Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route, 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

helen001 wrote: »
    I just recieved the letter saying im not eligible. i qualify for 1 and 2 but not 3 4 or 5 and I only need one of these..I dont understand as my sister qualified for this, and my father is a small farmer and it says this is not a socio economic group that is underrepresented in higher education.:(. How come agricultural workers are and farmers are'nt.My area is also only marginally above average as a disadvantaged area even tho it is an extreme rural area with no employment only a primary school.

If your sister qualified and circumstances have not changed since she applied, then I reckon you should appeal the decision. Worth a try. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HEAR DIT

Hi Helen,

Did you speak to a HEAR representative in one of the colleges about your application? They will be able to explain to you why you are ineligible in more detail.

Regarding your query about SEG, Farmers are a socio-ecomonic group that are not under represented in higher education. However, Agricultural workers are a separate socio-economic group and they are under represented in higher education.

Your letter will tell you what SEG group you are in.

Hope this information helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 helen001

Thank you. Ya i rang the ucc and ul access offices and they both said to appeal it. It says on my letter that my socio economic group is "farmers" and this group is not underrepresented in higher education:confused: This was def not a problem when my sister got it, it was more of a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Treblebass

Heya, just wondering if anyone knows exactly what HEAR does. If you get accepted can go get into University with lower points?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thank you. Ya i rang the ucc and ul access offices and they both said to appeal it. It says on my letter that my socio economic group is "farmers" and this group is not underrepresented in higher education:confused: This was def not a problem when my sister got it, it was more of a help.

If your parent owns a farm, it's completely different to being a farm worker, so maybe they mistook your sisters application as a farm worker rather than a farm owner!

• Advertisement

Treblebass wrote: »
    Heya, just wondering if anyone knows exactly what HEAR does. If you get accepted can go get into University with lower points?.

Hi Treblebass,

Info on HEAR benefits at:
    http://www.accesscollege.ie/hear/benefits.php

Is there anyone else you can phone apart from the access offices for more info on rechecks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irishcornflake

Anybody going to UCD orientation programme? Anybody know do you have to go for the full five days?

Is there anyone else you can phone apart from the access offices for more info on rechecks?

Hi Helen,
    The best people to talk to about rechecks are the HEAR representatives in the access offices. You can contact CAO but they will forward you directly to the access offices as they only give out general information on HEAR/DARE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Sarah93

I was accepted onto the HEAR program last year, my first choice was 425 points, I got 410 in my leaving but still got a place on that course. But just because you got accepted onto the HEAR scheme, it doesn't necessarily guarantee that you will get your first choice as there are only a few places for HEAR students on each course (roughly 5% of first years, which when it comes down to a single course isn't that much at all, there was only 2 HEAR places on my course, courses that take more will have more place, it's simple maths!).

The orientation week with Access (at DIT) took place the week before college began and I found it hugely beneficial. Yes, it was nerve-wracking the first day but it is a good way to make friends/acquaintances with other people doing similar courses to you and calms your nerves about starting college itself as it is a massive difference from secondary school.

I hope some of this helps.

If you weren't accepted onto the HEAR program due to a mistake you may have accidentally made when filling out the form despite having the chance to appeal, sadly, it won't make much, if any, difference as you are unable to correct any mistakes made when you appeal (therefore making the appeal process pointless in that respect, this happened to my (twin) sister last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mr_brightside

Hi just wondering does HEAR provide a grant? If so to what extent? Or does it help you when applying for county council grants and things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kochanyyy

I think this scheme is very unfair, I got my letter today and it says that I am eligible for indicator 1, 2, 3 but not for the 4th one. I was actually 99% sure that I will get it even my guidance counsellor said that I should be eligible, my parents never finished any college or any 3rd level institution, they work as taxi driver and assistant in dental clinic, I am the only one in the family who wants to go to college and how this is not the " underrepresenttive group " ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

kochanyyy wrote: »
    I think this scheme is very unfair, I got my letter today and it says that I am eligible for indicator 1, 2, 3 but not for the 4th one. I was actually 99% sure that I will get it even my guidance counsellor said that I should be eligible, my parents never finished any college or any 3rd level institution, they work as taxi driver and assistant in dental clinic, I am the only one in the family who wants to go to college and how this is not the " underrepresenttive group " ?

I understand how you feel. I wasn't accepted last year either and it really p***ed me off. The only thing you can do is have it rechecked (after contacting a HEAR representative to ensure you dont waste your time). If it turns out that you made a mistake on your application you'll have to do what I did and just re-apply this year. I was deemed eligible today.

def agree with you it's unfair,and we have to wait till adleast August now to know if we are eligible. I thought i would be elgible too they even said at the Hear advice clinic that I would be. It's such a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Great, I'm eligible. :) Super support as I'm not quite sure if I'll get the points for the course, I might be 5 under...

Now it's only a matter of waiting. Good luck to everyone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HOPEd

this is really weird... I wasnt egligible.... but Im egligible for 2,3,4, and 6 ???? Did they make a mistake :O :O

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

Hi...My first choice is 435 and I predict getting about 385 in my leaving..do you know if HEAR will shed 50 points off the course??? Or what is the maximum number of points HEAR will shed???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 coxy 132

most you be axcpet on all 6 things on the letter to get the momey

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi just wondering does HEAR provide a grant? If so to what extent? Or does it help you when applying for county council grants and things?

Yep it does. Once you get into College you will get an Access Cheque (or New Era Cheque from UCD) 3 times a year. The amount you get is different in each institution, and it has been cut from last year. I dont know if it works the same in each institution, but in DIT anyway you can also avail of free grinds if you get them through the Access Office.

If you are really stuck for cash at anytime throughout the year you can apply for the SAF (Student Assistance Fund). You will get more info on this at you're orientation week.
    Geard wrote: »
    Hi...My first choice is 435 and I predict getting about 385 in my leaving..do you know if HEAR will shed 50 points off the course??? Or what is the maximum number of points HEAR will shed???

It doesn't exactly work like that. Say hypothetically, there are 200 places on the course you want. HEAR will have 5% of those places reserved, so there are 10 HEAR places on your hypothetical course. The 10 people with the best points who applied for this course via the HEAR programme will be offered a place. If there are more that 10, anyone in position 11 or under on the list would not get the course.

coxy 132 wrote: »
    most you be axcpet on all 6 things on the letter to get the momey

If you were trying to say must you be accepted on all 6 things to get the money, then no. You have to meet one of the indicator combinations.

The Indicators are:
    1. Income
      • Your family income (in the year ended 31 December 2009) falls on or below the HEAR Income Limit.
    2. Medical Card
      • Your family has a Medical Card or GP Visit Card on 31 December 2010.
    3. Social Welfare Payment
      • Your family received a means-tested payment from the Department of Social Protection (formally Department of Social Welfare) for at least 26 weeks in 2009.
    4. Socio-Economic Group
      • You belong to a group that is under-represented in higher education based on the occupation and employment status of your parent(s) or guardian(s). At the moment the group includes non-manual workers; semi & unskilled manual workers and agricultural workers.
    5. School
      • You completed five years in a secondary school that takes part in the Delivering Equality of Opportunity in Schools (DEIS) scheme run by the Department of Education & Skills.
    6. Area
      • You live in an area (urban or rural) in which there is concentrated disadvantage and social exclusion - in other words, an area where, for example, there is high unemployment and poverty and very few facilities for the community.

The qualifying combinations are:

Indicator 1 + 2 AND 4 or 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 + 3 AND 4 or 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 + 4 AND 5 or 6
    Indicator 1 + 5 + 6

All this and a lot more is available on the on the Access College Website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

Anybody going to UCD orientation programme? Anybody know do you have to go for the full five days?

hopefuly I'll go. but it is nessesary that you will attend the FULL orientation week, otherwise you can loose your place in college

HOPEd wrote: »
    this is really weird... I wasnt egligible.... but Im egligible for 2,3,4, and 6 ???? Did they make a mistake :O :O

Hi,

You must meet Indicator 1 and a combination of two or more indicators to be eligible for HEAR.
    Based on the combination above you would have been eligible had you met indicator 1.
    Please contact a HEAR representative if you are unsure as to why you did not meet indicator 1. They will be able to advise you whether you should ask to get your application rechecked.

Geard wrote: »

Hi Geard,
    It depends on the college and the course you are applying to in terms of how many points will be reduced. At this stage nobody knows how many points any course place will be reduced by. It is not until August that even the colleges know this.
    However, given the experience of previous years, the access office in the college you are applying to might be able to give you some indication of the overall points reduction for a particular course. This would however only be at very best a guideline and could change in August.
    Also don't forget you must meet the Minimum entry requirements to be considered for a HEAR offer.

Hope this helps answer your question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lilyos

Hi. Got a letter yesterday too saying i am eligible!! :) Yeah!
    My course is 435 points and was just wondering if i get 435 points or 440 points will i still be accepted as part of the HEAR programme or will i just be accepted cause i got the points needed.....or do u have to get under the 435 points??

lilyos wrote: »
    Hi. Got a letter yesterday too saying i am eligible!! :) Yeah!
    My course is 435 points and was just wondering if i get 435 points or 440 points will i still be accepted as part of the HEAR programme or will i just be accepted cause i got the points needed.....or do u have to get under the 435 points??

You will still be accepted under the HEAR programme, and receive all the supports that go with it. You wont be penalised for doing well in your Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lilyos

You will still be accepted under the HEAR programme, and receive all the supports that go with it. You wont be penalised for doing well in your Leaving Cert.

Thats a relief...haha was thinking that myself....but still worried i might not get the points....will have to wait until the 17th of August haha :) Thanks!!

kochanyyy wrote: »

Hi,

Sorry to read that you were ineligible and think the scheme is unfair. The SEG indicator is based on what socio economic groups are underrepresented in higher education. Unfortunatley based on your parent's occupations you do not fall into one of these groups. If you think a mistake was made in coding your parent's occupations you can submit a recheck.

def agree with you it's unfair,and we have to wait till adleast August now to know if we are eligible. I thought i would be elgible too they even said at the Hear advice clinic that I would be. It's such a let down.

Hi Helen,
    Sorry to see you feel let down by the process. The reason recheck outcome letters are not posted until late July/early August is that HEAR wants to ensure every applicant who has applied for a recheck gets a thorough rescreening so that no errors are made.
    Advice clinics are there to answer questions people have about the application form and what supporting dicuments they need to send in. Advisors there cannot assess as they don't have a full application to assess.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭paperpackages

I was hoping someone could help me out here... I'm eligible for HEAR, got the letter during the week but have a problem with the orientation days. The college I aim to go to has residential on it, meaning that I have to stay overnight. Thing is, I live 10 minutes away and really don't see the point of staying in that case. Also, my debs is on during that week, and of course I'll need a whole day in preparation! So will they let me out? And I really don't know what the orientation entails, would love to get an idea if anyone can help...

• Advertisement

I was hoping someone could help me out here... I'm eligible for HEAR, got the letter during the week but have a problem with the orientation days. The college I aim to go to has residential on it, meaning that I have to stay overnight. Thing is, I live 10 minutes away and really don't see the point of staying in that case. Also, my debs is on during that week, and of course I'll need a whole day in preparation! So will they let me out? And I really don't know what the orientation entails, would love to get an idea if anyone can help...

Hi Paperpackages,

You will have to talk to your college to get exact details, but you really should stay over. It will make getting to know people a lot easier and besides that it's just good craic. Again, I obviously can't speak for the Institution you're attending, but there will more than likely be no problem getting the day off for your debs.

Orientation is basically just a series of ice breakers to get to know everyone in your group, then you will learn skills essential for college life, like how to use the Colleges IT systems, how to budget, how to use the library etc. Then there are some fun tasks aswell that just make you get to know everyone in your group.

You really should stay over during the orientation, you will probably make some good friends during it, and having a couple of friends in college before you even start is a very valuable thing.

Advertisement