Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route, 2011.

• 06-01-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭

Hey.. I know there was already a thread made but it was about applying from different years, etc, so I said I'd make this thread for anyone who's applying for HEAR in 2011.

I applied just now, but the thing that really shocked me was how quickly I was done filling it out, I just feel as if I'm after missing a whole other page or something. :confused: Like, I wasn't asked about earnings in detail or anything, and was just told to send one form off. Does anyone know anything about it? I'll be able to show my brother on Friday when he's home as he's on the HEAR scheme so he'll know about the applying, thankfully!

So yeah, is anyone else applying for it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Bump :o Does anyone know is it late June when you find out if you've been accepted or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

i applied too! i dont know when we hear back from it or not..
    i found i filled out the forms really quickly too... i hope im not missing any :confused:

Me too! I hope I sent off all the correct documents too, if I haven't, I'll be sickened!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

me too haha. as far as i know you are given a letter along with your offers telling you if you got the scheme or not.

I think you get a letter in late June telling you if you're accepted actually! So we'll know in about a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I've applied. Looked over everything a million times so hopefully everything is in order.

flyaway. wrote: »
    I've applied. Looked over everything a million times so hopefully everything is in order.

Same. I'm still terrified I've done something wrong though!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Same. I'm still terrified I've done something wrong though!

Me too! I'm always paranoid about this sort of thing. I'm sure we've done it right though! It was pretty straight forward- so straight forward it makes you question if you've left something out. :confused:

flyaway. wrote: »
    Me too! I'm always paranoid about this sort of thing. I'm sure we've done it right though! It was pretty straight forward- so straight forward it makes you question if you've left something out. :confused:

Exactly! I sent off their own forms that you print off their site, along with the originals from the departments, so I *hope* I included enough in it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

I applied too :D but i thought that you have to apply by 1st of March and send all supporting documents by 1 of April. Am I wrong ? I know that we will get the letters from HEAR late june - after the leaving cert. So just afterwords we will know are we eligible or not .... I hope I am anyway ....

• Advertisement

Yup they all had to be sent off by April!

The anticipation of waiting! :P My brother got it last year, and circumstances haven't changed so hopefully I should get it..

szybki wrote: »
    I applied too :D but i thought that you have to apply by 1st of March and send all supporting documents by 1 of April. Am I wrong ? I know that we will get the letters from HEAR late june - after the leaving cert. So just afterwords we will know are we eligible or not .... I hope I am anyway ....

You're right, everything had to be in by April 1st. :)

I'm surprised but happy to hear it's late June when we'll be notified. I thought we wouldn't find out until we got our results!

no no .... you'll get the letter at the end of june stating are you eligable or not. That's all. if you become eligable you'll get second letter from hear at the time of the offers which is .... middle august or so .....

no no .... you'll get the letter at the end of june stating are you eligable or not. That's all. if you become eligable you'll get second letter from hear at the time of the offers which is .... middle august or so .....

Yeah I know? I'm not sure what you're correcting me on, haha. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think they're simply reassuring you on the "I thought we wouldn't find out until we got our results!" bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

so is theres no official date for finding out? just the end of june?

Nope, I don't think they ever give an official date for when they send the letters out!

On this - I thought we wouldn't find out until we got our results!

But anyway its doesn't matter !!! the most important thing is to be eligable and get your place on the course :D

On this - I thought we wouldn't find out until we got our results!

But anyway its doesn't matter !!! the most important thing is to be eligable and get your place on the course :D

You find out if you're accepted on to HEAR by the end of June!

In August when the CAO comes out, you find out if you've gotten a HEAR place on your course! If you're accepted to HEAR, and get the required points, you'll have a hear place, if you're accepted and get within the 90% or so of required points, you may receive a hear place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

When do they let you know if you have been accepted for the HEAR thing???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Dbstf wrote: »
    When do they let you know if you have been accepted for the HEAR thing???

wondering the same ....gf applied and she says she wont get her course without it...so fingers crossed....:p /bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

CAO Opens for 2011 applications-3 November 2010 at 12 noon
    HEAR application closing date-1 February 2011 at 5:15pm
    Supporting documentation closing date (return to CAO)-1 April 2011 at 5:15pm
    Applications are notified of their screening outcome (eligible / ineligible)-Late June 2011
    Request for application recheck-July 2011
    HEAR offers made to successful applicants-August 2011
    Applications accept their HEAR supported place through CAO & Access Service-August 2011

Um ... it's not useless.

It answers the question which was asked (and more besides).

no thats not what i meant his tag name is darius .....and thats my middle name lol:)

brownlad wrote: »
    wondering the same ....gf applied and she says she wont get her course without it...so fingers crossed....:p /bump

Even if she is accepted for hear, it doesn't guarantee she'll get her course, she has to compete with everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 clairecrilly

Question here; are there specific places reserved for HEAR students in college courses (like the Trinity Access Program yoke, I do believe), or is it just in the mix?

I don't see a problem with this anyway. Some people in society just get an extremely raw deal, so it makes sense to me that they be helped out. I don't think it's fair to say that some people underperform in the exams because they're lazy - if you want to take that attitude, then just put your work in and make sure you get a place over them - your school is probably better equipped, you probably have higher level classes available to you so you can actually GET a maximum of 600 points, you've got an advantage on them, so use it.
    I don't see anyone moaning about how unfair it is that they were born into luxury.

The problem is as usual with the difficulty in establishing just who actually needs the help. I think criteria of "earn <x amount", "underrepresented in college" etc., aren't perfect. Your parents could earn very little and have not gone to college etc. but are still extremely encouraging and create a home atsmophere condusive to studying, etc. Similarly, you could go to a non-designated school, and thus be seen as "well off enough", but in actuality not be, and be in dire need of such an assistance.
    Yeah, there's a limited number of places to be assigned to Hear and DARE applicants, so it's not like they're taking anybody elses place.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Probably a stupid question but do you have to meet the course requirements even if you get the HEAR scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

clonadlad wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but do you have to meet the course requirements even if you get the HEAR scheme?

Yeah it says you must meet the minimum course entry requirements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Any ideas of how much lower the points were last year for people who got a course through HEAR/DEAR ???

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Any ideas of how much lower the points were last year for people who got a course through HEAR/DEAR ???

Depends on the course.

If it's a 500 points course with an intake of 30/40 people, you could probably get in at 490/495 due to the numbers of people applying.

If it's an arts course or a business course with an intake of 400, where the points are 420, you could probably get in on 390 or so.

• Advertisement

Did any one get a letter today for hear....my gf got hers today and it says she's eligible....we might be able to go college together (:confused:) ( ye i really dont wanna go to the same college as her , story for another day )

did any one else get this letter ?

Advertisement