Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Education Access Route, 2011.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Extempore wrote: »
    Right so, the eager CAO offers are on the horizon and I'm excited but majorly confused about one thing. I applied for HEAR when filling out my CAO and got a letter about two months ago to say I was eligable.

But how exactly does HEAR work? Does it take a certain percentage of my LC points and add them to my "gross points" to increase my chances of getting a place or do points for the course get dropped by a certain amount for HEAR applicants? Or are both these wrong?

Excuse my ignorance, I'm just an anxious post-Leaving Cert idiot at this point! :rolleyes:
    Say theres 4000 people accepted onto the HEAR programme in Ireland. 200 of those apply for pharmacy in TCD. Say there's 6 places on the HEAR programme for that course. Those 200 people will compete against each other, with regards to LC points only, and those 6 who got the most points will get the course. Applies to all courses :)

^^beat me to it, by a minute :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

flyaway. wrote: »
    Their website says:
    The main bits are the extra grant that you get and the extra week of orientation. In nearly every college now you do a week of orientation the week before freshers week. It's with other HEAR students, and they have lots of activities and shtuff. Can't think of anything else useful, that I availed of anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

Only just enough points for course, going on last year's numbers as a guide. 40 off for first choice, exactly on points for 2nd and 3rd choices. Eligible for both DARE and HEAR offers. How do they do this? If points are around the same, am I more likely to be offered DARE/HEAR for my 1st choice, or more likely to get regular offer for 2nd/3rd choice? I spoke to Access office staff recently and they said you get separate offers, regular, DARE and HEAR. Will all these be available on Monday? I'm confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Grand, thanks. Will Monday ever come? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

you don't get separate offers for hear/dare, it all just goes through the cao in one offer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ak4

anyone on here apply for the hear scheme with marketing innovation and technology in dcu ?

Got online offer of second choice (which was lately actually first choice, having changed my mind after the change of mind!!) and have accepted it but it didn't say whether it was DARE, HEAR or ordinary. Suppose I'll find out in the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

Morning! lol

Would really appreciate a reply, eh, I got 375 points which was enough for my 3rd choice of Arts (345). But in the offer im getting my 1st choice of Commerce (425), which you'll notice is much higher than my tally. Has the HEAR scheme let me in on 50 less points or am I seeing things in these early hours lol

• Advertisement

That180Guy wrote: »
    Morning! lol

Would really appreciate a reply, eh, I got 375 points which was enough for my 3rd choice of Arts (345). But in the offer im getting my 1st choice of Commerce (425), which you'll notice is much higher than my tally. Has the HEAR scheme let me in on 50 less points or am I seeing things in these early hours lol

haha ur not seeing things....i got 55 off my choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I was eligible but I had 25 points extra than I needed for my course so didn't need reduced points. Does this mean I'm not on HEAR or what? I couldn't see anything about it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

HOW DYA KNO IF U GOT A HEAR OFFER AND NOT A CAO OFFER?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

ak4 wrote: »
    haha ur not seeing things....i got 55 off my choice

Brilliant, i can finally sleep now lol, cheers
    I was eligible but I had 25 points extra than I needed for my course so didn't need reduced points. Does this mean I'm not on HEAR or what? I couldn't see anything about it there.

My understanding is that you still get all the support and shizz, there's nothing there about it for me either which is why im confused

I was eligible but I had 25 points extra than I needed for my course so didn't need reduced points. Does this mean I'm not on HEAR or what? I couldn't see anything about it there.[/QUOTE
    we will be contacted by post so dont worry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CF_Hoop

Woooo! HEAR scheme for Science in UCD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

CF_Hoop wrote: »

WHAT POINTS DID YOU GET?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Got 5 points off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CF_Hoop

brownlad wrote: »
    CF_Hoop wrote: »

WHAT POINTS DID YOU GET?

400, have to say I'm delighted! It was the only course I didn't get the points for and the one I wanted most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

got 30 points off for Social Science in UCC :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Just so you know lads, if you were accepted for HEAR a few months ago, and you're offered a course, you're going through HEAR for that course. Even if you don't need a points drop, you're still in for HEAR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mother_Bear

Hey, I'm kinda new to this.. But when saw this post decided to join :) I'm also eligible for HEAR, and just accepted a HEAR offer. I am just filling out my course acceptance form, and one of the questions is about recieving other student financial assistance.. Does HEAR offer financial assistance? And how much? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Solus01

Just have two quick questions about applying for the HEAR scheme (for 2012)
    -For the Socio-Economic indicator, do both your parents have to meet the requirement or just one of them?
    -For the area indicator is there any way to check does your address meet this indicator? Or do you just have to send of the application and hope?
    Thanks for your help :D

Advertisement