Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

list of prices for doing alterations...

• 06-01-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    can anyone give me a list of prices for doing alterations on clothes...
    i am thinking about setting up my own business and want an rough idea of how to charge..
    i have recently being made redundant and am looking to get into this area....i have over 15-20 years experience
    thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Freaky, I just logged on with the intention to start a thread looking for someone to do alterations! Can I be your first customer!? :D
    (I'm afraid all I have at the moment is a dress and a skirt with zips that need replacing, not very substantial)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

http://www.thezipyard.ie/services_and_Pricing

This group have a lot of franchises all over the country including Dublin.

However, if you have skills, it can be difficult to get dress-makers at times and there might be a niche there, particularly for debs dresses. A lot of places are only interested in the quick turnover stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Used to do this a long time ago, one thing I learned:

Make your customers sign a sheet detailing your liability in relation to their garment.

Get the details they want done on paper and get them to sign it. If you deliver this then you are fine.

If the item is damaged in your position then you are liable.

If they are not happy with the alteration, refer to the agreed statement of work. You will not have to pay for restoration or further alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

thebourke wrote: »
    Hi,
    can anyone give me a list of prices for doing alterations on clothes...
    i am thinking about setting up my own business and want an rough idea of how to charge..
    i have recently being made redundant and am looking to get into this area....i have over 15-20 years experience
    thanks
    Well firstly can I ask you are located. I have got a lot of things altered/mended and went to two different locations, the first place charged me a lot for what she did. I have since found a lovely lady who charges anything up to 10 euro. It all depends on what I want altering. Does this help? Good luck with this a lot more people are now getting things mended as they cannot afford to buy new clothes.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I've no experience in that area, other than as a customer.

I just go to a family friend who does it on the side rather than as a business so the prices will probably be cheaper than most.

Recently I had the sleeves shortened on three jackets and a dress (not mine :) ) hemmed up.

Total cost was 45E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 6205dan

How did your new business venture go? I need a few alterations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Hi 6205dan - Welcome to Boards.

When replying to a thread, it's worth taking note of the original dates on the thread. In this case, the thread you've replied to is over 6 years old, and may no longer be relevant. In general we do not encourage the resurrection of these "zombie" threads.

In this case, I'm going to close off the thread

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement