Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route, 2011.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cal Lightman

Hi,
    Just wondering, if an orientation programme is 'residential' does that mean that we have to get student accommodation on campus?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Hi,
    Just wondering, if an orientation programme is 'residential' does that mean that we have to get student accommodation on campus?

You'll be given campus accommodation for the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

is it girl with girl and lads with lads? ... Cause my gf is going and im wondering :P

brownlad wrote: »

is it girl with girl and lads with lads? ... Cause my gf is going and im wondering :P

:)

Depends on the college I think. I only know about UCD as my mate went there, and that was girls with girls and lads with lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LouiseOD

Hey! I'm eligible and was talking to a friend (who is also eligible) last week about it. We're both applying for the same course but she seemed to think that I would get the course before her because I meet more of the indicators, whereas she only met the minimum. Is this true?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

LouiseOD wrote: »
    Hey! I'm eligible and was talking to a friend (who is also eligible) last week about it. We're both applying for the same course but she seemed to think that I would get the course before her because I meet more of the indicators, whereas she only met the minimum. Is this true?

Thanks!

No, its the points and requirements race now for yous two. The higher points will take the place if they meet the requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LouiseOD

unknown13 wrote: »
    No, its the points and requirements race now for yous two. The higher points will take the place if they meet the requirements.

Thought so! Ah well, I think it was more wishful thinking on my part (she is bound to get it before me!) :D

Thank You for your help! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

In Trinners that didn't apply if ye lived in Dublin. Not sure about the other colleges i.e. if ye live within the same city ye don't get accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HEAR20

Hi,
    I've applied for the HEAR Scheme for medicine 2011 and after getting my hpat results I am hoping to get a place to study medicine through the HEAR Scheme in September. I have just been offered a job by my uncle to work in London for half of July and all of August, this would mean that I would be unable to make the orientation week for the HEAR Scheme. If there is anybody out there who has gone through the HEAR Scheme could you let me know if there is any flexibility on the orientation week or if you miss it are you automatically ineligible for the scheme ie. can they just take your place from you if you miss the week?
    Thanks.

HEAR20 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've applied for the HEAR Scheme for medicine 2011 and after getting my hpat results I am hoping to get a place to study medicine through the HEAR Scheme in September. I have just been offered a job by my uncle to work in London for half of July and all of August, this would mean that I would be unable to make the orientation week for the HEAR Scheme. If there is anybody out there who has gone through the HEAR Scheme could you let me know if there is any flexibility on the orientation week or if you miss it are you automatically ineligible for the scheme ie. can they just take your place from you if you miss the week?
    Thanks.

I only have expedience with DIT, which obviously isn't where your going for medicine. There, the rule is be there or have a bloody good excuse, as far as I know. A good excuse would be "I was having major heart surgery"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I am getting a bit worried to be honest. Will other people in college know I'm on HEAR? I have already had people tell me how stupid, ridiculous and unfair the scheme is and quite honestly I don't think I can put up with the judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

The only people I told were people I considered friends and then they acted like complete idiots about it. Guess I just won't do that in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cal Lightman

Does anyone know if HEAR is counted as 'Financial Assistance' when applying for the County Council grant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

Does anyone know if HEAR is counted as 'Financial Assistance' when applying for the County Council grant?

As well as that does anybody know if this needs to be included on the maintenance grant form if you were rejected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HEAR DIT

flyaway. wrote: »
    I am getting a bit worried to be honest. Will other people in college know I'm on HEAR? I have already had people tell me how stupid, ridiculous and unfair the scheme is and quite honestly I don't think I can put up with the judgement.

Hi Flyaway,
    Other students will not know you are an Access student or have gotten a place through HEAR unless you choose to tell them. Many applicants are anxious about this before they begin college but by the time they are in second or third year (and often earlier) the vast majority do not care who knows they got a place in college through the HEAR scheme. During the orientation programme students meet loads of other students in the same boat as them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 HEAR DIT

Cardor wrote: »
    As well as that does anybody know if this needs to be included on the maintenance grant form if you were rejected?

