Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library Opening Hours

Options
  • 06-01-2011 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

So I'm sitting in Aungier St Library wondering why it is closing at half 5 the week before exams. Are they f***cking serious? And does anyone know if Bolton St lib is open late this evening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

muffy wrote: »
    So I'm sitting in Aungier St Library wondering why it is closing at half 5 the week before exams. Are they f***cking serious? And does anyone know if Bolton St lib is open late this evening?
    Check here: http://www.dit.ie/library/openinghours/

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

Find it very strange, have the DIT management no control over the library managers? The library service is a disgrace in particular Kevin Street. There is a article in the current event of the students union magazine toast, the general message there is that the the library managers are looking for 70000 extra to maintain current opening hours. Which are at best are poor.

The shutting of Aungier Street early on Thursday last is in my opinion an attempt by the library managers to bully the college into handing over the money. What I do not understand is why there is so many staff in the first place, what are they all doing and why cant they open longer with the same staff. It not as if the staff are bury or even enforce the silence policy!!

Everyone knows that DIT are at a major disadvantage when it comes to facilities. It's generally an accepted fact but the library is fundamental to the academic side of the college. It will be interesting to see if anything is done by either the students union of the senior management or will the library managers simply be allowed to do whatever they want.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Can't even get a decent stapler at the Kev St. library. Sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darth vadar

I'm in Cathal Brugha St myself but I'm guessing you havent spent much time in Aungier St Library over the last year as they have not opened late on Thursday since before Summer 2010 and neither have Cathal Brugha Street. They lost all their part time staff in the Libraries under the public sector moratorium as their contracts could not be renewed. The staff told me they were paid a €9 per hour with each having a max of 18 hrs per week but they cant be employed anymore. I suppose they all had to reduce their opening hours. I dont know about Bolton St or Kevin St. I find the Cathal Brugha St staff very nice and always helpful. I'm a mature student so generally chat to them every day when I go in. They maintain the quiet rule as much as they can as they have no library porters unlike the universities. I find it good to study in as they are strict with any students who are noisy and its like 3 strikes and your out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Blarp

I'm a postgraduate student in Aungier St. I asked the staff there why they weren't open late for Thursday and Fridays. I work part time too so am really frustrated about the lack of late time opening hours. They told me that it was because they lost all their contract staff due to the government moratorium. A staff member told me that they lost over a third of their staff and do not have enough people to open the library late every night of the week. She said they need a minimum of three or four staff to open for health and safety reasons. When I pushed her for more info she said that she only is allowed work her allowance of thirty something hours by HR and anything over that is considered overtime and will not be paid.
    The staff member told me that a lot of them are frustrated themselves at the situation. One of them said they are hoping to get some contract staff back and I suppose that's where the €70,000 comes in that Toast are talking about. Would that not pay their wages across all the libraries?
    From talking to them I don't think it's as straightforward as the library managers deciding to close the library themselves or doing whatever they want but comes under a wider umbrella of staffing levels, Human Resources policy, government policies etc.

As for the noise in Aungier St. I have seen staff on numerous occassions asking people to keep the noise down and anytime I've approached them to ask them to tell people to be quiet they have done so with no problem. I have asked people myself to shut it. Libraries always have a problem with noise and inconsiderate people who insist on talking loudly or on their phones. It's the same in UCD too but they have porters walking around to police the students.

• Advertisement
Advertisement