could kick my ass.
    When I get a decent streak/Ratio, and some little bastard accuses me of hacking or cheating.

Madden 11: Same as FIFA or PES, anything goes slightly wrong, and they quit.

BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I can imagine a lot of players getting frustrated but rarely would they end up like this guy (NSFW - Swearing):

For a moment I thought there're iron bars outside his window but realised they're just blinds. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Hercule wrote: »
    HoN by a country mile - the amount of utter cretins who play this game is sickening. add to that the fact that there are apparently so many "wrong" ways to play the game. Never played a game that requires competent teammates as much - you rely so much on your teammates to succeed.

HON - Great concept, very bad community.

I tried playing this again over the holidays and got fed up very quick. I set up a game labeled "noobs only, trying to learn how to play" with stats off and in casual mode and still got players freaking out at me for making mistakes.
    When I asked why they joined a game label for learners they replied "learners not tards". They then asked me if I was a learner, why did I pick hero X? ...because I didn't know what I was doing..?:rolleyes:

I read tutorials on how to not to piss off teammates. Basically said, don't feed the other team. So I held back didn't die and still got messages of:
    "You f***ing tard, I hope your f***ing mother dies". And I've still no idea why because they wouldn't tell me.

All of this on a game for noobs with stats turned off. This game really has attracted the most obnoxious nerds to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

HON - Great concept, very bad community.

I tried playing this again over the holidays and got fed up very quick. I set up a game labeled "noobs only, trying to learn how to play" with stats off and in casual mode and still got players freaking out at me for making mistakes.
    When I asked why they joined a game label for learners they replied "learners not tards". They then asked me if I was a learner, why did I pick hero X? ...because I didn't know what I was doing..?:rolleyes:

I read tutorials on how to not to piss off teammates. Basically said, don't feed the other team. So I held back didn't die and still got messages of:
    "You f***ing tard, I hope your f***ing mother dies". And I've still no idea why because they wouldn't tell me.

All of this on a game for noobs with stats turned off. This game really has attracted the most obnoxious nerds to it.
    hey I recently started playing ! and am in the same boat, add me "Known" and we can have a few practice games when we are both on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

there are actually only two things in online gaming that annoy me.

1. people in battlefield 2 flying/driving/sailing off in vehicles at the start of a game that are designed to hold 4-10 people, so the rest of the team has to walk into combat.

The reverse used drive me nuts, you're waiting in the copter meanwhile you've 8-10 guys queuing for a plane on a carrier. Used drive me berserk on wakeisland, your team is getting creamed and you've 10 muppets fighting over a jet. I saw 1 muppet lay C4 around where the jet would spawn, threatening to set it off if anyone else got in the jet as it was his turn. why anyone would fight to get raped by the J10's baffled me.

The whole "you shot therefore you're a hacker" mentality bugs the crap out of me bigtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

GO_Bear wrote: »
    hey I recently started playing ! and am in the same boat, add me "Known" and we can have a few practice games when we are both on :)

Will do. Don't know when I'll be on again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

The best way to deal with angry ear bashers is to laugh at them and continue to kill them, If they start sending you abusive messages, Start winding them up even more with 'I love you' replies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I was playing against some American kid in Super SFIV, and he would rage like no tomorrow everytime I threw him.

I actually tried winning an entire round with just throws to piss him off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

As bad as fùckers can be online, nothing beats riling up those same ones. Especially when they have an awful temper, I love to see how far you can push their anger by doing silly little irritating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Playing Borderlands at the moment (anyone up for a game please add me PSN Sarumite).

I usually play with some friends, though they are not always available. So I either start a public game or enter someones else. When not playing with friends, its frustrating as hell as their are total weapon hogs. It becomes a race to get the dropped weapon, which distracts people from playing the game. Some people are even happy to let you die so they can collect the loot rather than revive you and risk sharing it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Had someone complain I was aimbotting in TF2 after I shot a cloaked spy. I'm still confused as to how he thought that as I was bottom of the scoreboards, even after I told him it was just a lucky shot.

Anyway, my most frustrating experience online in a game would probably be L4D2.
    Most of the time it's great fun, but I despise the idiot server mods who load every single plugin they can find on the server, the people who list a server as private and then compain when you join them, saying that the server is "private" and those who just rush (1 guy stood out for me about this, he was rushing all the time, leaving me to die a lot. When I left him to die, he bitched, insulted me and initiated a votekick).
    Luckily, however, in my short time playing, this was not a common occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Generally I find it frustrating when your playing any team shooter and one team mate decides to kill everyone else on your team + people on headsets that act they have a devine right to be leader and issue orders to everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

My main online playing experience is on MW2 on XBL, and the amount of people who think you're hacking when you do good is retarded. I've had people submit complaints and negative player reviews because of it! But it is fun killing them over, and over, and over... :D Plus most of my rage moments are in this game because of (see below).

Also, LAG pishes me right off. I was in an apartment up to December 09 and i had UPC 30mb, andi was getting 28Mb Download and 956k Upload, Ping <5ms (first on the line with 2 other connections sharing the line :) ), and online was fantastic. Now in the house i bought i can't get UPC so i'm stuck with meh Imagine 7Mb... Lag ruined Blops for me. I may have played longer if it wasn't for the lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Modern Warfare 2 was the most frustrating online game I've ever played. It was like everyone just went for kills and didn't care about the objective of the game mode. So most of the time you be the only one trying to capture the flag, capture the points, etc. while your team mates are trying to do pointless 360 spin no scopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Modern Warfare 2 was the most frustrating online game I've ever played. It was like everyone just went for kills and didn't care about the objective of the game mode. So most of the time you be the only one trying to capture the flag, capture the points, etc. while your team mates are trying to do pointless 360 spin no scopes.

capping flags and defending HQ's is for noobs, you're not a great player unless you can get 1 great gamewinning killcam. despite having died a dozen times trying to get that perfect spinny noscope, its what gives you Ski1llzzZZ y'see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 First Post

BFBC2 - *Get out of the tank to repair* <BUZZZZZZZZ> "Wait, HEY DON'T DRIVE OFF WHAT ARE YOU DOING! NO!" *Tank explodes*.

