Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sleeping through the night @ 1yrs.

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My daughter Lucy just turned 1 on the 17th of December and unfortunately she still wont sleep fully through the night. We have tried everything we can think to get her to. She wakes between 8 and 9 times from the time she goes down (@ 7.30pm) till we go to bed ourselves which is fine just pop her soother back in and shes grand, but the problem is shes waking up between 4-5am full of beans fresh as a daisy and will not go back asleep unless you rock her back to sleep in your arms which always works but my god both myself and my husband are exhausted. We have started to cut her daytime nap down to one 45mins nap. And we have been giving her a relaxing bath before bed with a couple of drops of lavender on her mattress but nothings working.
    We tried the tough love and leave her cry method but the problem is if we leave her too long at it she wakes her 4yr old sister.

HELP!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Sorry I cant offer any practical help - just sympathy. My now 2.5yr old also woke several times a night till he was almost 2. He also wakes at 5am most mornings even now. Although hes gone to waking for 2 hours in the night then going back to sleep and waking at 7:30 / 8am the past couple of weeks.
    No doubt his sleep pattern will change again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I can't offer any help either, just to echo Fran79 above and say you are not alone! My two year old still doesn't sleep through the night... Never really has... but it's gotten to a point now where she will go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 1 or 2 and scream until I give in and bring her downstairs for fear of waking my ten month old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Our little boy is 16months old and wasn't sleeping thru the night up until about 4 months ago and our GP suggested that we let him have longer naps during the day. This way he enjoys sleep and he tends to sleep better at night. He's extremely energetic. It seems to have worked for us. It may just be coincidence too. We let him stay up til between 8 and 9pm and he's shattered and falls asleep within seconds of being put in the cot now. This is great considering we didnt get a full nights sleep once during his first year. Good luck op. I feel your pain and been there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

my 20 month old son is the same now always waking up,never happened during the summer though,could it be the cold??

• Registered Users Posts: 16 clionaerin

Thanks for that, I dont think it would be the cold in my case as she has never gone through the night since she was born, what a nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Hi OP - so sorry you have to go through this. It is so exhausting and if you're exhausted everything else just seems so difficult.
    My little fella was like this. He's 21 months now but he was almost 14 months before he slept through the night.
    The only thing that worked was the controlled crying method.
    I know you have said this can't be done because of your 4 year old - is there anyone who could take your 4 year old for a night or two? Maybe a grandparent/sister/friend?
    That is all it took for my little man to break the habit.
    I left him cry for exactly 10 minutes at a time (no more, no less!)
    Every 10 minutes I went into him and gave him a little kiss and lay him down again.
    The first night he was back to sleep after 40 minutes and the second night he was back to sleep after 15 minutes.
    The third night he slept through - all night long - bliss!! :)
    It was difficult to listen to him crying but I just told myself that he wasn't in pain - he just wanted company and we all had to break the habit - for all our sakes.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I've been through that, i counted a few nights and she woke 11 times each night, needless to say i had a constant migraine for 1.5 years, she grew out of it at 2, it started when she was 6 months old.

SHe will grow out of it, but when?

I never spoke to the gp about it, but i think i should have done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

I put my one year old down at 8.30. so maybe if its possible let yours stay up till 8.30 or 9.00 and she will sleep that bit longer for you. is she in her own room now. My girl is in her own room now and she does wake up occasionaly for her soother ansd gets properly up at 7.30am. i know its so so hard. keep strong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 curver

I put my one year old down at 8.30. so maybe if its possible let yours stay up till 8.30 or 9.00 and she will sleep that bit longer for you. is she in her own room now. My girl is in her own room now and she does wake up occasionaly for her soother ansd gets properly up at 7.30am. i know its so so hard. keep strong!

i was going to say the same thing, try a later bedtime and wake her at the same time each morning to generate a strict routine for her, and put her down for her nap strictly at the same time each day. Maybe this could help?
    For what its worth my 4year old has only started sleeping properly through the night within the last 6 months :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Lalala.... put 2 year old to bed at 8.30pm last night and she slept until 7.30am this morning... I got a full nights sleep for the first time in two years wohoo... let's hope it lasts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

adrieanne__x
    I'm very jealous of the full nights sleep
    Doesn't matter what time I put my little boy to bed, he still gets up early - although he is grumpy if he is put down too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I was going to suggest what 'amiable' said and give a longer nap in the day and a later bed time. My children always slept better at night if they had a long nap in the afternoon. If they were woken early or skipped their nap they would shuffle and wake all night long. Hope the sleeping through continues :)

Advertisement