Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route, 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Anyone else get post? Got a letter a minute ago saying I am eligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just got a letter from Dare, stating that I am eligible, pretty happy, now it's wait and see...

I messed up the whole applciation form last year and was too late for entry, so it's a strange feeling one year on getting an accepted letter compared to the feeling of despair I had last year when it said it could do nothing. My typically disorganized self per usual :)

Good luck to everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Just got the letter from CAO , too bad i didn't get accepted for HEAR programme...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Just got a letter this morning saying that I'm eligible to compete for one of the HEAR places on offer. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Yes got mine this morning saying I'm eligible. There's already a long thread on this btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭crayon1

Not elligable! and really thought i would be! =((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

Im eligible!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Any ideas of how much lower the points were last year for people who got a course through HEAR/DEAR ???

I got 45 off mine last year.

crayon1 wrote: »
    Not elligable! and really thought i would be! =((

I'm fairly sure I read that you can appeal it if you think they made a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I understand the financial aid, but lowering the neccesary points is completely unfair on everyone else doing the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Lorthas

Hey, I got the HEAR letter today also, and while it says I'm eligible in two categories, in the social welfare category, it says my family was not under social welfare in 2009, when I know I was for a fact I was and I think my supporting documents prove that. (I think, I was definitely sure it did but now I'm obviously assuming I made some form of mistake, but I was meticulous in checking before I sent off)

I'm going to request a recheck, but I'm just asking if there's anything else I can do? It's not going to make a world of difference, but I am eligible for the scheme and feel I should be accepted.

EDIT : Nevermind, I'm not eligible, it's alright, as it won't make a major difference for the course I want to do.

Lorthas wrote: »
    Hey, I got the HEAR letter today also, and while it says I'm eligible in two categories, in the social welfare category, it says my family was not under social welfare in 2009, when I know I was for a fact I was and I think my supporting documents prove that. (I think, I was definitely sure it did but now I'm obviously assuming I made some form of mistake, but I was meticulous in checking before I sent off)

I'm going to request a recheck, but I'm just asking if there's anything else I can do? It's not going to make a world of difference, but I am eligible for the scheme and feel I should be accepted.

Yeah, just appeal it is all you can do really! They could have easily made an error and overlooked your documents or read them wrong. Talk to them about what documents they have belonging to you and make sure they're the ones you meant to send off. Hope it works out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I haven't HEARd anything yet. :( Oh now seriously I'm worried I because my mother had a lot more hours in 2009 than she does now - but she did get a means tested benefit...

I'll have to wait and see... :(

EDIT: It was wedged in my letterbox! I'm eligible! Wahey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

AdamD wrote: »
    I understand the financial aid, but lowering the neccesary points is completely unfair on everyone else doing the exams.

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

1st time i've seen this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

:deep breath:
    There's a certain number of places made available for the HEAR scheme that people to compete for, like mature student places. (Can someone sticky that info so the same arguement doesn't come up every few weeks?)

And I'm eligible ;)

Spaces which could be filled by others who got better results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

AdamD wrote: »
    Spaces which could be filled by others who got better results

Odds are most hear applicants have received the necessary points for their course. Its a competition between the applicants for the places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm eligible :).
    You know in the letter where it has a list of universities and it says residential/non-residential . Does that mean you have to stay there for the orientation if you get in there.
    What if you already live near or don't want to stay overnight (not saying I don't).
    What happens do you just meet other students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

:( Awwwww... I'm not eligible.. I meet factors 1,2 and 3 but not 4,5 or 6..!

What does Socio-Economic Grouping entail? Like my dad has never worked so I thought that met that requirement. It says that my socio economic grouping is "all others gainfully occupied".. anyone know what this means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Damn, why can't I be poor? :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I'm eligible :).
    You know in the letter where it has a list of universities and it says residential/non-residential . Does that mean you have to stay there for the orientation if you get in there.
    What if you already live near or don't want to stay overnight (not saying I don't).
    What happens do you just meet other students?

Which University have you applied for?

Just so everyone knows, I'm a Student Leader in the DIT Access Service, so I'll be there for the DIT orientation week. If anyone has any questions about it or needs any info with regards to getting there etc, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

Got confirmation today of eligiblity for both schemes. Does this mean an offer under each scheme if I'm successful? Which should I pick?

MichOS wrote: »
    Got confirmation today of eligiblity for both schemes. Does this mean an offer under each scheme if I'm successful? Which should I pick?

I don't think you will need to pick. Conformation of your eligibility will be sent by HEAR and DARE to the CAO directly. I assume they will pick one for you. Or maybe you might get on the schemes and get the benefits of both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Just so everyone knows, I'm a Student Leader in the DIT Access Service, so I'll be there for the DIT orientation week. If anyone has any questions about it or needs any info with regards to getting there etc, drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help.

DIT's hear program is very weird. You've to find your own accommodation if you're not from Dublin so realistically it'd cost you more than it's worth! :confused:

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    DIT's hear program is very weird. You've to find your own accommodation if you're not from Dublin so realistically it'd cost you more than it's worth! :confused:

True. With regard to accommodation, it's not great, to be fair. But its the week before College would begin anyway, so anyone from outside Dublin who would be starting would have accommodation sorted anyway I would hope.

No matter where you're from the Orientation Week won't give you any fiscal benefit, per say. That said, you will gain a lot of skills that will be invaluable to you throughout the year, and I think it's worth it personally. I'm not gonna give out any details of the specific things we do, they are still being finalised.

You will get free lunch everyday, and free diner one of the nights, if that's any consolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

DCU / NCI I probably more likely to get into nci hoping I'll get dcu. The DCU has the residential but I live like 10mins away and don't need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HEAR DIT

Hi CarDor and Lorthas,

If you have questions on why you are not eligible it is best to talk to someone in one of the colleges you are applying for. They will be able to tell you why you were deemed ineligible and if it is worth submitting a recheck.

Please see link to contacts:
    http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/contact.php

Cardor, SEG is explained on the Access College website:

To meet this indicator you must belong to a group that is under-represented in higher education based on the occupation and employment status of your parent(s) or guardian(s). At the moment the group includes non-manual workers; semi & unskilled manual workers and agricultural workers.

DCU / NCI I probably more likely to get into nci hoping I'll get dcu. The DCU has the residential but I live like 10mins away and don't need it.

Well best of luck with it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 helen001

I just recieved the letter saying im not eligible. i qualify for 1 and 2 but not 3 4 or 5 and I only need one of these..I dont understand as my sister qualified for this, and my father is a small farmer and it says this is not a socio economic group that is underrepresented in higher education.:(. How come agricultural workers are and farmers are'nt.My area is also only marginally above average as a disadvantaged area even tho it is an extreme rural area with no employment only a primary school.

Advertisement