Halo Reach - *Full mag into enemy* *Armor lock* I shall wait *8 grenades land beside me* ****!

BlOps - Humiliating campers, "OMG ANOTHER TOMAHAWK WTF!? YOU'RE HACKING".

That's just the start of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I gave up trying to play any public matches on xbox live over a year ago.
    Too many asshats, sick of having to change my avatar to male and not use the headset.
    I was playing L4D2 and after it was too awkward with out the head set and as soon as
    my voice was heard it became a total cluster****. Started with who let thier sister/gf/mam on thier head set and ended up with them tkling me so they could siad they 'raped' me.

Seem most console noobs have no class, no manners, no idea of tatics or teamwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

things that happen in 90% of HoN games:
    (keep in mind that Im not playing noob only games and am apparantly lining up with people of the same skill)

*people refusing to concede when a game is clearly over. this generally happens when someone knows it was their fault that they lost the game. Their ego gets hurt so they need a mental "win" so they decide to waste their team mates time out of a weird form of spite. this is the most common form of retardism in HoN.

*people picking the wrong heroes simply because they want to 'be the man'. there are a few types of hero and out of 5 you always need 1 carry. of course, if you have a setup that works you can always rely on someone to completely **** that up because they feel begrudged that they have to play a class where they wont look as good as they think they are ("i want killlssssss!!!!")

*people raging at you for not following them to their (obvious) death. HoN is a pretty fast game and you have to pay attention to what the enemy are up to. some people though think "im so fukin good that if i just charge in ill win cos im great" so you often have people not thinking things out and baiting bad fights. even if you say it to them you get ignored and when 3 guys hop on their hero they start screaming and shouting at you that you did nothing to help. generally, this person will then not concede OR they will go the other route and start counter-playing by not co-operating with the team.

*being forced to play ****ty lanes because people are greedy and if there are 2+ guys who are together on your team they tend to shaft the other team mates and try and stick them in a lane that doesnt make sense. then when the inevitable happens they start raging at you for dieing and for "failing" when they arent willing to lift a finger to help you out. they would actually prefer to annoy you and shout at you then to help you.

of course there are many variations of the above but the point is that it is just about every game. if its not happening to you then its happening to the other team. some things that happen are just pants-on-head retarded and would have to be seen to be believed. the absolute #1 thing wrong with HoN is the people that play it. amazingly, i have found recently that playing on US East servers is a lot better. americans tend to be more talkative and a lot nicer and just better to play with. even if you lose its actually ok as long as you werent an idiot. europeans seem to be a bit more mental and their completely retarded sense of humour doesnt help.
    oh and in all cases - Russians are to be avoided like the plague

past 2 days ive played 11 games. out of those, 10 of them had people raging and not conceding when the game was clearly over. 9 had people picking the wrong heroes and making retarded lanes. 9 had players in games well beyond their level. and they have all been on my team :) people laugh when they say "i have no luck" when it comes to games, but its honestly true. its the daily "what retards will i get today" routine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Well with game publishers cutting clans out of the loop so that they can no long have thier own servers which can be moderated it's looking pretty bleak out there for online gaming unless you have a game date organised wtih your mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Americans(for the most part) do not take it very well when you beat them in any american football games. Having some amount of rage quitting.

Had a guy quit cos i was up by one score with a minute to go, yet straight after i had a guy sit through a 68(or so) - 0 score while having a laugh on the mic about it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,788 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Played FIFA11 last night, said I'd have a quick game. First game, I scored 2 goals in the first 30 minutes, and the guy quit. So I started messaging him:

Me: sore loser
    Him: other people quit when I'm winning so why can't I?
    Me: because I wouldn't have quit I you were winning. So what if you lose? Just play the game
    Him: alright, let's play again. I'll let you score 2 before we play properly
    Me: fairs fair, let's just start again 0-0

We start playing again. 1-1 coming up to half time

'Connection Lost'

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

It was a fault on my end, so now I come across as a jackass. Talk about bad timing

just got raged at there for supporting too much and winning a game in 15 mins. apparantly i did it wrong.

im just gonna use this thread to show ppl just how retarded HoN players are

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

The wonderful thing about HoN is you would think the higher skill level you get to the retard frequency decreases -Unfortunately a different level of asshatery rears its ugly head at higher points - and it goes all the way to the top where the top teams trollface.jpg each other and smack talk in major cup games.

In HoN I am usually quite civil about my abuse - I certainly rage but usually with an aim, not just nonsensical abuse - if someone is being wrong in an online game, its my duty as a good denizen of the internetz to tell them that they are wrong and need to check themselves before they wreck themselves - My level of abuse escalates slowly from " helpful advice from someone that knows better" to "OMFG GET a F****** CLUE U INBRED C***"

The Latent racism is a big one too -although since the language barrier can be so large, sometimes spewing abuse all over johnny foreigner is all that gets through to them - its the equivalent of rubbing a dogs nose in its own poop so it gets an understanding that pooping on the carpet is not acceptable*

I cringe if I see country flags from certain countries on my team - likewise I am fairly confident of a win or at least having teammates that communicate effectively if I land in a team full of Finnish/Swedish/Norwegian/Danish flags (to a lesser extent UK/Dutch/Germany)

also 4/5 concede after 30 mins thank god for that.

*never actually done this to a dog, but I am told it is an effective way to teach them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that it go so much worse once Xbox Live started up?

Advertisement