Being eligible/ineligble for HEAR does not effect your entitlement to the maintenance grant in any way. It is and should be viewed as a separate application.

We would advise students that it is not neceassary to mention HEAR eligibility when applying for the Maintenance grant. From a very practical point of view many eligible HEAR students accept offers that are from other colleges not involved in HEAR and therefore do not avail of any HEAR funding.

For anyone applying for a Maintenance grant please apply early. The applicatiion form is available now.

Info available at:
    http://www.studentfinance.ie/mp7232/maintenance-grant/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

Thank you for your reply, Grand Rajnah, very helpful! I found this online the other day when I was looking for similar information on UCC courses. Might be useful to someone on here, it's the DARE and HEAR 2011 entry requirements for UCD courses, including details of points reductions. If anyone out there knows of anything like this for UCC, I'd love to know. (The wait until Monday is painful! :) )
    http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/UCD%20DARE%20&%20HEAR%20Entry%20Requirements_2011.xls (opens as a separate Excel document).

Does anyone know what happens to your place on HEAR if you defer your course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

MichOS wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, Grand Rajnah, very helpful! I found this online the other day when I was looking for similar information on UCC courses. Might be useful to someone on here, it's the DARE and HEAR 2011 entry requirements for UCD courses, including details of points reductions. If anyone out there knows of anything like this for UCC, I'd love to know. (The wait until Monday is painful! :) )
    http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/UCD%20DARE%20&%20HEAR%20Entry%20Requirements_2011.xls (opens as a separate Excel document).

So does that mean say for example people who applied for Undergrad med got 20% off whatever the previous years results were?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Jaafa wrote: »
    So does that mean say for example people who applied for Undergrad med got 20% off whatever the previous years results were?

No.. It means 20% off is the minimum you may get in on, but what people actually get in on is 3/4% off!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Do I need to go through HEAR if I got enough points for my course? I am 30 points over what I need.

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    No.. It means 20% off is the minimum you may get in on, but what people actually get in on is 3/4% off!

oh like my ex gf got 365 and arts in ucd last year was 365...and she got acceptd on hear dya think she will get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

brownlad wrote: »
    oh like my ex gf got 365 and arts in ucd last year was 365...and she got acceptd on hear dya think she will get it?

Well arts is a massive course, so you'd probably get in with 10-15% if not 20% less than the points, so she should be perfectly fine for it!

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Well arts is a massive course, so you'd probably get in with 10-15% if not 20% less than the points, so she should be perfectly fine for it!

dammit :/ lol

AgathaK wrote: »
    Do I need to go through HEAR if I got enough points for my course? I am 30 points over what I need.

You just won't get the reduced points bit since you don't need it. But you'll still be on the HEAR scheme if you're eligible and will get all the other help on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭GV_NRG

can someone please just sumarise everything HEAR can do for us? :)

Their website says:
    As well as receiving a reduced points place, HEAR Students may also receive a variety of academic, personal and social supports while studying at third level.

Each college and university will decide what supports it can offer depending on its policies, practices and the resources available to it.

Examples of the type of supports available include:

Orientation programmes to introduce students to university or college
    Extra tuition if needed
    Help with study skills and exam preparation
    One-to-one meetings with student advisors,
    Social gatherings,
    Mentoring
    Advice about grants and scholarships
    Bursaries when available.
    You can find more information about the supports available for HEAR students on the access website of each college or university.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Extempore

Right so, the eager CAO offers are on the horizon and I'm excited but majorly confused about one thing. I applied for HEAR when filling out my CAO and got a letter about two months ago to say I was eligable.

But how exactly does HEAR work? Does it take a certain percentage of my LC points and add them to my "gross points" to increase my chances of getting a place or do points for the course get dropped by a certain amount for HEAR applicants? Or are both these wrong?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just an anxious post-Leaving Cert idiot at this point! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    There's no list. Nobody in my class had a clue what HEAR even was. I told anyone who asked. It was usually when they were comparing HPAT scores and I said 707, they were like, how?!. I got no bad reactions whatsover.

Advertisement